Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Spark ignition on YS170 DZ

Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spark ignition on YS170 DZ

Chris,

My understanding is ignition and low oil are independant of one another. Just applying ignition does not allow you to run low oil content, you need to ensure your 170 has the appropriate internal parts. If you pull the cam gear cover off the cam follower should have a spiral groove on it, if not then you do not have a low oil 170.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes total sense - thanks Chad. My 170 is back for TLC after a season of massive abuse on my part. I will ask them if they can put in the lower oil parts (assuming they are available.)
Old 11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When four cycle model engines first hit the scene-there were x spurts claiming they needed NO oil and some claiming 5% and some 10% on and on and on
going from OS-to Ys to Enya and Saito, we found that overall as competition engines that is run at max power a lot in paternplanes - a good all around oil content was 20% synthetic This was starting in early 1980s and after switching to gasoline and spark engines for larger models the same old discussions started again.
Less oil means more power
the answer to this is B U L L S H I P
aircooled engines require MORE lube than liquid cooled engines .and reducing oil to some measly amount just narrows the window on heat tolerance.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
crhammond

Dick - I am with you on oil. I recently went from 100:1 to 32:1 in my gassers and they wear longer, make WAY more power and run cooler. I am converted.

My reason fro the low oil parts is not to use low oil (well maybe a tiny bit less like 15%) but because from Chad's description it sounds like they have made a spiral channel that gets more oils to the cam gears. In a YS (or any 4-stroke) that can only be a good thing
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: crhammond

Dick - I am with you on oil. I recently went from 100:1 to 32:1 in my gassers and they wear longer, make WAY more power and run cooler. I am converted.

My reason fro the low oil parts is not to use low oil (well maybe a tiny bit less like 15%) but because from Chad's description it sounds like they have made a spiral channel that gets more oils to the cam gears. In a YS (or any 4-stroke) that can only be a good thing
OS has the best take on this part of the 4 stroker - the old Saitos were horrible the spur cut gears on the cams would easily end up dry and squeaking. YS was darn good too I modified OS supercharged (a real turkey) OS91 (a gem) and YS to get max power and they oiled well as long as you ran a good mix 20-1 and set th needles right etc.. but adding ignition nd still running alky and oil is a great setup
Today ther are ignitions which are very inexpensive and work well . a few years back any decent conversion was well over 100bucks.
I have gone to A123 batts and electrics for my aerobatic stuff
screw the FAI rules those were made to control the products used .
Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Less oil means more power
the answer to this is B U L L S H I P
aircooled engines require MORE lube than liquid cooled engines .and reducing oil to some measly amount just narrows the window on heat tolerance.
Gordon Jennings researched this on air-cooled 2 stroke motorcycle engines and found that more oil made more power, all the way down to something like 18:1 which was the limit of his testing. Yes, it makes more exhaust goop, too, but it makes more power and your engines are happier with the extra oil.

Mark
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 AM
crhammond

We're getting alittle off track but 32:1 in my DA 100 makes a GIGANTIC difference in power. Lots more mess but if you wax the plane it wipes off easy.

I like CH ignitions. They cost a little more than the cheap ones but they are proven rock solid. I had 3 $175 DA ignitions fail on me this summer. Not good. One cost me a very expensive 40%er (admittedly some pilot error and bad luck was also involved.) The others just resulted in reminding me I need to work out and eat right after my heart got going (both were greaser landings.)

I had a lot of troubles learning my YS170 this season. I kinda got the hang of it after 300 flights or so but even with a delay start glow driver I had a lot of kickbacks. When it works its like a swiss watch with GOBS of horsepower.

On my Comp-Arf Integral I am using a 2300 A123 and a heavy Aluminum spinner and I could still (just) make FAI weight with an ignition system (I might need a lighter spinner and to look to save and ounce or two here and there.) But I am still some years away from flying FAI. I will fly Masters for next season but I will mostly be flying Pattern just for the practice since it is the hardest thing. I find it makes my IMAC flying seem not so difficult. An ignition Alky system should make a fantastic setup for a 2M plane that I can fly every day (keep it in the car and stop by the field for an hour whenever I can.)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
XIGRIS

Hi,

Back in this subject

This end of season, I try a new intersting set up.

I change the ignition system of yamada in order to use becker system in place.
A frien of me help me to make modification on a YS 170cdi

There is only one modification to do for using the yamada sensor : change the magnet position of the yamada rotative valve.

In order to have better ignition, I change the becker plug of spark for a muller spark and we use a new system of spark fixation

On the photos you can see the new maget position to have ignition when the piston is high
On the second photo you can see the new spark fxation at the top of cylinder

The main advantage of this modification is weight : 65 g for this set up and 110 g for yamada system

I haven't miss firing with this set up

Spark fixation is better than yamada with vibration the spark never go away

Xigris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51628.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1652995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22058.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1652996  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
XIGRIS

have nice day
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Xigris, I really like the suppport tab soldered to the plug cap, neat idea.

Saving 45g has to be a plus too...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: crhammond

We're getting alittle off track but 32:1 in my DA 100 makes a GIGANTIC difference in power. Lots more mess but if you wax the plane it wipes off easy.

I like CH ignitions. They cost a little more than the cheap ones but they are proven rock solid. I had 3 $175 DA ignitions fail on me this summer. Not good. One cost me a very expensive 40%er (admittedly some pilot error and bad luck was also involved.) The others just resulted in reminding me I need to work out and eat right after my heart got going (both were greaser landings.)

I had a lot of troubles learning my YS170 this season. I kinda got the hang of it after 300 flights or so but even with a delay start glow driver I had a lot of kickbacks. When it works its like a swiss watch with GOBS of horsepower.

On my Comp-Arf Integral I am using a 2300 A123 and a heavy Aluminum spinner and I could still (just) make FAI weight with an ignition system (I might need a lighter spinner and to look to save and ounce or two here and there.) But I am still some years away from flying FAI. I will fly Masters for next season but I will mostly be flying Pattern just for the practice since it is the hardest thing. I find it makes my IMAC flying seem not so difficult. An ignition Alky system should make a fantastic setup for a 2M plane that I can fly every day (keep it in the car and stop by the field for an hour whenever I can.)
You might consider using Ed Alt's IBEC. You can run on just the airborne battery pack with the IBEC. If you are using a separate 2300ma 123, you will save the weight of the bat and switch for a cost of 17 grams (and $55). Turn the CDI on-off from your TX. Safer than "normal" set-ups too
Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I definitely recommend Ed's IBEC. Works great and was a really nice addition to my CDI's,

Arch