RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Pattern and IMAC differences? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/4723380-pattern-imac-differences.html)

Yoder808 09-07-2006 10:28 PM

Pattern and IMAC differences?

What are the differences between "pattern"(is it called F3A?) and IMAC? Also, how do I get started in pattern. I downloaded the schedule, and the 2-D ribbon diagram, but some of it is confusing to me. Is there a good place for newbies to learn. As far as I know, no one at my club flies pattern OR IMAC, so no luck there.

Thanks,
Yoder

Super D 09-07-2006 10:50 PM

RE: Pattern and IMAC differences?

Hey YODER,
I've done both Both are similar. Pattern is not as extreme as IMAC but I'd rather watch Chip Hyde or CPLR fly a pattern plane than a 40 % scale plane. To me Pattern planes just fly better than a scale plane, hence I enjoy Pattern more. Pattern is a little cheaper, dont need a trailer. The pattern community is very outgoing and helpful.

Not sure where Collinsville is but there is a good Pattern contest Sept 23-24 in Dallas. Make a pattern contest and an IMAC and see which one you perfer.

Maybe ED D. (A.K.A.) divesplat will give some insight as well he has done both for 10+ years.

Divesplat 09-08-2006 04:40 AM

First, both are fun and a blast to practice for.

Pattern has non-scale planes designed to fly very well, without any bad habits, are limited to a specific size and weight. and flown in a specific area. Most fit comfortably into many different vehicles, however kit/ARF selection at this time is a little slim. The sequences are changed at random and may stay the same for a number of years. Landings and takeoffs are a part of the judged criteria. 6 seperate flights make up a contest. You can compete with any plane in Sportsman, within the size limitations. Most pattern designs are set up to fly very quietly and at the Nats sound requirements are inforced. Everything is judged on centering and in the box.

IMAC has scale planes, that often times have the inherited bad habits of the full scale counterparts. Although they fly well, they are not form specific. Many IMAC competitors move up in size to compete (bigger does fly better) and hence end up spending $$ on a trailer as well, plus the cost of the planes moves up. The sequences are changed every year, and try to mimic closely the IAC (full scale aerobatics community) sequences. In IMAC one flight of Unknowns are flown which are a blast and a real challenge. A contest for IMAC consists of 3 flights, each with 2 seperate sequences of Knowns for 6 seperate scores, then the Unknown is added on top regardless of how good or poor the Unknown was. In IMAC, Landing and Take offs are not scores, and actually can have someone else land your plane w/o penalty if needed. The box in IMAC is almost non-existant and there is not a center pole which gives the pilot some options as to where they place their manuevers.

The similarities include having judges behind you grading your performance and competing again other pilots. Both are 2 day events typically. Both have a seperate rule book that outlines the good and bad, when in truth both rule books are worded very closely on most things (IMAC is 1 pt deduction for a 10degree goof, Pattern is 1 pt for a 15 degree goof) Both allow almost any plane in the entry-level class. Yes that small gas extra can be flown in Pattern long as the wing span isn't over 78". Almost all CD's at a local contest won't be too concerned about the noise.

As Super D said, go to both types of contests and see which you prefer. N Dallas is hosting a Pattern contest in 2 weeks, near Denton Tx, and the next close IMAC contest is in Waco, Oct 7/8. There are some guys in Tulsa that fly both also. Depending on where you are in OK, might think of going up there for a day also.

Give em a try and see if you enjoy it. It is exhilarating to fly in front of someone else trying to make the "perfect" flight which is by the way almost impossible. But we still try. Very quickly, in either discipline, you will see what you haven't learned yet, and yearn to learn some more. Just making 2 loops the same size, on the same heading, with wings level t/o, and keeping them round (not egg shaped) regardless of the wind is very difficult in itself.

Ed

davis2a 09-08-2006 06:45 AM

Yoder
Do You belong to Shyblazers?? The field is just north of Collinsville.. If so, You have a very good Pattern pilot in the club. I have been playing around with Pattern and found it a lot of fun even if I'm not very good yet. Contact me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to discuss this with You. JIM

Yoder808 09-08-2006 07:51 AM

Yeah I fly at SkyBlazers. I might know you, I am Brandon, with the Avistar. I sent you an e-mail btw.

Thanks guys,
Yoder

bla bla 09-08-2006 11:31 AM

Imac?
Isn't that a competition to see who has the most servos connected to each control surface?

patrnflyr 09-08-2006 11:54 AM

I always like to jokingly refer to IMAC as NASCAR and pattern as Formula One or IMAC as WWE and pattern as gymnastics. :D Each has their own hugely devout following and both going about similar things with a different approach. I liked to fly them both myself, but the IMAC planes just got too huge for me to continue to compete. It was purely a "size" thing and yes, size does matter to a judge. It got to a point when I was seeing BASIC pilots showing up at tournaments with Suburbans/trailers and 2 x 40-42% Extras!!! With all the ARF's out there for ridiculously low prices in IMAC planes, the price difference between them is negligible, especially when you take into account glow vs gas... The radios are a different story altogether, but if you already have a good radio, that is evened out. Ed was telling me the other day about some of the prices in the new IMAC ARF airframes that were half of a good pattern plane airframe. It's amazing what they can build now in the SE Asia countries... (I wish that $$ savings would trickle over to the pattern planes!)
John

PS We missed the Tulsa guys at our pattern meet a couple of weeks ago. Please consider coming next year. You won't regret it!

bla bla 09-08-2006 12:11 PM

Ha... what really differentiates the two is IMAC's popular "Free Style" event... "I fly Free Style Dude."
Free Style...now surly thats a contradiction in terms as they all seem to fly the same maneuvers mostly invented by one person then named by the Dude character mentioned earlier... The wall... a Bender... a torque roll and (fan-fair of trumpets)... a Hover.

Why don't they just call it the QQ event?
Or just drop it completely?
Or maybe just include it in the Sportmans class?
Or may be Free Style to The Death... two 40%ers freestyling until destruction... maybe shooting fire at each other.

Least then we'd stay awake.