RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Topstar 2 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/3700978-topstar-2-a.html)

snap_roll 12-28-2005 02:27 PM

Topstar 2

hi, what do u guys think of this plane? hard to build? good to fly?

flyintexan 12-28-2005 11:07 PM

RE: Topstar 2

1 Attachment(s)
Would love to see a build thread on it.......I built an MK Blue Angel many years ago and the although the kit was ancient, I enjoyed the build......flew great too. The only topstar I've ever seen in person was built and flown (briefly) by Mr. Nat Penton......Obviously he modified it to fit his liking. He flew it a few times on the OS91 with pipe but did not care much for it compared to his own Express. In the end, he used it as a test bed for his electric setup (outrunner and lipos) that he now has in his Express.

pmr 12-29-2005 12:14 AM

A flying buddy of mine has the Topstar 2. If you have the basic knowledge or experience you could easily build the Topstar 2 with ease. He powered it with a ys110 and its has more than enough power. It tracks pretty straight and these planes are built pretty solid compared to the Infinity which are constructed very light at the expense of durablity.

The only minor negative flight charateristic I see is that it's downlines are a bit fast compared to the wide body pattern planes that we today, which is pretty normal for narrow bodied plane. That being said, I still believe the positive attributes of these plane will easily outweigh the only minor negative of these plane.

I say, go for it! Just go to Chinatown and grab yourself a Topstar 2 from Frederick of Singahobby. You won't regret it.

pmr 12-29-2005 12:16 AM

OOOOPS sorry this is a Topstar 2 question not the Topstar 110 that I was referring. My apologies.

snap_roll 12-29-2005 02:32 AM

oh hahaha... thanks for the replies anyway

eoinjoc 12-29-2005 03:06 PM

I'm building a Topstar 2 at the moment....goes together well, and I wouldn't be the best builder in the world!! I'll probably take the next six months to finish as I do a little building and not very often. Engine will be an OS 140 on the MK beam mount.

The one downside is that the plan is not full size. It is clear enough (although all the instructions are in Japanese.)

It retailed here in Ireland at less than €450...which must be the bargain of the year.

I do not know how it will fly, but the (late lamented) Alliance 50 by Mk was the best small pattern model I ever flew.

Eoin

Henning 12-30-2005 08:42 AM

Hi Snap roll!

Take a look at this link. Lots of pictures of the Top Star II. I’m building the Sky Star 90 by MK. It’s my 2nd Mk kit. I built the Synergy 50 three years ago. The quality of those kits is great and they are a real joy to build. A flying buddy of mine is building the Top Star 110 and it’s his first kit. He has no problems putting it together.

http://kobago05.hp.infoseek.co.jp/my...ps2.htm#latest

Regards,
Henning Jorkjend

s. wallace 12-30-2005 12:58 PM

The MK beam mounts are terrible! The have been several threads outlining folks problems with them, one
may be a few years old but was a UK flier that built a Topstar & he outlined the mounts problems.

I love MK kits and have built many, many of them but haven't had any luck with their mounts
since the days when the OS Hanno was the king of pattern engines.

Henning 12-30-2005 03:03 PM

I will not go that far calling the MK beam mounts terrible. For 2-strock engines I think they are OK. 4-strockers are another story. They last about 100 flights on a YS 63 before they get to soft. I’m going for a home made Hyde mount and nose ring on the Sky Star 90. It’s a bit more work to carve out the nose block to make room for the Hyde mount but it’s worth it.

pmr 12-30-2005 09:27 PM

Built myself an MK Alliance, the mount seems to be okay with a YS 63, but for the Sky star built using the MK beam type mount, it was the worst.
Just after the break in the rubber grommets just split in two. If your really want an MK beam mount just be sure to get the hard rubber grommets/mount for the beams cuz from what I understand the rubber that comes with an MK beam mount for my YS110 were pretty soft but after changing it to MK hard rubber, it held just fine.