Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

TX crystals

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 06:17 AM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crystal change

HI bigjet,

If you just change the crystal it will need retuning, I would suggest that you acquire another complete module on the ch you want, that type of change would not require tuning .

Also another way is to trade modules with someone else and save the expence of the new price of the module.

The ch tuning is in the module if you change the module you donot have to retune the tx.

FCC regs. donot allow crystal changes only in tx's, rx's can be changed .

I hope this answer is understandable, if not I will try to clear up any part you need cleared.

Keep em fly'in John
Old 04-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TXCrystal Change

I have changed frequencies (crystals) from 15 thru 56 in transmitters, and never sent the box in for "retuning", nor suffered from inadequate range.
Legally, I suppose a "certified" technician has to look at the change, but practically, the electronics in modern transmitters hold the center frequency of the channel more than adequately.
MOF it is common for many folks to carry spare crystal sets to avoid frequency conflicts.. changing to whatever is needed for the moment.
As the modules and complete transmitters/recievers are available with the crystal sets of your choice, the "retuning" is a waste of time.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:42 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Changing

I have changed many of the also.....No problems.
Also have changed many Futuba.....
DOC
Old 04-25-2002, 07:44 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default TXCrystal Change

Should you change Xtals yourself, No. Do people do it, Yes. My thoughts are Hey it's your plane and the peoples planes around you and the crowd in the area. I know it's a pain in the butt but the AMA won't cover your can if something goes wrong and if you drop somebody's else's plane im sure the guys would want to have a little chat with you out back. Get a module, hey if your radio is a year old it's about time to send it in for a check anyway.
Fly well Bkf
Old 04-25-2002, 07:53 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default TXCrystal Change

Originally posted by bigjet
Thanks.... that is my plan... I just got off the phone with Horizon Hobby and requested a module with my desired freq installed.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:07 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Marry???

Think this thing out hanger rat.......
You know you can't marry someone for their brains...
DOC
Old 07-28-2002, 06:37 AM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

Default TX crystals

I also have been going back and forth with this subject !! Not only with other R/Cers but also with Futaba/ Hobbico .. I started out with a skyport and ch 44 later upgraded to a T6XA on ch 40 ! I have 5 aircraft running on ch 40 and 1 on ch 44 .. So its one more radio to mantain and drag along .. well as to reduce my load of items to take to the field I tried swapping the TX crystal !! Did the range test and all seemed fine and have been flying the plane now for a few weeks !! But I also catch some Sh** from fellow R/Cers about doing this !! I just finaly decied the He** with it and ordered a RX crystal !! So now all my RX`s are on Ch 40 .. I do plane to get another Radio this winter as my hanger is in need of new arivals hahaha but I think to end further debate and conflict with other R/Cers Im thinking a new Hitec Eclipse with spectra is going to be the winner .. So with this I turned my old skyport into a trainer box and now have a set of ch 44 TX and RX crystals for sale ! MMMMM maybe I need to destroy the TX crystal as nobody is suposed to be messing with the TX crystals