Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

European Championship 2008 - Brescia Italy

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

European Championship 2008 - Brescia Italy

Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: European Championship 2008 - Brescia Italy

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

I think we all agree on the sporting code, point is, it's very unlikely that CPLR screwed up TWO stall tun in the above clip. The first one, if you're following the smoke trail is miles off... and if we're watching the smoke trail, he's several more mile of the vertical line going down. Conclusion: Wind as mentioned?
I don't know...I didn't see anything in that video that suggested there was more than a slight breeze; certainly not 'windy'.

Do you <collective group> find stall turns easier or harder when there is no wind? Would you carry just a little more power to prevent the dreaded flop?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
jaaskela

When flying on their normal level, top guys like CPLR and Seba hardly ever get less than an 8 for any individual maneuver. In a big championship contest you just can´t afford getting a lot of 6:s or 7:s or you might have a difficult time making it even to the semis. And since CPLR won the prelims at the EC, it´s obvious that he didn´t zero or severely downgrade pretty much anything on that video flight.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM
David Bathe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A slight breeze... could well be. 2meters per second?
A two second stall turn... then you're off by 4m.
Even if you're absolutely spot on. If you're have a wing span out, then it's 5m.

With regards to your question I used to do the throttle off- Dead stop-a little blast of engine and rotate trick.
Then I saw everyone else keeping on the power some. Slowing down and then rotate.

Must say when I'm 150 plus meters out and high... it's very difficult for me to judge EXACTLY when it stops never mind was it within a half wing span etc![]
Old eyes, bad brain.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

I think CPLR and everyone else who flies pattern knows what a real snap and stall turn should look like
but I guess it's just human nature to get away with what the judges will let you get away with.

tommy s
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Rules are rules and they need to be adhered to. If the judges bend them because of who's flying they are wrong. That is fundamental to what we do.
As far as styles and exceptance of something different than how the rules define it we see it all the time. It's kind of an evolution and it's usually lead by top flyers. It's wrong and it's up to "Good Judges"! to fix it. Their exceptance and bending of the rules only confuses the situation.
Stall turns in a slight crosswind are far easier than in no wind. The plane will naturally weather vane.
Any top flyer can adhere to the proper method to execute a manuever if the alternative is a downgrade or a 0. So it's the interpretation by the judges that determines how they will do it.
I don't like CLPR's snaps but I wouldn't downgrade them if I were his judge. To me a snap is a go or no go manuever. If it ain't a roll or a barrel roll than it's probably a snap. This whole thing that some want to see the nose break is a bunch of bunk to me.
Thanks for letting me chime in, Mike Mueller
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
highfly3D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now see i will put it this way.... if Judges are not judging it properly the way they should be..Hide the pilots identity & let them judge the flying do not disclose who is flying the model now how dose this sound this will really put judges in a great problem if so.... real i remember in 2005 worlds F3A Chip Hyde had posted a long... note here on RCU regarding what happened with them in France & now i firmly believe whats really going on... in the backend............. i firmly belive in hiding the pilots identity... & let the judges judge the maneuver.. & of course we can also later see the video & judge whats wrong & whats perfect....

High
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM
amram

I also have a seggestion: Hide the Airplane only!
Best resolution at field as well as outside the field.
:-) (Just kiding...)
Amram
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video is interesting - kinda looks like he had the prelims locked in and just going through the motions during that flight. In my view (and recognizing camera issues), the snaps are excellent and the stall turns are wingovers. It also appears there are large discrepencies in line lengths before and after rolls in several maneuvers. That being said, I closely observed CPLR's flights in Argentina last year and was impressed with his skills and particularly that he was extremely precise with details of even the low K maneuvers. He clearly is one of the very best F3A pilots - maybe the camera just caught him in an off moment, gee - he's actually human! As noted, don't have the scores for the video flight so maybe the scores were accuratge.