Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

David McFarlane - Slingshot F3A Australia

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

David McFarlane - Slingshot F3A Australia

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: David McFarlane - Slingshot F3A Australia

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Nice, you tend to forget how quickly they cover the sky.

After nearly 20 years of service, I'm tempted to pull the Hanno from mine and replace it with an electric setup...
I ought to report this post for blasphemy!
Hey, I didn't say I'd stop using the Hanno.... I'd give it a good home in a profile Extra swinging a 14x4 to practice my hovering [X(]

Seriously though, I still enjoy the SlingShot. Wheels up and humming along like sewing machine. I'd love to scratch build one from wood and try to get 6.5-6.75lbs...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 AM
babbott78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've still got the plans, I had to get my original blueprints photo copied a while back because the blue print was fading. I'll have to get them scanned in now. An all wood one with foam cores would be great, I'm still really happy with mine as it is, the ys115 gives it ballistic vertical power and the plane feels light in the air. I remember you have to be pretty carefull landing the slingshots as I remember seeing a few botched up landings and the fuselarge creasing just before the tail.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM
bjr_93tz

Yep, landings are fun and they were a bit flimsy in the back end. Sometimes you need some wild sideslip angles happening during landing approaches, especially if it's calm, in order to slow it down.

The fun and games... I remember some models of that era with metal tabs soldered to the retract legs to act like drag brakes, but nothing worked better than a huge dose of sideslip. I tried the same trick with my Aries 07 (once) and the thing nearly done a U-turn on me.

I'm about the 8lb mark with mine and believe it feels the weight or maybe the wings are getting a bit floppy. The visual indicator for me that a wing loading is a fraction high (for my liking) is if I have to over pull or over push a radius because the aircraft "springs back" a fraction when I release the elevator. Coupling the ailerons as flaps (ala control line style) helps tidy mine up a bit.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
babbott78

I actually hadn't weighed mine just yet, but from the flights I've put on it, it doesn't appear to spring back after loading the wings. I did route out an indent into the foam and ran some carbon stiffeners/spars under the balsa sheeting though. I actually had carbon stiffners on the inside on the fibreglass fuse as well near the tail, but pulled them out to save on weight, just have the horizontal balsa stiffner at the back now which will be fine if I treat it well on the ground. I mix in flapperons on landing and that appears to slow it down for a reasonable landing, would be a pain without them though! sidesliping the model would work well too. I remember those metal tabs you were talking about as well, that's classic! I have to have the YS115 ticking over idling at the 2000 mark for landing or the plane will just keep flying at anything higher. Still getting used to the best way to sink the model in for landing but flapperons definitely help
Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 AM
FLAPSDOWN

I came across this thread years ago and saved it to my favorites. I picked up a new YS 140 and decided to take the plunge. Does anyone have a scanned image or PDF of the Sling Shot plans. I really prefer to build one but would settle for a Typhoon if I have to.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 PM
bjr_93tz

Hi Bill,

Dave's on Facebook, he might be able to help you out?
https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.mcfarlane.790?fref=ts

The kits were simply fiberglass fuse, foam cores a hand sketch or two and builder figures out the rest.

The SlingShot refered to above was .61 sized, I'm not sure if there was a 2m SlingShot that would suit a 1.40(?) from memory the 2m version was a BigShot?

I doubt you could shoehorn in anything bigger than the YS 115 into the .61 sized plane.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:22 PM
babbott78

Just checking back in on this one, here is my slingshot with a GoPro on the wing tip 😃 with some Faith no More

Old 02-03-2020, 04:22 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, very cool video. No fires where you are it looks like.
The following users liked this post:
babbott78 (02-15-2020)