Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Can some expert show how they use the Futaba flight condition?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Can some expert show how they use the Futaba flight condition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can some expert show how they use the Futaba flight condition?

Hi all

As I have a 12FGH, I want to maximized the flight condition capabilities but the instruction is terrible on how to get the best out of it.

Also I want to know how and what way to optimized setup. I have 3 diff rates for my ail, rudder, elev, and also landing mode with airbrake. Some rudder-elev mix for knife edge, vertical down line throttle to elev mix.

This is my first foray into pattern flying from glider plane.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Can some expert show how they use the Futaba flight condition?

I don't have any experience with 'conditioning' or most of the functions you mentioned.

However I just got into pattern flying this season; it requires a whole new concentration level than sport flying (and flying gliders). I have found that for my first, and probably even my second season, the best thing for me is to have to flip as few switches as possible. I need to learn all the characteristics of my plane before I start mixing things in or out, and need to be able to fly the plane, as is, though the whole routine. Once I can do this comfortably and successfully, I can say "hey, my plane needs some work in this maneuver, let me try mixing or conditioning something".

Another thing to think about is the schedule you'll be flying. If you start at the basic "sportsmans" level like I did, the maneuvers are basic - building blocks for the higher levels - and shouldn't need much mixing or conditioning.

I have dual rates in my radio. Through two meets I found that the only thing I needed was more rudder throw, and possibly a low rate on rudder for landing or something. I haven't learned (or trimmed) the plane well enough to decide it needs mixes yet. Also properly trimming a pattern plane is very important, and I need to work on my trimming skills and get my plane properly trimmed before I can truly say it needs any help from a computer.

Just my $.02. Hope it's relevant.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magna,

Think of each flight condition as a "new" model..it allows you with the flip of a switch to change ANYTHING you want. A lot of people would use them for snaps and spins where you might want different rates for all surfaces. Dual rates allow you to change the rates of each surface, but with flight modes you can actually adjust expo, end points, whatever you want. Flight modes are great, but be careful as too many can just confuse you when flying. I have one for snaps, but try to set the plane up to fly the rest of the pattern with one rate so that I'm not constantly flipping switches. Some people flip a lot of switches and are still competitive...that is just my personal setup, I try to limit what I use. I have a 14MZ, but probably could do most of what I do with any 7 channel radio. It is nice to have all of the features. I use them on my bigger airplanes a lot more though as I have 3D setups and normal flying setups.

Arch
Old 12-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Magna

Hi all

Thanks for the input.

While I'm getting more flight in and focusing on the local chapter entry level schedule, there are some very basic 2-3 mixes only. Some I can leave it on, some have to activated particularly for a move such as vertical downline that tend to pull. I'm still trimming my CG..getting closer to where most of my move speed range.

Just wish Futaba instruction manual could be better.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 AM
stek79

Hi,
I'm certainly not an expert, I'll leave more thoughtful replies to the bigs, but perhaps I can still give some suggestion to begin with.

One thing I've learned is that, as Arch correctly pointed out, all these functions add complexity. I've found that trying to imitate an expert setup - let's say many conditions for different maneuvers - is not the optimal thing to do IF you are still learning pattern flying. I've done that, created multiple conditions just because I've seen other pilots do that. Later I discovered that I was still tweaking my normal flight condition and I did not use very often the other ones.

So, I could say that if you are beginning with pattern flight, or if you are asking "what conditions should I have", I would say to start with ONE and work on that to give you the best of your performance - it will takes months, really!

In my case, later on when I started to compete and flying the sequence all the day, I've FOUND that I NEEDED other conditions to spin, snap and stall turn more easily. Then I started to apply them and I'm happy now, I've found that you can fly much more precise using them.

But the point is that you have to NEED them, IMHO.

Hope this help you!