Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Ventura- new Quique Somenzini design

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ventura- new Quique Somenzini design

Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Niall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ventura- new Quique Somenzini design

Hi
It's a special scheme as they needed to create new masks etc. but maybe that they have done one like this they can do more easily.

Niall
Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 PM
kochj

4000$ dollar plane and you can't afford a good digital camera???

At least you have your priorities straight!!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

The airplane looks great in those colors, Niall. I put one together for a friend of mine, and hopefully we'll fly it in a week or so. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith

The airplane looks great in those colors, Niall. I put one together for a friend of mine, . . .
I know who that was . . I know who that was ! !

and hopefully we'll fly it in a week or so. I'm looking forward to it!
A WEEK AGO ! ! . . Hmmmmmm . . I DON'T know who that was ! !

Personally, I think the original scheme was just stunning !

JB
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 AM
serious power

Hi,
My Ventura arrived with Niall's, but mine is in the origional colour scheme.
I would like to hear from some people that have been using Oxai bipes for some time.
My reason for seeking advice is with regard to the 5 point pin system for fastening the top wing ??.
How is it holding up.
Any mod's worth considering ??.
Thanks.

Brian
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
bwick

Brian,

I can speak from personal experience here, the pin system is not ideal for glow setups especially. However, with no vibration on the electrics the pin system does just fine. Quique did not do this, but I would highly recommend going to your local hobby shop, picking up some thicker wire, and making your own pins. If your Ventura is like all three Euphorias I've had and like Quique's Venturas then the fit on the pins will be a little loose, especially on the outer 4 cabane pins.

Making your own pins is easy, just cut to proper length (remember to make it a little longer for the L bend) and use whatever you need to make the L bend on one end. Use something to make a point on the other end so the pin can guide its way through the wings and cabanes (the wholes inevitably don't line up perfectly). I used a belt sander but you could use a dremel or something. Also, your going to have to drill out the holes in the center nylon supports. To do this I just used a piece of the thicker wire, sanded it to a point, and threw it in the dremel. I used the dremel and SLOWLY drilled out the nylon with the thicker wire acting as a drill bit. I also took one of the pins and went through the cabanes (by hand) to loosen them up a bit, it's going to be tight the first time through. If everything goes to plan you should end up with a MUCH tighter wing platform that made a noticeable difference for me in flying characteristics. When I finally made the fix the old pins had worn some sizeable holes and I had almost 1/4 degree of incidence wobble on the top wing. Needless to say tightening up the wings made it a whole new airplane.

Also, you're probably going to think it's too tight. It's not. That's a good thing. If you have an impression in your hand from pushing that center pin in you know you did it right

Any more questions just shoot.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
serious power

Hi Brett,
That all makes good sense, resulting in a bigger load bearing surface area. Nice one.
Those fine wires are real 'cheese cutters'.
Any more guys ??.
Thanks.

Brian
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Angus Balfour

Any mod's worth considering ??.
Cover the whole thing in carbon
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Tangy Tom Too

Hi Guys

Good idea with the carbon , would stiffen it right up, wouldnt it add weight??
Lovely colors schemes, I orederred mine in all blue, 200 cheaper , will posts pics, should have it early next week

Rgds

Lok
Old 01-01-2010, 02:18 AM
flyf3a

Hi

I have the Amethyst 2010 version. The wires were tight when I received and after about 60 flight bit loose. It is the foam on the cabanes and wing that compress a little bit. After a days flight of 5 to 6 flights see no movements on the pins.

Be cautious on the weight side if electric. The Oxai listed weight is wrong and further excludes the landing gears and spats and you will have to pull all the stops to get it under 5kg. This includes having to use TP4350 batteries, carbon props and carbon spinner if using Hacker and Jetti Spin set-up.

Regards
Burt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1346204