RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   futaba programmable servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/10409821-futaba-programmable-servos.html)

OhD 03-19-2011 09:56 AM

futaba programmable servos

Has anyone tried any Futaba programmable servos?

Jim

OhD 03-20-2011 01:33 PM

RE: futaba programmable servos

They must be a big seller in the Pattern world.

Jim

Gulliver 03-20-2011 01:47 PM

I'm probably naive, but why would anyone program a servo when it can be done so easily from almost all transmitters ?

Enrique-F3A 03-20-2011 02:13 PM

I am wondering the same thing !!

vbortone 03-20-2011 03:27 PM

So am I. Probably useful if radio has limited programability. However, I don't see that is the case for most radios nowdays.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

Jetdesign 03-20-2011 03:48 PM

I have a set of Hitec servos in my Yak. Never really got to like them. Anyway they are programmable. I could not, for the life of me, get equal servo travel or speed (one or other, not both) out of my aileron servos, no matter what I did mechanically or with my radio. Ended up getting the Hitec programmer and found one servo had quite a bit more travel than the other. Was able to reduce with the programmer, now aileron travel is good, and cork-screwing rolls are gone. But maybe there's more to it? I'm definitely on the bottom end of the experience poll here.

vbortone 03-20-2011 04:15 PM

I have been doing all programing using the radio travel adjustment (balance in the new radios make it easier). The only way to program from radio is having a separate channel for each servo (no Y system). A separate servo or servos are required for each surface if any of the options. Probably this is the main advantage of been able to program each servo as a separate unit. I don't think is an issue for pattern planes. Also, I know that I can program servo speed from TX. I never got the chance to notice problems due to servo speed so never tried this one.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

OhD 03-20-2011 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Gulliver

I'm probably naive, but why would anyone program a servo when it can be done so easily from almost all transmitters ?
1) Wouldn't it be nice to have backup elevator servos that you could drop in and go fly? Matching them up with the transmitter in the field is nearly impossible in my estimation.
2) Wouldn't if be nice to use the full resolution of the transmitter?
3) Wouldn't it be nice to be able to trade off torque for travel time stop to stop?

On top of that you could adjust speed to match, adjust damping to match, reduce latency (get rid of PWM to digital and back to PWM) with the s.bus system and probably some more stuff I haven't thought of.

Jim O

vbortone 03-21-2011 03:30 AM

Jim.
you always ahead of everybody. I guees that we need to check if the programable servos are equal when end points, speed and other inputs are equivalent.

Thanks,

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

apereira 03-21-2011 06:10 AM

The only advantage I see on those (unless someone is using and old radio system, but if you can afford a programable rudder you should also afford a good radio) servos is the fact you can adjust the sub trim so the radio's is at 0% on the sub trim, so there will be less chances of differential, and the other thing will be to be able to adjust the mechanical stops in a particular set up, so no matter how much travel is adjusted on the radio a servo will not bind\stall.

Regards

Alejandro P.

NJRCFLYER2 03-21-2011 04:10 PM

All excellent points Jim. Ithink that the programmability of servos makes a lot of sense. Ilike the S.Bus concept as well, and I'm a JR driver. I'm not switching brands, but Ilike the step forward that this represents.