RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Post all your "crappola" here (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/7834321-post-all-your-%22crappola%22-here.html)

Jetdesign 05-26-2009 10:12 PM

RE: Post all your

I have a couple YS questions (110s):

It's time for me to check my valve clearance - just over 2 gallons. Do I have to change out that gasket?

What do you do for a prop change - adjust everything or just the high speed needle?

rcpattern 05-26-2009 10:17 PM

Joe,</p>

</p>

You shouldnt need to change the gaskets if you are careful removing the head.  On the needles, it depends on how drastic the prop change is.  You might not have to change any of the needles...</p>

</p>

Arch</p>

Jetdesign 05-28-2009 05:36 PM

Thanks Arch.

So when adjusting the tappets, anything within the specified range is OK, and I assume both tappets should have the same clearance? The range is .04 to .1 mm so I figured I'd set them both for .07 mm which is right in the middle.

This is my first 4-stroke so I'm new to this.

rcpattern 05-28-2009 05:58 PM

That's a good place to start I would guess.  I don't have much time on the 1.10, but that seems reasonable,</p>

</p>

Arch</p>

4u2nv-RCU 05-29-2009 10:44 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_197/tt.htm

Is a link to an RCU munfacurer's forum for YS engines. It has been very helful to me in the past and I am sure they can give you all the answers you'll need.

Good luck,

4u2nv

mjfrederick 05-29-2009 10:48 AM

The YSmanufacturer's forum is no longer monitored by a specific representative of YS anymore. It's now just a place where we try and help each other out. The YS repair guy from Australia still frequents the board though.

4u2nv-RCU 05-29-2009 11:34 AM

Back when i tried to learnabout them it was Dave Shadell monitoring the forum and he gave a lot of good info. I recognized my limitations and have stuck to 2 strokes for about 3 years now.

Oh well,

Jetdesign 05-29-2009 11:38 AM

I use that forum, too. I know lots of guys here fly YS engines and I like the idea of getting advice from other pattern pilots, hopefully people I will meet at one point or another or ones that Ihave already flown with.

Jetdesign 06-04-2009 03:14 PM

Is it OK to hear valves tapping when turning the engine by hand? The clearances are easily within spec, probably on the tight side.

Ryan Smith 06-04-2009 05:03 PM

As long as they are not so tight that they get stuck, you'll be fine.

I use a dollar bill as a gauge, when it grabs the dollar just a little is when it's good. Do you like the 1.10 so far?

Jetdesign 06-04-2009 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith
Do you like the 1.10 so far?
Let's just say I'm having a really hard time not using profanities to explain my enjoyment of flying the Venus with the 1.10. Totally different experience - it actually looked like a pattern plane today. Itook over 2oz of lead off the tail meaning this engine must be about 6oz lighter than the 120AX for a net shavings of a half pound. The plane feels lighter carrying it around in the pits and floats and floats and can fly incredibly slow. Sound is amazing, nice slow passes with PUH-LENTY of vertical and wonderful even speed.

So far Iam considering myself a convert.

As far as the valve clearances, it makes a slight tapping but it runs like a freaking clock. Incredibly smooth idle with very little vibration and none of the 'bang-bang' and idles at 2100rpm. Ran a 15x10 APC with 9000peak 'RPM tuned down to about 8700. Flew the entire day under half throttle, maybe 3/4 throttle on the verticals.

Very, very nice, AND Iget to keep my tank at the CG!! =)

jrpav1 06-05-2009 11:21 AM

Excellent. i'm glad you're finally happy with an engine. who would have figured it be a YS? Now keep up with the maintenance and you should be OK for a while. If the engine is hard mounted you'll want to keep an eye on your servos. The first sign of servos that need to be rebuilt is usually the rudder buzzing when you turn things on. Normally you'll want to rebuild servos about every 2 years if you fly a lot.
Bring that OS 120 to the next contest so we can work out a deal. :)

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs

Jetdesign 06-07-2009 02:37 PM

I have a trimming question:

My plane has been needing down elevator for power-off downlines, vertical uplines, and for knife edge flight. I noticed today that I originally had entered some up elevator trim for level flight. If I put the elevator back to neutral, verticals and knife edge are better to perfect, but the plane wants to dive in level, powered flight.

I'm guessing this is a thrust issue and that the plane needs more up thrust? It could also be incidence, but I'm not sure how to tell what is what. Obviously engine thrust is easier to change.

rwlewis 06-07-2009 06:04 PM

If you not a member, you should join the nsrca. (www.nsrca.us).

Then look for the back issues of the NSRCA monthly publication called the K-Factor online. There was an article called "Triangulation Trimming" by Bryan Hebert that is an extremely good, easy to use trimming method that can really help explain alot of your questions......

It is never as simple as just a thrust or incidencechange. On an ARFlike the Venus II, some of the requirements to really trim it out may seem like alot of work (incidence change for example). Agood example, my Dad had am Excelleron 50 (the little one). It was just OKout of the box. With the assistance of an experiences pattern flier, he lowered the TE of the wing almost 1/2" unitl it trimmed out nice. He had to heavily modify the wing saddle to accomplish this, but it turned out to be the best flying tiny airplane that Icould ever imagine flying. Icould easily fly it through the prior advanced sequence with all the inverted exits comfortably. It turned out to be a solid performer...

Alternately, the article text, or at least the gist of it can be found online, but supporting the NSRCA is the right thing to do.....:)

Richard

Jetdesign 06-14-2009 11:24 AM

I just read something by Troy Newman about YS engines and RPM - it said I should be shooting for max RPM in the 9500 range.

I had my YS 1.10 on my Yak with a 16x6 and was getting close to 10,000 RPM and it seemed great. Now the engine is on my Venus with a 15x10 and getting about 8800. Performance is good but it seems like it's running out of steam a bit more than it should at the top of a big loop or after longer verticals.

Should I try a 15x8, 14x10, or just leave what I have?

EDIT: For some reason today it seemed to be making a lot more power and Ihave no interest in changing props. Could it have been the weather? Engine is absolutely amazing and flies the Venus IIvery, very well http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Jetdesign 06-22-2009 01:03 AM

Where is the best place to look for used pattern planes? I used to get an email but not anymore and forget what site it was from. Don't think my login info for the site ever really worked?

jetmech43 06-22-2009 05:33 AM

right here is a good place, and NSRCA web site too

rcpattern 06-22-2009 07:57 AM

The ads here are a good source.  Are you a member of the NSRCA pattern list?  That is a great resource also.  Go to the NSRCA website and you can join the discussion list.  Just post what you are looking for and you will probably find someone who has something for you...

Arch</p>

Jetdesign 06-24-2009 05:32 PM

I've been flying RC planes for 13mos and I'm about to outgrow my second radio!?

I started with the Futaba 6EX and replaced that after 4mos when I got my Venus as I wanted better control of the dual elevator servos and also the ability to mix out pulls to canopy, etc.

I got the Airtronics RDS8000 which doesn't have dual rates (or expo) on the rudder. I slaved the rudder to itself for dual rates, but all the mixes are activated by the same switch, so I can't have a throttle to rudder mix on 100% of the time or independent of other mixes.

I'm thankful to be flying planes like the Venus and my Yak (and ready for an upgraded pattern ship?) after only one season of RC flying, but boy this learning curve is expensive!! Hopefully it will get better when I'm out of school and actually have a legitimate job to pay for all this stuff[&:]

rcpattern 06-24-2009 06:20 PM

Keep an eye on the new 10 channel from Airtronics. Since you already have ATX..it is a great little radio for the price. Futaba's 10C is also really nice, but you already are setup for ATX.

Arch

Jetdesign 06-24-2009 06:27 PM

Thanks Arch, I've got my eye on it.

The good thing is that now I know what to look for in a radio, at least some stuff...

I would love to find out who's using one for pattern flying and see what they think.

Ryan Smith 06-24-2009 08:03 PM

I would highly reccomend the JR 9303. It's got anything that anyone would conceivably need, at a good price. However, I would listen to Arch about the SD-10 from Airtronics since you've already invested in their equipment, as that would be the most practical thing now, and you don't have to worry about switching receivers out and you have more money to put towards an upgraded airplane.

mjfrederick 06-24-2009 11:30 PM

I gotta second the recommendation of the 10C. Only drawback for you would be switching from Airtronics to Futaba, but it's a great radio for the price. If you keep an eye on Tower's coupons and sales you can get one for a great deal. I bought mine at Christmas time for 600... this included the 2.4 transmitter w/ a 14-channel receiver, and a synthesized 72MHz module. Yeah, it was an excellent deal.

rcpattern 06-25-2009 09:49 AM

Joe,

The 10 channel airtronics will be hitting the market any day. Mark Atwood, who you have talked to before on the pattern stuff has been doing most of their testing. I saw the radio at Toledo and will be honest. There is nothing for pattern that plane wont do. They really did their homework on it.

The 9303 is also a great radio in that price range, and I definitely like the 10C. I know ATX came out after the other two and have expanded on some features while keeping the price in the same range. You really can't go wrong with any of those 3, but since you are already ATX, sometimes switching manufacturers doesnt make a lot of sense,

Arch

Jetdesign 06-25-2009 11:21 AM

Thanks guys. I think the most important thing to do is not rush into another radio. I'll try not to get too excited about this one (yeah, right!) and rush into another bad decision, though it doesn't sound like anything at this level will be 'bad'. Having 3 Airtronics RXs does have it's pull...