RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Power Box Core RC system (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/11663049-power-box-core-rc-system.html)

OhD 04-05-2019 03:21 PM

Power Box Core RC system

Anyone flying one of these in the US?

Jim

BarracudaHockey 04-06-2019 04:28 AM

I've flown the factory prototype.

What do you want to know? There's a very lengthy thread in the jets forum with screen shots and stuff.

OhD 04-06-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12516217)
I've flown the factory prototype.

What do you want to know? There's a very lengthy thread in the jets forum with screen shots and stuff.

I've always been impressed by PowerBox products and am wondering how their RC system compares to Jeti. Thanks for the reference to the jets forum, I'll take a look.

Jim O

BarracudaHockey 04-06-2019 09:35 AM

Jim, the gimbals are smooth as butter. The programming is evolving as they do updates. The telemetry is outstanding. The feel is excellent over all and the switch positions are comfortable.

I've flown in on foamies and giant scale gas and it does everything I want a radio to do.

OhD 04-09-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12516278)
Jim, the gimbals are smooth as butter. The programming is evolving as they do updates. The telemetry is outstanding. The feel is excellent over all and the switch positions are comfortable.

I've flown in on foamies and giant scale gas and it does everything I want a radio to do.

I went through Dave Wilshere's post and it looks promising. The fact that they are the latest should mean they will have all of the good features everyone else has. A list of the features, like the number of flight modes, mixers, logic switches, etc., along with integration of accessories like TM sensors and gyros, etc., will be what sells it.

I was most interested in the patch antennas. In Los Angeles we have a very bad 2.4Ghz RF environment and any improvement in the RF link would be welcome. Patch antennas typically provide higher gain but not in all directions. It looks like the receivers each have two antennas and I was wondering if the have specific instructions for how to mount them in an airplane.

Regards, Jim

frankyy54 04-16-2019 11:58 PM

In the RX (PBR9D) are not only two antennas, there are two complete RX in a box... each of the antennas is to mount 90 degreed angled..

frankyy54 04-16-2019 11:59 PM

Flying Core since 3 weeks. works very well but not all functions are available. need 1-2 updates.

kenh3497 04-18-2019 06:29 AM

For the price it should wipe your nose and your butt. I guess I just don't see what these multi thousand dollar TX's do that a $500 or less TX won't do.

I guess I'm just a cheap bastage.....

Ken

Jeff Worsham 04-25-2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by kenh3497 (Post 12518982)
For the price it should wipe your nose and your butt. I guess I just don't see what these multi thousand dollar TX's do that a $500 or less TX won't do.

I guess I'm just a cheap bastage.....

Ken

I think it depends on the rf environment you are flying in and how much you are willing to risk. I was a skeptical late adopter to 2.4 spread spectrum, didn't switch from 72 MHz until 2012. Back then and for years I would have never believed we'd experience rf link issues on 2.4. Now I know that I and others have seen issues in recent years, depending on field location. Don't know what a PB Core radio costs, but if a $2k radio prevents loosing a $3-5k pattern plane, I think that's a win. And as electronics go, prices usually drop over time. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if a $500 radio would do everything I want a Tx to do. But I haven't found that, primarily in regards to programming, gimbals, and resolution.

apereira 04-30-2019 11:21 AM

One thing to note is that $500 radios feel like that, and the software is limited for certain things, while the common ATV,EXP, etc is probably what 70% of the users are interested in, there is a point in life when we need radios which can perform better, feel better and do more, they also open new programing posibilities simply imposible with cheaper radios, but that is also the reason why there's a radio for everyone, to me the radio is also part the hobby, I like and enjoy using a high end radio as it feels and performs way better, I sold my Futaba T14SG because the sticks felt horrible(it was a second radio).

I was looking into the CORE, but the software is still in the early stages, for example, I wonder if the CORE will be able to change a condition using a stick but hold that condition until a specific position on the stick is reached and return to the previous condition(hope I explained myself) like I do on my F18MZ.... any info will be appreciated.