Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Website video idea

Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Website video idea

Hi folks,

I had the idea to put video's of the sequences on the nsrca website (I'm sure I'm not the only one), and it seems as I suckered the board into it. I think it will be something of a positive influence to people that browse our site, but yet don't quite know what we are about.

On to the hard part, I need the video's. I would like them to be obviously of each sequence, and of decent quality. It doesn't have to be implemented now, it can happen during the season. I am willing to lay down a Masters flight for a video, just have to come up with decent weather and a good camera person. Is anyone else willing to help out? Or have a good video already? We don't have to name names for the vid's unless you want. It doesn't have to be all 10's for the flight. Just a basic flight that will give some insight into who we are and what we do. It will be largely appreciated and could be interesting to newbies to the sport. Now we will want to update them as sequences change also. I'll try to keep up on that.

Also, I had the idea that perhaps we could video some of the fun things that happen at a contest, or even the nats, and post that video also. It may help relieve the fear of those that want to attend their first pattern contest, or nats.

If you can help or are interested in helping, please contact me @ [email protected]

Thanks!

Chris

Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
guille2006

Default RE: Website video idea

It's a good idea.

Can we make the same with the FAI F3A sequences too?
May be splitting in only maneuvers so one watches only the maneuver the needs?
May be some pattern pro can add his comments too... could be a nice way we the rookies can learn too and not "let try how to do... m... mmm... Opps!!!... OK...let's try again" every sunday.

Cheers
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a GREAT idea! Particularly the one about a highlight video of the other fun "activities" that take place at a contest. It might be hard to catch the friendship aspect on video but not impossible. Of all the ideas I have heard about growing pattern, effective marketing seems like the one mose likely to work. I don't fly well enough to do a demo but I would be glad to help in another capacity if needed.

Anthony
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Catch the friendship aspect.....hmmm....all they need is a video of you at a meet in your sponge bobs....
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Chris,

I'll be happy to fly any of the sequences for you, including Sporstman - Advanced. Just have to wait for the weather to break around here.

Arch
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
1bwana1

I think it's a great idea. Wayne Geffon has been posting the IMAC Sequences using Real Flight Simulator videos for a couple of years. The simulator videos have their pluses, and minuses.They do a good job of showing the plane up close, yet still in context of the environment. This helps get the fell for positioning. It is also easier to do than organizing a trip to the field with a camera man. They also allow you to fly over, and over until you are satisfied with the results.

Take a look here if you like:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47160

Apparently this site won't link directly to that other RC site. Kind of petty if you ask me. Anyway just replace the******** in the link withF l y i n g G i a n t s (no spaces)and you will get there.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good idea Chris. Once you get these videos together a master compilation might not be a bad idea for trade events etc. I noticed at the AMA convention there was some confusion as to what we did. Answering questions helps, but a video showing some of the sequences, awards ceremonies, BBQs, Saturday night foamy death matches, etc would be a good idea to have playing at these things. Say a seven minute video that you cold play on repeat for next year's AMA show or other events around the country.

Tom M
Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Pete,
I would definitely be willing to smile for the camera and do the poster boy thing! I am in more than one picture either kissing Bob Satalino <sp> or hugging someone else while wearing my Spongies. If I didn't know me better I would be a little concerned

I love my fellow pattern competitors and I don't care who knows. I would much rather be at a contest than hanging out with my own disfunctional family (sad but true). If we can capture the camaraderie in a video we will have to limit the number of entrants at local contests in order to get through 6 rounds.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

...maybe a video of D2's faces after they get their butts handed to them by D1 this summer.

Seriously, (I think) it would be cool to have some of that contest (and the related goings on) on video.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Nathan_L

As a starting pattern flyer I would LOVE to see some videos especially of the lower sequences. I am familar with the sequenes and reading the callout or an aresti diagram...However I have never personally seen someone fly an actual sequence with a pattern plane and I'm guessing there's a lot in presentation/speed/size that you just don't pick up from a callout.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I think the whole thing is a great idea...especially the idea of showing some of the social aspect of contests. The biggest surprise to me in my first three contests has been the brotherhood of it all, the way newcomers are included in everything rather than being left to wander around on their own. The closest thing to it, in my experience, has been running in road races where everyone is doing their best at something very challenging and appreciates everyone's effort. I've never been to another type of contest where large groups of contestants get together for dinner after practice or on Saturday night, and never eaten such great field food, either!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Jetdesign

Here are my final 3 flights in a meet this past summer in Goshen, NY, for anyone that wants to see. The flying is not the best but may give you an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAY1zaAQek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSmhqarEgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIDupIvy2o0

Here is one of Dave Lockhart flying the FAI sequence from the same contest (the plane that takes off is not his, his is the amazing electric flight that follows shortly thereafter):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pREmry-SE
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Jetdesign

One thing I've noticed is that pattern videos seem to be better shot from a distance, meaning not totally zoomed in on the airplane. I think when the camera man zooms in on the plane, you loose sight of the loop radii, lines, and constant speed that we are all striving for.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
cappaj1

I'd be happy to help out any way I can. I shot some video in hi def of gaRCfield flying sportsman last season, even put one of his [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0YpCioUWsg]routines to titles[/link] for the sportsman's class to help anyone, including myself, who is interested in getting into pattern and needs to see an example. I'd be willing to put others together for you guys and plan on attending events in the east district this coming season to both videotape and compete. The links Joe posted above are some of my videos. Here is a video I did in real flight of myself trying the sportsman's class http://www.youtube.com/user/cappaj1#p/u/1/W6Ff2Hb2hjg
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Balsawings

I've got five new pattern flyers in the club who would have liked to seen the sequences on video before the contest. I've been asked multiple times if there were videos.

During and after our contest this last weekend, many club members were commenting on the comradry between the competitors, so I think videos showing this is a very good idea. What surprise many was the sharing of airplanes after a couple were lost/crashed. I was sharing my plane with two other pilots.

As an aside, can anyone tell me how to fix my browser so that I can watch youtube videos. I get a message saying that I must have java turned off, but when I check my browser settings, it shows java turned on. Help. I would like to watch the above videos.

Bob Cox
President: The Aero Modelers of Perrine
CD: The Silver Palm Pattern Contest
Miami, FL
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Nathan_L

What would be really slick especially for the sportsman sequence is to subtitle the video with the particular move in the sequence that was being performed at the time.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I appreciate all of the responses, and also the help to do the video's and flights and if you are really willing, let's make it happen.. Either way, I will make it happen, I was just hoping it wasn't going to be me in all the video's. It's going to be my new goal for this season. Well, that and beating Frak! lol

I agree, the video's are best from a distance. You lose too much by being to close. Hopefully we can get them done from a tripod also. Less shaky is really good for those watching obviously. And I agree subtitles to the maneuvers would be awesome.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

What would be really slick especially for the sportsman sequence is to subtitle the video with the particular move in the sequence that was being performed at the time.
I think cappaj1 linked a video with subtitles above.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Nathan_L

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

I think cappaj1 linked a video with subtitles above.
Thanks I missed thel link at the end of his post.

I went to an IMAC contest once and a guy had a computer program running on his laptop and you would enter in the sequence/aresti diagrams and then a computer generated plane would fly the sequence - kinda like a flight sim video. I thought it was a pretty cool tool. Not sure how useful it was but the cool factor was high.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

...maybe a video of D2's faces after they get their butts handed to them by D1 this summer.

Seriously, (I think) it would be cool to have some of that contest (and the related goings on) on video.
Will there be a grill at the field so you don't consume any undercooked crow?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way to shoot this is 2 cameras, both on tripods (no hand-held shaky cam).. one is zoomed out to see the flight in context. The other is zoomed fairly tight on the airplane. Then you composite the two together so people can see the maneuver in context, as well as the tight shot showing things in more detail.

I also like the idea of breaking things down into individual maneuvers.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
4ptrol

Ryan,
I agree. D2 has several good fliers. I think a video will be a great idea of the contest. I'm hoping for a good turn out.

Larry
Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

might be easier to do if its done on a sim
Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Strat2003

There's no way Anthony's Sponge Bob scrubs can be done on a sim.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Stuart Chale

Nice video work cappaj1
Better than most and stayed in focus most of the time. Of course the one video looks like Dave L defected and was flying the astral
Any reccomendations on camera settings, methods etc?
Stuart C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.