RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   WIND S PRO (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/9277256-wind-s-pro.html)

Rallygame 11-24-2009 11:47 AM

WIND S PRO

Hi,

<span class="medium_text" id="result_box"><span title="Quien tiene comentarios positivos o negativos del WIND S PRO 2M" closure_hashcode_vynic6="182" style="background-color: #fff"><font size="3">Who has positive or negative feedback the WIND SPRO 2M
</font></span><span title="La fabricaci&oacute;n china es buena" closure_hashcode_vynic6="183" style="background-color: #ebeff9"><font size="3">Chinese manufacturing is good
</font></span><font size="3"><span title="Con respecto al vuelo" closure_hashcode_vynic6="184" style="background-color: #fff">With respect to flight
</span><span title="Con respecto al peso" closure_hashcode_vynic6="185" style="background-color: #fff">With respect to weight...

Regards,
CNC
</span></font></span>

ExFokkerFlyer 11-24-2009 11:53 AM

RE: WIND S PRO

I don't think anybody has one yet. Last I heard they were due to hit the states at the end of this month, not sure about everywhere else.

Tom M

schroedm 11-24-2009 12:06 PM

Mine due in the UK in a week or 2.

Rgds,
Mark

Rallygame 11-24-2009 12:17 PM

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman">Yes 5 or 6 weeks of waiting
In portugal 2 Italians flew with the WIND S, as was, is your average score. The Wind S look very well</span>

tIANci 11-24-2009 10:16 PM

I think Jeff Boyd has one in his hands ... :)

Alfonso Garcia 11-25-2009 03:32 AM

Dear friends;

Mario Reviriego receive a Wind S Pro three weeks ago, he says it is very good quality building and finish, maiden flight is scheduled next Saturday, I hope I can be present.

Best Regards.
Alfonso Garcia.

Rallygame 11-25-2009 03:28 PM

thanks, excellent,  finishes are good, I would like to know how is the flight

Peru-Lima

rcpattern 11-26-2009 08:18 AM

Judging by its performance at the World Championships, I think it will fly excellent. I don't know that I've seen a REALLY bad flying pattern plane, especially flown by top level competition.

Arch

Jeff Boyd 2 11-26-2009 05:34 PM

Hahaha . . good one Arch. Yep . . can’t imagine how a proven World class designer/pilot and producer of airplanes could design and kit a plane that DOESN’T fly well . .

I do think Silvestri has “nailed it” with this design for EP ONLY. It has a much thinner wing section and narrower fuse (although quite deep) than we are used to seeing, and has THIN trailing edges (although a thick, profiled rudder). Really goes against the trends in many respects. It would not be ideal if it were a glow ONLY design (or hybrid) . . It will need programmed motor braking as it would accelerate on downlines IMO. Apparently, the thicker wing sections are all about creating drag for constant speed (and slowing down-lines, particularly with glow power), although I understand the thinner airfoils actually do fly better. I have heard that thickness of the wings and wing area has much more effect on drag than the size of the fuse.

Maybe an aerodynamicist can confirm/deny this . .

In any event, the Wind S Pro should be a more efficient plane for EP requiring less power due to less inherent drag . . time will tell.

Note: I wouldn't consider this plane for conversion to glow (even though it could be done by a competent builder). I think there would be better choices . . BUT . . for EP . . nice !

JB

matt13 11-27-2009 03:19 AM

So, have you started to put your's together yet Jeff?

Rallygame 11-27-2009 11:08 AM

Jeff,
Sebart say only EP, the Angels S was and is a great plane, Wind S ?
Regards

Jeff Boyd 2 11-28-2009 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Rallygame

Jeff,
Sebart say only EP, the Angels S was and is a great plane, Wind S ?
Regards

Yes . . I said that . .

ORIGINAL: Jeff Boyd 2

"I do think Silvestri has “nailed it” with this design for EP ONLY"
Some MIGHT consider buying it and modifying it for glow power . . It COULD be done (by a competent builder) but evaluating the design, I wouldn't recommend it . . it is not optimized for glow (my opinion).

Don't worry, Rally . . it will fly very well . . (there are a couple of videos of Seba and Hatta flying it on YouTube and other hosting sites).

JB

matt13 11-28-2009 07:49 PM

Jeff, I see that your updated your photo to the Wind S, is there a few build photo's to follow?
I'm green with envy if you have not noticed. :eek:
How was the State champs, I felt bad at not getting there, so I have been practicing the 2010 schedule as much as I can, my small aim is to gain at least one point in Expert this year. Matt

Jeff Boyd 2 11-29-2009 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Matt . .

No build pics yet. I will get to it over Christmas / New Year holiday period. Bit busy with stuff at the moment.

State Champs? Bit of a disappointment . . had the typical pre-major mechanical/engine woes, resulting in yet another dead-stick in the first round (long story . . ). As the event was called off due to weather, ALL rounds counted . . Soooooo [:@]. Report and results will be on our web-blog soon.

Anyway . . some pics below. Plugged it together to see how it all looked and fitted. NO ! I don't think ANY of my competition should get one ! ! :D

Cheers, JB

tIANci 11-29-2009 05:06 AM

JB ... you think she will prop hang well? :)

Jetdesign 11-29-2009 12:27 PM

I wish I had the money and space for this plane. Looks so nice! The Wind 110 should be shipped here this week; I'm sure I'll be happy with that, too =)

Jeff, what are you doing for power in this bird?

The drag thing is an interesting question, and it makes sense to me that thick TE's of wings (and rudder) would induce more drag than simply a wider fuse. Tapering the thickness of the fuse down to the width of the rudder over the length of the plane does a great job of reducing the amount of drag on the airplane. A thick wing would have a comparatively shorter taper and induce a good amount of parasitic drag on the airplane (again, comparatively). Streamlining an object is what we do to reduce the amount of parasitic drag on an object, and a thick wing would be less streamlined than a long, wide fuse.

Of course I'm just an undergrad so what do I really know? [&:]

Anyway the reports of the Wind 110 are that it accelerates a lot in down lines, and it also has a thin profile and thin wings.

Barye 11-29-2009 01:49 PM

Observation has been that pattern planes with thick TE's fly better in turbulent air than the other planes.

Rhilluk 11-29-2009 03:57 PM

when you say the wing is thinner, by how much. I understand most pattern planes are about 12%, is this less than 10?

Jeff Boyd 2 11-30-2009 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

when you say the wing is thinner, by how much. I understand most pattern planes are about 12%, is this less than 10?
I am not sure . . I suppose I could work it out, but . . :eek:. Anyway, the pic shows the Comp-ARF Integral wing (above) and the Wind S Pro (below) for comparison. You can also make out the much smaller (lighter) wing tube used in the Wind . .

And the best bit ! ! . . the wing weighs 348.9g (12.3oz). Both my wings were within a gram of each other . . amazing ! The light weight combined with a VERY inboard Aileron servo should present some nice characteristics.

JB

cappaj1 11-30-2009 11:24 AM

So how much will the Wind S Pro end up costing for the airframe shipped to the US, ballpark, anyone have any idea?

ExFokkerFlyer 11-30-2009 01:01 PM

Contact Esprit Models, espritmodel.com, they should have them in stock here shortly and will be the US distributor of the SebArt line. It's not listed on the website, but I emailed them a couple months back and they said in stock late November. I think the price was around $1600 unpainted, and around $2000 for the painted one. I can't find the email for the exact prices but that's close. They are in Florida, so how ever much it is to ship from there to you...

Tom M

cappaj1 11-30-2009 01:07 PM

Jeesh, that's A LOT more than I had thought. Didn't realize it was much. I didn't even realize it was painted, I figured it had covering on it. Too rich for my blood, although I wish I had that kind of money to spend on it as it's a beauty!

Jetdesign 11-30-2009 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cappaj1

Jeesh, that's A LOT more than I had thought. Didn't realize it was much. I didn't even realize it was painted, I figured it had covering on it. Too rich for my blood, although I wish I had that kind of money to spend on it as it's a beauty!
it is a composite plane, not covered balsa.

huison2005 11-30-2009 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

:D gaRCfield , i see you have alot interrest with this PRO ...... i have mine preorder 2months ago .... still in the waiting list[:o]

Jeff Boyd 2 , which power plane do you choose for this beauty . . .?? out-runner or inrunner (C-50 14XL or Neu F3A) ...??
Hope to get mine soon next month . . . .!!

elan120 11-30-2009 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

It looks to be painted composite fuse with covered balsa wing and stab.