RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Temptation Wings (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/2453806-temptation-wings.html)

Jeff-RCU 12-21-2004 06:30 AM

Temptation Wings

I bought a set of presheeted Focus I wings and decided to use them on a Temptation kit. The only trouble is the wing tube from the temptation, and others I have laying around are an extrememly tight fit. I tried sanding the socket ID with limited success. Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'll get it assembled and break the fuse trying to get it back apart.

byoung466 12-21-2004 07:16 AM

RE: Temptation Wings

You could buy a carbon tube and sand it, or maybe it would fit to start.

If you know a friendly machinist...he wight be able to take a light lathe cut on the tube removing a couple thousandts maybe... outside chance of this I know...

...you could take a dowel close to the socket id and chuck it in your drill and wrap some sand paper around the end to work on the socket id some more.

Eric.Henderson 12-21-2004 08:41 AM

All the carbon tubes that I have used tended to be a loose fit in the phenolic tubes that go with alli tubes, so a carbon tube may just be what you need.

Jeff-RCU 12-21-2004 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I must have the only full size carbon tube on the market, cause it's too tight also. I'll take the aluminum tube into work and chuck it up in a lathe and use some 600 grit paper on it till it fits. I tried sanding the ID of the tube, but whatever it is, doesn't sand too well.

getterflash 12-21-2004 09:35 PM

I am now to the point on my Temptation where I need to fit the wings to the plane, and just discovered the same problem. My kit is the deluxe version with pre-sheeted wings. The tube that came with the kit is a good fit in the center section of phenolic tube that is mounted in the fuselage, but a very, very tight fit in the wing sockets. I have two short pieces of Gator anodozed tube that were cut to fit some previous planes, one fits easily, the other does not. I tried scribing some lines on the tube to raise some crude cutting ridges, but they do little, if anything to the inside of the tube. Someone must have seen this before, I can't believe these are the only two examples ot tight tube sockets.

getterflash 12-21-2004 11:17 PM

After my previous post, I made a tool to sand the inside of the wing tube. It is a 1/4 ply disk sized (more on this later) so when some 220 grit sandpaper is glued to it it is a slight snug fit in the tube. I glued the disk to a carbon arrow shaft and chucked it in a handrill. After about 30 minutes of careful sanding, the supplied tube now fits into the tube. Snugly, but it fits. The plywood disk is the inside of the cut made by a 1" hole saw, cleaned up a bit.

Jeff-RCU 12-22-2004 06:39 AM

I like that better than me turning down the wing tube. I hate to have a wing tube fold inflight!

byoung466 12-22-2004 09:05 AM

The carbon tube will sand, seems normal for the Composite Arf planes to require sanding the tube to fit, although my recent one didnt need any.

Something to think about, Ive seen planes with a snug tube socket fit that wouldnt come loose after a moist/rainy day at the field and you are building at the dry time of year.

Rune 12-22-2004 11:35 AM

hi !
i used a carbone tube from pgb composite (i think) in my Temptation...standar version...i think that tube is a bit smaler than the original that was delivred with the kit....dont think i would sanded down the alu.tube..

tggilkey 12-22-2004 01:25 PM

Hi Guys!

I spent many hours cleaning out the inside of Temptation pre-sheeted-wing tubes -- one side especially. At first I was worried about the strength of the tube socket that would be left behind when the fit was achieved. Then it occurred to me that except for the root and outboard support ends the rest of the socket is along for the ride and only serves to guide the alum. tube to its final resting place. The hard points pickup the load... I used a fat dowel with sticky back paper wrapped around in ever increasing thickness as the ID got bigger. What a pain! The wing that was the worst of the two I took down to the point where I could get the tube in full depth without risk of damage to wing while trying to stuff it in -- that one stayed in all the time. Here's why: I use hooks screwed into hard points in the root ribs to hold the wing snugly against the fuselage (using O-rings where some might use springs or rubber bands). I also use the "bolt through a hard point into the outboard end of the tube/socket" in each wing panel. To avoid having to fish for the holes each time the ship is assembled, I leave the tube with its associated bolt in one wing panel all the time. Guess which one it is....The other wing didn't take nearly as much sanding inside to get a normal slip fit so it comes off and on easily (and because the tube can't rotate the hole is right where you left it the last time).

I have an Impact which I have not started yet (other than to look at issues discussed in the Impact thread. My tubes seem to be a pretty good fit except at the ends -- one of those will get less work than the others and live with the tube in it also. Even when I built my own wings from scratch: USA Star, Prophecies, etc. and the tube was a good fit, I kept the tube captive in one panel for easier assembly at the field.

I have noticed with some planes that higher humidity can make the tube a tight fit -- I want to say it was fuselage socket(s) and may have been just on the Star (built up fuselage).

Grind away!
Tom

checksix 12-22-2004 06:21 PM

I had similar experience and used a PBG carbon tube instead of the stock aluminum tube. The PBG tubes appear to be precision ground to size, whereas the anodized aluminum tubes seem to vary in OD. Maybe the anodize is the culprit? --Derek

Jeff-RCU 12-22-2004 06:36 PM

Derek,
I've got the original anodized temptation tube, a bare aluminum tube from my Zafiro and a carbon fiber tube (I don't know where it came from) and none of them slide in. THey'll all go in if forced.

lems 12-23-2004 08:52 AM

I've got a two Temptation wing sets, one pre-sheeted and one is just the cores. The pre-sheeted set fits a PBG carbon tube perfectly, but is very tight with the supplied aluminum tube. I am building the plane with the carbon tube. For some reason, the center section is a great fit on the aluminum tube, but loose on the carbon tube. I fixed this by wrapping the center section of the carbon tube in one layer of packing tape.

Here is my theory. When the wings are built, the pressure exerted on the cores during sheeting may SLIGHTLY deform the phenolic socket, making the aluminum tube difficult to fit. Or, maybe some of the glue used for the socket permeates the socket and swells it just a bit.

However, I have another situation that doesn't fit those theories. I have a 2M NOVA built with an aluminum tube. I flew it with this tube and it worked fine. To save weight, I began using a carbon tube, and have for about two years. Now the aluminum tube will not go into the wings. I haven't come up with an explanation for that one yet.

Jeff-RCU 12-24-2004 10:19 AM

Gremlins!