Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??

Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
ENO
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??

I was just wondering if the JR 10x transmitter can handle a 3cell 11.1v 2500mah Lipo battery pack? We found out that the Tru Rc battery pack fits nicely into the 10x transmitter battery pack.
It comes off a full charge at 12.6 volts. The Futaba transmitters seem to handle it. Not sure a JR10X can handle the voltage though ?? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Would like to know before trying it....hate to find out the hard way!

Thanks
Doc
Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 11.1V Lipo for JR 10X transmitter??

JR says its not recommended due the extra voltage on the output transitor. I know some are using them but the official word is not recommended.

They do however now sell a 2500mah nimh that I am using in my 10X. I replaced the battery in the 10X cartridge with this new pack. Its working great.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPB5011

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 AM
nofuss

Hi Troy, please could you comment on the usage of a Flightpower 3S TX Lipo pack (1500Mah) in the JR 9XII transmitter... I have been using it for the last month and would like to know if I'm at risk at the moment?

Thank you

Danie
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would not do it. The extra Voltage can put stress on the output transistor of the module as I understand it.

I personally would not do it. 2500mah nimh battery is plenty for 5-6 days plus of flying.

I can't speak for your specific situation as your radio is not the same as imported in the USA via Horizon Hobby. The US market is different and the specs on the systems meet different criteria based on the local countries regulations and so on.

The voltage is about 1 to 1.5V extra and this must be handled by the components in the TX. As an engineer I understand the limits and why limits are put on products. The systems are intended for use with 8cell nicd or nimh batteries. These at full charge are about 11-11.4V when they come off my chargers. SO adding in a 12.6V battery pack that stays at that voltage for a very long time is not good in my personal opinion.
Pushing the system outside its design limits could bite you in the rear. If you model is worth it to you to use a lipo on the TX then by all means enjoy. For my models I can charge my TX once a week when I'm flying 5-6 days a week. 2500mah is still 2500mah. I don't have to remove the pack from my TX to charge it and I can just plug it in a forget about it overnight. If needed it can be fast charged in about an hour to 90mins just like a lipo...so what is the advantage to a lipo?

Troy Newman
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Troy Newman

The voltage is about 1 to 1.5V extra and this must be handled by the components in the TX. As an engineer I understand the limits and why limits are put on products. The systems are intended for use with 8cell nicd or nimh batteries. These at full charge are about 11-11.4V when they come off my chargers. SO adding in a 12.6V battery pack that stays at that voltage for a very long time is not good in my personal opinion.
Pushing the system outside its design limits could bite you in the rear. If you model is worth it to you to use a lipo on the TX then by all means enjoy. For my models I can charge my TX once a week when I'm flying 5-6 days a week. 2500mah is still 2500mah. I don't have to remove the pack from my TX to charge it and I can just plug it in a forget about it overnight. If needed it can be fast charged in about an hour to 90mins just like a lipo...so what is the advantage to a lipo?

Troy Newman
Troy,

I agree that pushing anything beyond it's design limits is a bad idea, but I would also be surprised that the input voltage is not regulated if for no other reason that to keep input voltage stabilized. If someone wanted to use a lithium battery they could always put a regulator in line between the pack and the radio electronics, but then the voltage display would be ineffective since it would be seeing the output of the regulator and not the actual battery pack voltage. That could very well cause a rekitted plane.

I switched to Li-Ion in my Multiplex a couple years ago and have not looked back, but that radio happens to take an nominal input voltage of 7.2v which works out well for a two cell Li-ion pack. As for the advantage of Lithium technology batteries (I personally don't like Li-Po due to the chance of fire); no memory effect and they don't discharge while sitting on the shelf like a Ni-Cad or Ni-MH.

Just my $0.98 ($0.02 adjusted for inflation)
Pete
Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Jim Grunt

A friend of mine tried to tell me it is ok but the batt. he got from 2dog rc for his spectrum on a full charge makes the screen flicker untill the voltage comes down. I would not try it if I were you Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
bla bla

I've been using custom made-up 2500mah Ni-MH packs in my 10X for years now.
They've worked just fine, super non critical maintenance and plenty of capasity
I can't really see what Lipo would give you except something else to have to think/worry about, fiddle with and maintain.

Regarding the diode in the 10X cell holder, I just by-passed it for the Ni-MH so I would get any nonsense when using a computer charger.
Works great.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

I would recommend getting the 2500 nickel metal from fromeco. Even if the radio would handle the 11.1 pack the low voltage alarm can get you in trouble since it would now be set too low for the 11.1 pack and can get you in trouble. My buddy got a duralite pack and it comes with a warning label to remind you of the "no fly " voltage.

Albert
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Doc I say you limit your charger to putting in 12volts. That's what I'm going to do. Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
leoni

Hello, please visit http://www.rcmaterial.com/tienda/index.php?cPath=21_29
Up and right of your window you can see lipo bat for transmiters whit reduction voltage, i´m wear this in my Graupner/jr MX 22 and work perfectly, better than my old 1800 mha niquel metal, bay, Andres.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
wind junkie

These are back in stock RIGHT NOW:

http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/read...s.htm#TX_packs

These packs are $30 each!

I have 1 9303, 1 XP3909, 1 DX7 and 3 8103's all using these packs.

Last Fall I flew a single airplane 3 times per week at least 5 flights per evening, 10 minutes per flight on an 8103 with this pack and didn't need to charge it for over a month. Another 8103 gets heavy use flying slope every month or so on average and lasts for over 4 hours of continuous flying, depending on the temperature. The 3rd 8103 sits next to my computer and operates a lot of G3 or G4 aircraft. That pack has only been re-charged about 3 times in 2 years. The XP9303 is brand new, but the older 9303 absolutely needed a larger battery due to its high current draw and operates a lot of different planes in many environments. The DX7 has several different models on it now, and after 9 months of sporadic use shows similar longevity as the 8103's. It's also noticeably lighter than any of my other TX's. Based on my success with the 8103's over the past 2.5 years, I wouldn't consider anythng else.

I've never had good luck quick charging nickel metal hydride batteries, so this was a super attractive option for me given the super low self discharge of lithium cells. These packs have balancing connectors, so I don't ever worry charging them (out of the TX), but I do stand by while doing so.

I really can't say enough good things about these packs. Everyone I tell about these thanks me repeatedly and it seems this company is continually sold out, so to me that says they have a lot of happy customers.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
apereira

I have rebuilt my 10X pack with 2800Mah NiMh from energizer, never runs out and I didn't disturb anything on the radio or the battery case, the original pack I got lasted one year only, if capacity is what you are looking for, why taking a chance on risking or not your radio when actually nobody knows for sure if it is ok or not on the electronics?

Just my opinion. Regards
Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Adamg-RCU

I ran a 3s lipo in my 10X for two years. No problems.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
jbudd

Hey Adam,

What happened after the two years were up? Did you stop, or are they still in use?

Thx, Jerry
Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Adamg-RCU

I sold the 10X and bought a Aggressor, which is powered by a 3s1320 and loving it.
I've also spent months (3+) using 9CAPs and 9Xs on 3s lipo. All worked far better than with round cells (lighter, longer run time, faster charge...).
Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
dtm360

I could never get the battery bar to read FULL on my 9XII (9303) until I switched over to Lipos. No problems in the last year.......
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
OhD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have flown 3 cell lithiums in my Futaba 9ZAP for years and would never go back to NIxx. Lithiums have many advantages. However, I did have two RF modules go bad during this time. I now have a 14MZ that is designed for 2 cells so I am satisfied, but if I had to go back to a transmitter designed for 10 volts I'd figure out a way to drop the voltage from a 3 cell Lithium pack.

Jim O
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 AM
fluffy11
My Feedback: (15)

with the 10x what lipo did you use for battery box my turnigy to big hope someone can help
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Isuggest that, in spite of any reports that someone got away with using a 3SLiPo in a 10X, or any other JR transmitter, that you don't do it. It voids the warranty, and can cause a failure. It's an even bigger gamble if you do it with a Spektrum based JRtransmitter, since there is a voltage regulator that takes it down to Ithink 5V, maybe lower. Using a3S pack in that scenario will causethat voltage regulator to overheat.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 AM
icaro

I´m using Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 1C LLF Tx Pack (Futaba/JR) for a long time and works perfectly. No hot inside the radio. Only hot in my hands because use many hours continuisly..

Its not true that regulator overhead... sorry.