Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Synergy 90 3D updates....

Old 04-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy 90 3D updates....

Any more news of anyone flying this awesome bird?

Picked one up this weekend. Hope to fly it Weds of this week....

Pugs
Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 PM
robert

Default Re: Synergy 90 3D updates....

Originally posted by Pugsley
Hope to fly it Weds of this week....
Pugs

And sell it by Friday.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist....
Old 04-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Pugsley-RCU

Default You never know....

You can always tell which planes I like.....

Pugs
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 PM
mikey-3d

hi pugsley
im currently flying one,wat an ausome piece of kit.flys very well
and true at any angle.3d is good aswell,the rudder is unreal,this is the only model ive flown that will do a perfect knifeedge loop.
you wont be dissapointed.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:29 AM
BocaBen

I was ready to fly mine this week-end but I had a minor problem.
During the first engine run on the ground, I realized that the canopy floor was cracked open from the tank expansion (I have the YS110 on it). The tank I'm using is the Hayes SL16 that fits perfectly in there (see the other thread) but leaves little room for expansion. As a solution, I taped the thank with some duct tape and glassed the bottom side of the canopy floor to reinforce it.
I originally used some wide sticky velcro tape between the tank and the canopy floor to keep it in place, but it added some thickness which didn't help either.

The CG on mine came at 24.5cm from the trailing edge. I would have had to place the battery (5 cells 1650mAh NiMh) right over the tank to achieve 24cm. I placed it in front of the tank and ended up with 24.5cm which should be fine for the first couple flights. If too forward, I would then move the battery right behind the tank. To get that CG, I moved the YS110 as far back on the mount as I could, without modification of the cowling.

I also reinforced the stab with 2 aluminum tubes on the bottom (see other thread) coming from a Raptor 30 boom support.

Outside the lack of manual (which I think Mark is working on), this airplane was a joy to build with everything fitting in correctly and nicely. Just be sure to use the THICK beveled piece of plywood for the SIDE thrust, NOT for the down thrust. I scratched my head for a while on why the spinner was impossible to line up correctly with the cowling until a re-read one of the previous thread!!!!

Ben
Old 04-22-2003, 08:30 PM
mikey-3d

hi boca
i mounted my battery pack on the wing bolt mount itself,nice and secure and you get the desired cg.i know what you mean about side thrust mount plate.goona fly it again tommorow and the weather looks good.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:00 PM
robert

How much work did you have to do before it was ready to fly? And what radio gear is everone using?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Pugsley-RCU

Default Mine too....

The canopy floor is real crap on this plane. I had to cut mine all out cause it was cracking and the covering was coming up. I really need a new canopy to fix it up right. It was glued on....

Anyway...

I am using 4721's on the ailerons and elevators. 8411 on the rudder, and a 9202 on the throttle. JR 10 X is the tx....

Pugs.....
Old 04-23-2003, 10:42 AM
BocaBen

Pug, crap is too big of a word in my view.

The problem I had is definitively my fault. I am not blaming anybody for building light, in fact, I praise them! I should have known that a thank that fills all that space will expand, and sice the other side is reinforced with fiberglass (the wing), I should have guessed that the flooring would give, expecially with the thickness of the velcro.

Ben
Old 04-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Pugsley-RCU

Default Yeah...

crap is probably too much....

My only real compaint is the covering coming up......cause the floor cracked.

It is a awesome plane though....

Pugs
Old 04-23-2003, 07:16 PM
mikey-3d

im using 9303futaba on elevators and 9404s on rudder and ailerons,9zap to guide them,how are you guys getting on with the 3d flying off this plane?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:27 PM
robert

Cool, 9404 on rudder, and 9202 everywhere else (apart from throttle) is where I'm going.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:57 PM
The boys Back

i got Futaba 9250 on ailerons and elevators and a Jr 8411 on the rudder. Just waiting for my YS 110 to turn up.
has anybody hard mounted their YS? as i think the extra weight of a Hyde mount up the front would mean mounting the battery on a stick poking out the back of the plane
Old 04-23-2003, 10:11 PM
robert

I was advised to stick to the supplied mount, as it is a wooden airplane, and soft mounting was not advised....dunno why, but I have his word for it.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:10 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard mounting no problem

You will not have any problems hard mounting the YS on this airplane. Tap the motor mount for 4mm screws but add nylon lock nuts underneath also.

As Robert said, this wooden fuselage does not have the same problems with the higher frequency vibrations as composite fuselages.

Mark
Old 04-24-2003, 08:28 AM
cameron

But it would be better for the noise side of things and radio gear to use one?

If it is not neccessary to use a soft mount, then why do 2m all wood designs still use them?

Oh and Mark, I just saw the reprint of your Enigma construction thread in the APA newsletter, it turned out well.
The Double vision and Excess are in there too.
a good promotion for ZN, which is good, as very few of your planes are seen around here, mostly local wooden designs, some composites to, but not alot.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:55 AM
MarkNovack

Default 2m wood airplanes.

Cameron,
Great question. Particularly why I used the phrase "this wooden fuselage".

On the top notch wooden 2meter airplanes (ultralight OK models and the such), they are a hollow shell of very light weight balsa with minimal doubler structure, recessed firewall that is often honeycomb, that must also pass very rigid noise standards, normally turning 1.40 motors. They are designed to use soft mounts, but are they truly necessary? I might be inclined to test it if I was given a couple of built up OK models airplanes...he-he!!!

The composite fuselages amplify noise for the ears and vibration to the electronics to a much greater degree than wooden fuselages do. Other issues arise in composite fuselages that make dampening of the higher frequency vibrations beneficial also.

On the Synery 90, I can assure you from experience that using the supplied mount with a YS110 will afford one no problems. As far as an extra decibal of noise, if you use a 110, you will rarely find the need to use full throttle.

Mark
Old 04-24-2003, 11:15 AM
robert

What other bits, bar radio gear and engine do you need to finnish the Synergy Mark?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:16 AM
robert

Oh, and where are all the pics and vids?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:56 AM
MarkNovack

Default Got the camera.

I went out and got a really nice camera...now I need this firewire cable card interface thingy, and something else, and some time, and some knowledge. Plus, all of the video I have shot was on days so windy that the torque rolls went flying by faster than I could follow.

Let's see, accesories. If you want the tank on the CG, then a different tank is in order. The only thing I think that is really needed, as in must, is a couple of horns for the ailerons. I have no problem with the stock horns on the elevator, and the rudder stuff is nice, but the ailerons are going to need a quality offset horn. I use the ZN horns, but these are Euro18.00 for a pair. I think the Robert Super Horns would be good.

Mark
Old 04-24-2003, 12:17 PM
robert

I have some nice MK horns but they are not offset.....bugger.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:23 PM
mikey-3d

i mounted my ys 91 on a hyde mount cause i wondered about noise,damn cost me 80 od quid,i hardley use full throttle due to the power to weight ratio even when tourqe rolling,its only on about half throttle.