RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Plane suggestions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/9389867-plane-suggestions.html)

Nathan_L 01-05-2010 04:58 PM

Plane suggestions

I'd like some suggestions on planes that are currently available (that kinda being key) that I could use to move into pattern. I likely won't ever complete but you never know if I move.

Only cavet is it has to fit a current engine I own as I have an over abundance of them. Price is somewhat of an object at the moment as well and I'm trying to locate a plane to fit engines/electronics I already have.

Engines I have in multiples of each are OS 50sx 2 stroke glow, Saito .72 4 strokes, and OS 1.60 2 stroke glow.

I could go either way kits or ARF, but an ARF might be a better fit as I'm bogged down in a kit build now that was supposed to be a short break for a scratch build...you know how it goes.

petec 01-05-2010 05:34 PM

RE: Plane suggestions

Northeast Aero has the Aquila on sale since they are going out of business and you could put your os 1.60 in it. Get it as an ARF or an ARC.

If you wanted to pick up something used in a 2 meter plane there are always options popping up here on RCU in the for sale section as well as on the NSRCA list.

cmoulder 01-05-2010 06:06 PM

Focus II (Piedmont Models) would be good for the 1.60, and now it is $649, which includes shipping.

Nice entry-level 2-meter pattern ship, and I'm working on one now, so much do I like the way the Focus Sport (with YS 1.10) flies.

Ryan Smith 01-05-2010 10:29 PM

Try looking around for a used airplane. I'm sure you could pick up a good quality airframe that's possibly even got servos and setup for your OS 1.60. If you're a member of the NSRCA discussion list, you could post a query on there, and I'm sure you'd find something in your area. Good luck!

Nathan_L 01-05-2010 11:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I'll start doing some research into those. I prefer not to do used. "In my area" would mean a 3-4 hour drive one way so we'll see.

rcpattern 01-06-2010 08:36 AM

Nathan,

I am sure there are a lot of good used planes in your "area." 3-4 hours really isn't that big of a deal for flying pattern and such. The Focus II is also hard to beat. I think I would also seriously consider waiting a little bit on the Vanquish. It will be available, the question is when. There is an Evolution on sale here on RCU that is actually a good plane. A lot of people have bashed the design, but when properly setup with good gear and some effort trimming, it is a good plane. It is even has a 1.60 with it. I have flown the plane and it would certainly do what you want it to to.

Arch

LCHelilover 01-06-2010 09:12 AM

Hey Nathan,

If you're in Nachogdoches, you don't need to move to get into the "pattern circuit". There are a bunch of contests in District 6. Houston area, and South LA accounts for 6-8 contests each season. Check out the calendar at nsrca 's website and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get started.

BTW, you don't need a "pattern plane" to get started. Any well trimmed, good flying sport plane is competitive in Sportsman. Once you've flown a real pattern plane, you won't want to fly anything else...so be careful<G>!

I'll second the motions for a Focus II as an immediate available option and I'm eager to see what the Vanquish is like when it's available. Focus is still competitive through Advanced so it won't "hold you back" . The OS 160 should haul that fine. The Sport Focus is a 110 size version but if you have the 160, bigger is better.

George

Nathan_L 01-06-2010 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like to just get a plane and fly here and practice (I fly at the house). I'm not really willing to travel to Houston to fly at a field that host a contest. With the changes to 59 it can take me 3+ hours to get there now, one way. That's 6 hours of driving time in one day "IF" there's no construction lol. I used to could make it in under 2 hours but in the last few years there's been a rash of stop signs, red lights, and 45 mph zones.

I signed up to the list so I'll keep an eye out for what's available. I no longer have a plane small enough to fly in pattern unless at the lowest level they are willing to let me fly a gas powered 105" wingspan plane....doubtful. That's why I have an abundance of glow engines because I no longer have planes for them.

I wish there were more plans of modern designs available and I would build one.

petec 01-06-2010 01:56 PM

Most CD's waive the size and weight in Sportsman to encourage guys to try pattern.

rcprecision 01-06-2010 01:59 PM

Nathan,

Having lived in Houston for the last 20 years or so I truly understand what you mean about that corridor of 59. That's the worst part of my trip when I drive from Houston to Muncie, IN when I go to the AMA Nationals.

In regards to your current airplane size I am the event coordinator for a pattern event held at my RC club [link=http://www.spacecityrc.com/]Space City[/link] in west Houston. We indeed waive the weight and size rule for Sportsman class and welcome any size aircraft to be flown. Generally this is the rule at most pattern events in D6. Contact me off line if you have questions on this.

You wanna build, may I recommend a D6 local design by [link=http://insightrc.com/]Insight RC[/link] called the Pentathlon a laser cut wood and foam kit that will accommodate an OS 160. Contact Mark Hunt the designer/owner he's always ready and willing to answer questions about his designs.

rcpattern 01-06-2010 02:57 PM

Nathan,

All of the above planes can be used in contests. You don't have to drive to Houston just to fly pattern. To attend a contest, you might drive 3-4 hours, but not on a regular basis. Contests are a lot of fun just for the people. After hitting a contest or two, its usually pretty easy to find someone to split rooms with and such and save some money there. Definitely worth considering sometime just to try. You can certainly fly all of the above planes at your house to practice,

Arch

Nathan_L 01-06-2010 06:14 PM

I'm going to look into that plane from Insight. Even if I could get a set of plans it would be a starting point if I wanted to modifiy it.

I'll be moving soon so I want to get a plane purely for pattern and start some practicing while I can still fly at the house everyday. After I move most likely I'll live closer to somewhere that has a pattern contest and/or pattern enthusiest but likely won't be able to fly as often.

So I thought I'd get a head start.

Strat2003 01-07-2010 08:03 AM

Nathan, I'd second that Evolution that Arch mentioned. I've flown it, too, and liked it, it's all set up and ready to go and the price is right. Also, the seller has beat me with the airplane in every contest, so I'd be glad to see it leave the District!

Scott

Nathan_L 01-07-2010 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Nathan, I'd second that Evolution that Arch mentioned. I've flown it, too, and liked it, it's all set up and ready to go and the price is right. Also, the seller has beat me with the airplane in every contest, so I'd be glad to see it leave the District!

Scott
So what you are saying is you would donate say 50% "to the cause" just to see it gone.....

heh ok I HAD to try.

petec 01-07-2010 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Scott
So what you are saying is you would donate say 50% ''to the cause'' just to see it gone.....

heh ok I HAD to try.
Maybe if Scott wants it gone bad enough he'll hand deliver it.....

Strat2003 01-07-2010 06:36 PM

Last time I did that I brought back a better plane for my rival, lol!

petec 01-07-2010 06:52 PM

True, but try telling him that.

Nathan_L 01-11-2010 11:45 PM

Well everyone suggested the larger plane but now I'm seriously considering going to something I can use the OS .50sx or the saito .72 in for the reason I could fit it into the truck and I'm thinking of joining an actual club/field and I could kill (2) birds with one stone...a practice pattern plane and a plane I could stuff into the truck and take on the road without having to hook up my trailer.

So my search continues.

Jetdesign 01-12-2010 01:20 AM

Check out some of the World Models planes at Airborne-models.com. We have a rep from the World Models and they have some nice small pattern ships.

For what it's worth, I drive a minimum of 5 hours every time there is a pattern meet in D1. Not that bad of a trip considering it's a 2 day event with practice on the Friday before (2 nights, 3 days of flying). The whole thing is a lot of fun - the flying, the people, the hotels, etc.

petec 01-12-2010 10:10 AM

World Models Spot-On 50 perhaps?

4u2nv-RCU 01-12-2010 06:17 PM

I have a Kyosho Oxalys that would be great for the Saito 72. They are still available along with a little more current design called the Osmose. They fly great and can be used to fly all the maneuvers through Masters. Just find any Kyosho retailer. They Oxalys was 250.00 shipped to my door.

My 2 cents

Nathan_L 01-12-2010 11:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at picking up the Osmose in the for the sale section here on RCU and sticking my Saito .72 in it.

Atlanta 60 01-13-2010 06:05 AM

I have an Osmose I'm "assembling" when I have time (it's going very slow though)...I obviously haven't flown it yet but do have an Oxalys 50 which I like very much...I think you would have a fine pattern trainer with the Osmose and the price is right on the one listed in the RCU Marketplace..

If you elect to go that route here are a couple of threads on that aircraft you may like to read through:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7873011/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9329383/tm.htm

One comment I have:
On both my Oxalys and Osmose the covering is very loose when I got them...I spent allot of time with the iron tightening the covering and making sure the edges were down..I have a little flight time on the Oxalys and the covering is staying tight so far...One of the issues with these planes was the covering is "junk"...Time will tell but it seems to me taking the time to stick it down in the beginning may help that issue a little..

I love my Oxalys...It flies like a dream and is easy to transport...I'm looking forward to the Osmose!!

Good Luck..

Chuck

4u2nv-RCU 01-13-2010 12:44 PM

I will echo the sentiments on the covering for the Oxalys. I tried the iron but I have found it really handy to keep a bottle of thin CA around. Maybe a coat of clear Lustercoat? Either way the plane flies too good to let it be a deal killer! The Saito is a great engine for either plane!!

Peace!!

crankpin 01-13-2010 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been flying SPA. Now, starting with the Focus Sport for AMA. I am just an average flyer. I have been practicing with this plane for the last 3 days, under extreme crosswind conditon's. Bad on the ground, imagine what it is on top. After my method of trimming out, no expert here, dialed in 45% expo aileron's and elevator half's.
I can fly around easy on approx. 40 - 50% power. Had the chance today to get coached on my first Sportsman sequence. Got thru it, but need to burn more fuel. The F. Sport has been a good choice for first AMA plane, for me. Flying in very windy condition's has not been great, it handles it fine. Landing, just point it, do your correction's, it will settle in.

For $300.00, + $50.00 shipping, and you do not have to use high end servo's, a very good deal, a great performer for this class.
It has 4 wing adjuster's, Ultra-Cote covering is excellent, easy set-up.

Equipment used: Aileron's DS9411SA's
Elevator's DS3421SA's (discontinued)
YS110S with Hyde Mount

Vince