Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern Plane Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern Plane Recommendation

Mark,

Wow, when you decided to give F3A "a try" you weren't messing around. I wish I could move that fast. We should probably PM before we get yelled at for being chatty. But Hal Perenti? Seriously? Gotta share a Hal story. As the story goes, there was at a pattern event in the Chicago area and Hal's pattern plane was out of commission. He won the event flying his Japanese Zero that eventually ended up as the Top Flite design.

We'll catch up after I have the P6 farther along.

Bill
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Great idea Wayne. I made some edits and thanks for the suggestion. Remember Bill, assume positive intent.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
FLAPSDOWN

John,

Thanks for tipping me off on the Typhoon plans. It's perfect and exactly what I was looking for. Besides, I'm a better builder than flyer. That's why I ended up in scale.

I'm stopping tonight at Kinko's with the PDFs on a thumb drive. With snow flying in Chicago, it's perfect weather for flying, down to the basement to look at plans and dream about flying.

Best,

Bill
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FLAPSDOWN,

No harm done - I don't think you need to remove or close down the thread, it has a lot of information that may be useful to others. As a suggestion, you may want to go back and edit your post, and I'll do likewise with mine.
We are all modellers and I think the intent of this site is to help others as much as we can.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Very well put Wayne.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM
jgg215

You're welcome.
It's great when you can start a thread like this and actually end up with a solution to your generally phrased question.
I'm envious of both you and Scott on your way to having a new Typhoon. I'd consider it but I already have a long list to build first and still have a Lotus 4S from that era anyway.
John
Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Flapsdown
You might try looking at Eureka Aricraft at www.eurekaaircraft.com
They offer classic pattern planes.
Also check out Frequentflyer on RCU. RCaiir.com
My personal preference is the original Tiger Tail. Had three over the years. Simple build with foam wings and built up or foam stab.
Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Flapsdown
My personal preference is the original Tiger Tail. Had three over the years. Simple build with foam wings and built up or foam stab.
Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a show-quality Typhoon at a hobby shop in SoCal with fixed gear and wheel pants that I'd love to have. It's a 2 stroke with pipe, super looking ship.
I'm going electric in AMA but that model definitely was trying to draw me in!
Chris...
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a show-quality Typhoon at a hobby shop in SoCal with fixed gear and wheel pants that I'd love to have. It's a 2 stroke with pipe, super looking ship.
I'm going electric in AMA but that model definitely was trying to draw me in!
Chris...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I once had an R&R Solution, it was pretty much a Typhoon knockoff, great airplane. Mine was powered with a Webra 120 and Bisson muffler. I'm still kicking myself for not only selling that one but one I had NIB.We all need an airplane time machine LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

"I'm going electric" in AMA but that model definitely was trying to draw me in!
Chris...
No Chris, no!!

I do understand the draw to it, my bro and I still brew our own so the cost is still tolerable (even the 30% stuff). Hope everything works out over there at AA for you.
Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: FLAPSDOWN
Mark,

Wow, when you decided to give F3A "a try" you weren't messing around. I wish I could move that fast. We should probably PM before we get yelled at for being chatty. But Hal Perenti? Seriously? Gotta share a Hal story. As the story goes, there was at a pattern event in the Chicago area and Hal's pattern plane was out of commission. He won the event flying his Japanese Zero that eventually ended up as the Top Flite design.
We'll catch up after I have the P6 farther along.

Bill
Yep, I heard that Hal story too Bill, and it's a true one; I think it was at the old Chicagoland contest!
The price was right for the F3A stuff, and I had a few coffee jugs full of loose change.....! It's your thread OP, we can be all kinds of chatty. Ditto on the catching up pal, talk to you soon.
Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: Zero
Flapsdown
Good Luck.
++1 on the Tiger Tail Zero! Simple build, great flyer. I have a 30 year old scratched out one (shows it too) for knocking around and a soon to be flying Tiger Tail III. The Tiger T was my first 60 sized pattern ship in 1977.
Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you want a fast plane that flies fast like the older planes but is big like the newer planes, there is the Bridi Giant Kaos available from BlueJay.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

If you want a fast plane that flies fast like the older planes but is big like the newer planes, there is the Bridi Giant Kaos available from BlueJay.
There is also a 2X2 dirty Birdy available.............I can imagine that one with an OPS Maxi 30cc set up rear exahust with an enclosed pipe!!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

There is also a 2X2 dirty Birdy available.............I can imagine that one with an OPS Maxi 30cc set up rear exahust with an enclosed pipe!!

Speed I briefly looked at the 2X2 Dirty Bird on the website. Looks very good. Let me recommend the SAP 30cc gasoline engine for that one. Rear exhaust which takes the OS140 header from Macs/Tower and ES 30G or 40G pipe. Turning a 16x12 apc, it would make a very interesting plane. The engine is superbly reliable, one I've used the previous two full seasons in current pattern.

The DB 2x2 could be built to weigh in at 10 pounds flat...power to burn at that weight. I'd build it with trike retracts tho. Just wouldn't look right with taildragger set-up

The BIG Kaos also looks very interesting but for something a little larger in power plant
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM
speedracerntrixie

No doubt the SAP 30cc would be the ideal engine, I have just always wanted the OPS LOL Then again I told the bride I would not start any new airplanes for a year. No issue as I have at least a years projects in the garage.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 AM
CANIFLYIT

I just posted in the Pattern section of the Sale area a Gator R/C fiberglass kit for the Typhoon. It includes honeycombed wing cores, foam stab, rudder, and fiberglass fuse with belly pan and canopy. This is a nice kit. Make me an offer.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Bryan Silwanicz

Default Patricia

I may have an old school Patricia for sale soon. Just need to do some research as to what she may be worth. Build and flown by Bob Silwanicz in the '70s.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:33 PM
babbott78

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPSDOWN
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It's been a long time since I looked at this thread. To be honest, I sort of gave up my search and built a Super Kaos to knock around. I recently received a PM about my search for a modern F3A pattern plane, so it rekiddled my interest.

My difficulties stem from two things. I don't like the looks of most designs. They seem stubby, not sleak and streamlined like a Tiporare, Curare, or Dirty Birdy. They also rarely have retracts. Money isn't the issue at all, this is an expensive hobby.

I'm continuing my search. I need a break away from scale warbirds and something a little more high tech than a Kaos. I stumbled across the picture below of an Australian design, the Slingshot. It's long, sleak, and even has retracts! I can see why that guy is smiling. It's exactly what I'm looking for and....they're not made any more and the happy fellow hasn't logged into RC Universe since 2010. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap either but probably cheaper than shipping from Australia. I'd still buy one though.

Also is a picture of what I'm exactly not looking for. I'm sure a beautiful flyer far exceeding my capabilities. Also, short, fat, stubby and landing gear simliar to those strapped to an IMAC plane. If I was looking for an IMAC plane, I wouldn't have retired my Extra300. The search continues.

Bill
thanks for the kind words! I’m that happy fellow

I still have the plans for the Slingshot, and the fuse/cores were from David McFarlane (Modelsports, Wollongong). I love flying this plane and still have it, it was my favorite as a kid, especially watching David McFarlane and the top guys fly it. Here is a video for you too if it with a GoPro mounted to the wing tip. Let me know if you need any help, I think the fuse/cores are hard to find now. I’m running a YS115 in it on a Hyde mount, has loads of power