Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Modification on flight time

Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Modification on flight time

January2010

A competitor is allowed eight (8) minutes for each flight. The timing of a flight
starts when the contest director, or timekeeper, gives an instruction to the
competitor to start. The timing device/clock will be interrupted when the
competitor is ready to take the sound measurement. Helpers who place the
model aircraft, must ensure that the model aircraft is placed in the correct
position, as instructed by the officials. When the contest director/sound
steward is satisfied that he has obtained a reading from the SLM, he will
indicate this to the competitor, and the timing device will be re-activated to
continue the timing process. Before the timing device/clock reaches the 3-
minute mark, the model aircraft must show a deliberate forward movement for
the take-off (throttle advanced). If the model aircraft does not roll forward
deliberately before/at the 3-minute-mark, the contest director/time keeper will
advise the competitor and helper that the flight may not proceed. The flight
shall score zero points. Under normal circumstances, the clock/timing device
continues to run, and when reaching the 8-minute mark, the contest
director/time keeper will advise the competitor, helper, and the judges, and
judging/scoring will stop at that point. The clock will be stopped when the
wheels of the model aircraft touch the ground for landing, as proof to the
competitor of the recorded time.
No penalty is assigned to the competitor if the expiry of the 8-minute timing
period occurs after the last manoeuvre, but before the landing. Thus, the
wheels of the model aircraft may touch the ground after the 8-minute mark,
with no penalty to the competitor.
The competitor may not start his model aircraft unless he has been instructed by a
flight line official to do so. Deliberate starts at the flight line during official flying to
check the propulsion device will be subject to disqualification from that round. No
public address or commentary should be made during flights.

Amended at the F3 Aerobatics Technical Meeting and unanimously approved by Plenary.
Effective 01/01/10.

What do you think about this?
Isthis an advantage for electrics over glow?
How this will afectt the flight ? Faster flight, smaller manuvers, fly closer ?
Will this allow to use lighter equipment, maybe 8s packsbecause you dont need to much power or less amps.
With lighter equipment, more bipes?

Just a few questionsI have.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
nedim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Modification on flight time

I'm flying electric and my P09 schedule takes 7 minutes from take-off to touch down. I fly approx. at 160 meters and as big as filling the entire box right to the limits. Considering that glow flies a little faster and landing aproach takes at least 30 seconds you have another minute and a half to get your engine started. If you can not start your engine in this time window you must have a serious problem in your engine!

There is nothing new in the rules from previous and everyone flew happily during the last WC, electric or glow.

The 2010 ammendment is to clarify "what happens if you exceed 8 minutes after the last maneuver but before the landing", I suppose.

Nedim
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
nedim

And for the size of the packs:

I use 3500 mah to 4000 in one flight of P09 depending how strong the wind is. Considering you leave 20% reserve capacity for safety you will need 5000 mah batteries. Using lower capacity batteries is to risky at this point. This is why most of the top pilots use 5000's or 5300's.

It is very tough but possible to make the weight with electric bipes. If Seba from Italy did it someone else can do it as well!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you Nedim.

I thought that you have 3 minutes to start your engine, get everything check, sound check, etc. If you do that before that 3 minutes, you have 8 minutes for the flight. If you take more than 3 minutes the time keeps running and you have less than 5 minutes to complete the flight. 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
nedim

Exactly, the time spent for starting eats your flying time and if you can not manage to take off within 3 minutes you are out!

Say, if you struggle 2 minutes in starting your engine and take off, you end up with 6 more minutes to fly which obviously requires to rush in order to get through the schedule.

Going back to your first post, 10 cells (or maximium 42 volts) is the standard and lowering the voltage does not help at all. One can't even find suitable motors for F3A for less cell count.

Nedim
Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, whoever is making these rules for FAI should ease up a bit and remember this is a hobby
to most people, except the few who are paid by the factories, and most do it for enjoyment. It seems
the weight and time limits are put in place for no better reason than that's the way they want it. I
realize there has to be rules but it's not life and death.

tommy s
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
amram

Rules are not matter of life and death otherwise this whole hobby become dangerous and not worth it :-)
Rule has lot of aspects and history mostlyto try and create a fair play environment. no doubt that Electric have
some advantage on this 3 minutes things. But on same time token, Glow should not have a problem either if all is ready and professionally prepared.
You cannot allow on a WC competition to start wait. You have to make a time frame work andthings needs to run when you have a line of more then 100 pilots.

But I have another view on this:
Think about getting to WC will involved 2 years of practicing, buying models, spare parts, batteries, Fuel,all competitionfees, air tickets, Hotel, leave days,etc etc...
If you realisticly calculate overall costs,an ordinary pilot will pay around $10,000 to participatein WC. On preliminaries you get 4 round of 8 minutes were the runway and judge areyours. That will bring you down to about $312.5 per minute during your preliminary rounds.
So my friend: Keep this is mind, make sure your Motor, fuel, batteries - You name it.... will immediately start, get your sound check properly and go fly....

One way to make it cheaper is to start all properly, fly very good and advance to Semi Final. Then you will granted few more rounds and cost per minute
will go down a little. I an not even talking about Final and there any smallfailure will cost allot. See the dead-stick CPLR got in<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Argentina,</st1lace></st1:country-region> which cost him the championship.

Very best regards

Amram
F3A Israel

(Needless to say this is all half Humor)

Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Nickolas

Amram nice writing! Iam really stressed after your quantitative explaination...