Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Silver Palm Pattern Contest: Miami, D3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Silver Palm Pattern Contest: Miami, D3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM
jim woodward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver Palm Pattern Contest: Miami, D3

Dear Fellow Pattern Pilots -

The AMPS Club is proud to host its first AMA/F3A pattern contest ever January 15-17, 2010. The Club's website is www.amps-rc.com and the runways are golfcourse quality grass. There is a north/south and east/west facing runways with lots of permanent shade. The Club members are great people that always support the events, and also BBQ very good food!! The AMPs is located on the outskirts of Miami and very accessible by MIA! Thats right, we are hoping that many fliers from around D3, the USA, Canada, South America, the Carribean, or perhaps even Europe, can come for this event. This is perfectly timed to get all the cabin-fevered pattern pilots out of the winter gloom and to Miami with great flying weather! The East/West flight line has two pilot stations nicely separated, with 20' tall poles with colored flags. The field is setup very nice for pattern flying!!

1. Website: www.amps-rc.com
2. Date: January 15-17, 2010 (15th is official practice day, 16 and 17 is for the competition)
3. Friday: Practice (Practice before the 15th is possible, but field time will be shared with the club members)
4. Saturday: All AMA classes, and F3A pilots will fly 4 Rounds of P11
5. Sunday: All AMA classes, and F3A pilots will fly 2 Rounds of F11

It is planned that all AMA classes will get to fly 6 rounds. Given the newness of the P11/F11 schedules, the F3A competitors will be allowed to keep their best 4 rounds of the event, regardless of the mixture of P or F rounds. This will allow everyone the opportunity to fly the F rounds in competition for a new experience, but still allow the pilots to keep their best 4 of 6 rounds. I personally hope to see again many of the pilots we met from the 2008 Bogota South American Championships. There is already some growing interest and invitations sent out, and I hope these pilots and countries can announce their visit when decisions are finalized. We will post more information soon, as we are submitting our AMA sanction this week. We are 4 months from the event and given our hopes for creating an international atmosphere, feel this is the right time to make this announcement.

There will be trophies from 1st through 3rd positions all classes. I also plan to have to have 30% Cool Power Heli fuel available to all pilots flying glow at the event included with the entry fee (entry fee has not been determined yet, but is typically in the $30.00 range).

Thank you everyone for the interest and I look forward to seeing you all in Miami in 2010!!!!

Jim Woodward, Asst CD

Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 AM
FlyingWorks

Default RE: Silver Palm Pattern Contest: Miami, D3

Hi Jim.

The contest sounds great and a good start to get acquainted with the new P11-F11 FAI F3A schedules.

Please keep us informed when decisions are made and send us the official invitation.

Thank you for your interest including all the America pattern community.

Best regards.

Federico Hinestrosa.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM
jim woodward

Thanks Federico,

Hopefully you will and more will be able to come. In the US we have a great opportunity to simply get in the car and drive to contest events and there are many to choose from. What I have learned over the last year is that it is very difficult for F3A pilots from other countries to have this same opportunity, and with the few contests between the many countries, it is also important to plan such that there are no conflicts of dates, or events too clsoe to each other since the pilots must make a great effort to attend events. Miami is a major center of air travel and hopefully airfare will be affordable.

I do believe we will have participation from the Americas - ....... I wonder if we can entice someone to travel from Europe as well????

Thank You,

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Jim,

Chris and I plan on being there. Is it possible to bring a camper to your field for the duration on the contest? If you could Jim let me know.

Larry
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
jim woodward

Larry, Chris,

Thank you for mentioning that you can attend! The AMPS club has hosted IMAC contests before with 45-60 pilots. Camping was always allowed and I belive it will be the same for this event.

You broke the mold last season by adding a new contest to the D3 schedule, we are just following suit! Pattern is on the upswing again. The AMPs club has some members buying new 2M planes now (CA Models new, or buying used planes from pattern guys). With Extreme Flight announcing the Vanquish to be available soon, this will also reinvigorate the community with accessible/affordable ready to fly planes. Things are looking good!!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Jim...
Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Good show Jim. Looks as if a good turn out is in order.
Perhaps I'll get back into Pattern.
Thanks for your work on putting this event on. Florida is sorely lacking contests.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
jim woodward

Hi Orlando - a special thanks should be returned to you for the years you have CD'd events for the benefit of all of us!!

I have other tools at my disposal to encourage participation at this event! There will be a mandatory pilot meeting at "Mangos" in South Beach http://www.mangostropicalcafe.com/ This is one of the most famous clubs in South Beach, on Ocean Drive. The atmosphere is sensational, the professional salsa dancers/bar-tenders are even better. Surprisiginly, you can also order food and its pretty good and the place is not expensive...... more to come later....
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Jim.
That's great, I have been to that place, sensational. mmmmmm..umm
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
flyinghamiltons

Jim, sounds like fun. We look forward to it!
Going to be a busy year between IMAC, and Pattern!
Don
Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Steve Steinbring

I'd like extend a welcome to all those who are planning to attend the contest at AMPS Silver field. The AMPS membership is truly looking forward to hosting a great pattern contest for you at our field. Silver field is in great condition, we are confident you will enjoy a memorable contest experience should you be our guest.

Steve Steinbring
AMPS member
Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Euardo M. Aviles

Hi Every body

Some Ecuatorian pilots are interested in this contest. All depends the air tickets price, January is still high season, and tickets are so expensive.

Thanks a lot for invite us Jim. I hope we can go there to share a nice time. Please keep us informed.

Best regards

Eduardo Aviles
Ecuador F3A TM
Old 09-19-2009, 09:34 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at their field this past weekend and is a wonderful field, very nice and comfortable. We'll try to be there.

Alejandro Pereira
F3A Team Venezuela
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM
flyinghamiltons

Hola alejandro. It was nice meeting you. Hope you can make the contest as well. Thks for the tips. We enjoyed flying this past weekend, and squeaking in some practice in between the rain showers, with Woody. Thks for all of the help Jimbo!
Headed off to Jax, this weekend, and look forward to flying the new genesis, which now has about 9 flights on it.
Looking for some cooler weather!
We'll look forward to more contests next year, as we're just getting into it late this year.
Don
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM
jim woodward

Don,

No problem for the help! It was nice to see you flying the Genesis, and Stephen flying too. I'm looking forward to this weekend, but will have a full car for sure.

Alejandro - great to see you the other weekend! All of us enjoyed the lunch and hearing first-hand stories from the WC!! Thanks again as well for making the effort to come to Miami!!

Eduardo - Thank You for making an effort with your team to come to the Miami contest!

We will have a great event and your investment in coming to this competition is taken very seriously by myself and the club. We will have a first class competition and field setup for all the competitors!!!
Thank You,
Jim
Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 AM
jim woodward

P11 and F11 Aresti's.
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rp44460.pdf (146.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf
Pk30255.pdf (169.1 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
J bainathsah
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Jim,

Isincerely appreciate all the efforts you put into the upcoming contest in Miami.Knowing your drive and dedication for RC aerobatics,

I personally predict a high turnout,especially F3A.Team Suriname will try to be there in full strenght,that is a promise!

having heared many complaints over the past years about the lack of interest in Pattern in Florida,with this contest you prove the opposite.

Miami is ideally located for many South- american countries so I would encourage especially my friends from South - America to join in.

Maybe you can workout a good rate at a hotel/motel closeby the field so we could be together; just like the last competition in Colombia.

Also what would you think of the idea of having each country enter a judge or judges and prior to the competition run a small seminar

so especially the judges will know what to look for.

Keep up the good work Jim; we all appreciate it.

John bainathsah

Team Suriname
Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
jim woodward

John - great to see your post! It will be great to have your Team at this contest.

You raise an interesting question about the judges. First off, I view this as a significant investment in F3A for any country that is going to travel here to compete. I think it would be a fine compliment to extend the invitation to persons who want to gain judging experience as well from these same countries. I think we could use one flight line on Friday before the event to allow for a small seminar on judging F3A and run some flights through this panel with practice score sheets. Given some discussion afterwards and subsequent flights they could particiapte in the F3A judging panel too.

While I'm not an expert in the rules necesary for countries to qualify judges for FAI events, perhaps this expeience can add to the total of those individuals that countries want to put forth one day for judging at international events.

So - I think it is a very good idea that would add to the "investment" in F3A that countries are making for this trip.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
flyinghamiltons

Hi John, it will be great to see you, and my old trusty ship! Hopefully you and the entire team can make it.The AMPSi filed is first class, and a bunch of really nice guys there as well. We'll have an imac contest as well there, so these two events are on my calendar as a must go.....FO SHO!!!!!!!!!!
See ya
Don
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM
J bainathsah
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Don,

Good to hear from you.Yes we will do our best to be a part of this promising pattern contest.I hope that you will also competein pattern.

I am not sure if your ex-Smaragd will be used but I can assure you that it is still alive and kicking!He am I mistaken or are the" Imac boys"

considering joining the pattern world in 2009! Welcome guys!!.Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

John
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 AM
jim woodward

Hi Guys -

I just received my new AMA card that says "Contest Director" on it. Once we have the sanction approved we'll post the flyer. The club is solidly behind this event and we are definately looking forward to everyone coming down!!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Euardo M. Aviles

Hi Jim

If we go to participate, is mandatory de AMA card to everybody?. Please let me know

Best regards

Eduardo
Ecuador F3A Team
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
jim woodward

Hi Eduardo,

It is not necessary.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-27-2009, 08:08 PM
jim woodward

Hi Guys,

I wanted to update the thread. We have the sanction approved and a flyer ready to post that either Bob or I will post over the next day or two. It is time to start looking seriously at airline tickets for the international guys. This will be a rewarding contest for everyone that can make it for sure!
Thank You,
Jim
Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Balsawings

Here is a link to the Silver Palm Flyer.

http://amps-rc.com/EventsCalendar/20...rPalmFlyer.pdf

More information is available at: http://amps-rc.com

The AMPs club is looking forward to having a great contest and I personally look forward to meeting those of you who can make it to the contest.

If you would like to pre-register, give me a call. (305)218-2254 or send me an e-mail at: [email protected]. I need you Name, E-mail address and which class you intend to fly.

For those who would like to practice. The flying field will be open for practice Friday, January 15th. We will also have early registration on Friday.

Bob Cox
President: The Aero Modelers of Perrine (AMPs)
CD: The Silver Palm Pattern Contest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.