Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OMP 80" Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 80" Fusion

Would I be allowed to compete in the higher classes with an Ohio Model Producs Fusion. I realize I would have to shorten the wings a touch. I would like to hit 1 or 2 pattern contest and this would be the closest thing I would have to a pattern plane.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OMP 80" Fusion

There are also the noise limits and the 5kg weight limit to meet, as well.

Mark
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Andy, check your SUAF PM's.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll go on record and say that any Contest director should allow you to compete with that setup. The NATS may be a different consideration. But locally at at local contest...there should be no situation where the contest is so large they should turn you away.

Just for reference our pattern contest in Phoenix in February had 32 pilots. We could have taken another 10 pilots and flown them through regardless of their models used.

Also for reference the same club hosted the Cactus Classic IMAC contest a couple weeks ago and had 70+ pre-registered pilots.

There is not a pattern contest in the country that meets these kinds of numbers on a local level so yes they should allow you to fly with it. Contact the CD's and tell them you want to come and fly a certain class and you have an airplane that is not per the rules...based on size and that its an 80" model....they should allow it. If they don't then let us know and we'll put the screws to them.

I'm not in favor of changing any of the weight limits, size limits or noise limits. These are guides to get us to the models we are using. However I don't think its right to turn a newcomer and a local competitor away because his model is 1.25" over in wing span. Or his model is 1-2-3 even 16oz overweight.

The idea is to have fun compete and enjoy the hobby. Allowing other guys to play is part of that fun. Until we get to where we have 75 pilots pre-registered for a contest and have to close registration like the IMAC folks are doing in our part of the country there is no reason at all to turn away a pilot that wants to play.

Just my opinion and I'm sure the flames will come....But I think its more important to have new blood than it is to quote line and verse from the rule book regarding the model specs. In the air the model spec is NOT going to matter much. Now if it was a 40% or the likes I think you are pushing the limits a bit. But most of these 50cc jobs and 120-140 sized arfs out there are good aerobatic planes and people should use them.

I didn't say change the rules...just locally fly what you got.

Troy Newman
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Troy Newman

Just my opinion and I'm sure the flames will come....

Troy Newman
Troy, I agree with you. It would be stupid to turn people away. The only reason I mentioned the noise and weight limits is he asked about flying the higher classes. Sportsman should let anybody fly that has a functional aircraft but I am not so certain of the rules in higher classes.

Mark
Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
budgetdude

Thanks guys I guess what I am getting at is if I meet weight sound and wingspan criteria would it frowned upon for being a profile.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 PM
bwick

Andy,

Would absolutely not be frowned upon. Weight, sounds, and size are never enforced at a local contest. Not to any I've been to at least....

At a local contest it's a very relaxed, open, and supportive environment. Bring whatever you want to fly, in reason, and you'll be allowed to fly any class. Go to one contest and you'll have a pattern plane on order the next weekend anyways
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Andy,

Hope things are going well up north. The fusion is a good flying plane and you'd certainly be able to fly it if you met all the requirements. I have flown them and you'd definitely be at a disadvantage with it as it doesnt fly anywhere near as nice as the other planes. The lower classes, I don't think you'd have any problems, but from Advanced on up you'd definitely be at a major disadvantage.

Arch
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
budgetdude

Hey Arch, things are going well up here how about you. I am not sure what I am going to do as I may only fly in a couple of local contest. Do you think I would be alot better off getting the advante 2 going???