Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Airfoil program

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoil program

Hello all,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but since it's pattern related, I figured someone else out there would know.

I'm in the stone age with regard to aircraft design. I'd love to learn SolidWorks, but right now I'm still drawing airplanes out on BIG sheets of paper. I've finally finished revising a design for next year (as well as new wings for my Partners), and I want to start with the engineering and actual construction of the airplane. I've got the airfoil that I want to use drawn out (it was something I literally drew out, not a NACA, Eppler, or anything), and a friend of mine has a CNC foam cutter that he's offered to cut the foam with. He needs coordinates to cut the airfoil, and I need to figure out a way to get that from my drawings. Is there a program out there that you can scan the airfoil in, and be able to get coordinates out? I realize it won't be a scan it in, and spit out numbers, but if there is something out there that can do that, could someone please point me in that direction?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Rendegade

Default RE: Airfoil program

ryan, this might not be much of a help, but you can get co-ordinates for a bunch of wings here [link]http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html[/link]

I don't know of any program that will take an accurate trace of an airfoil. I suppose the most accurate way would be to scan in the airfoil and then trace it manually, i've done this for certain parts into rhino with pretty decent success.

hope that helps.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Profili Pro lets you import a DXF file and can extrapolate a spline into coordinates. Granted the first thing you have to do is scan your airfolil section and then trace over it with a CAD program to get your final result...a .COR or .DAT file that your friend can use. If you can scan the airfoil into a jpg or tif file I can trace it and convert it for you takes 10 minutes.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Ryan, you might want to look into Compufoil.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
iflyrctoo

Ryan, I've just been through the same thing. AutoCad will import a .jpg or .bmp file and let you trace over it with a polyline. (Use "imageattach" command) Save it out as a .dfx file and if the foam cutter is using GMFC Pro he can import the file directly into his cut file.

If you need more info, let me know. If you want me to convert the file for you, I can do that too.

Joe Dunnaway
Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM
guille2006

Absolutly go to Compufoil 3D.
I use it just for getting airfoil points, I do all the rest with CATIA V5: part and assembly design, CNC, mass balances, 2D Draftting; even some FEA...
Regards
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

I have both Compufoil and ProFili. Compufoil is the Cadillac of airfoil/wing programs. It's very functional and also much more expensive than Profili. If you like experimenting with wing sections and virtually building wings, it would be my choice hands down. However, if you are just trying things out, you can't beat Profili.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks for all of the info and offers to help, guys! I'll get in touch with my friend and see exactly what he needs and I'll figure out something from there.