Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba dropping all NiCads?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba dropping all NiCads?

went to buy a 6v 1000mah pack from tower to replace a pack in one of my models, and it says discontinued. looking further i found several other NiCad batteries are discontinued.

i tried to get the answer in the Futaba forum, but am getting the no answer.

anyone know anything about this?

there were 2 replies in the other thread, but like usual, Bax deleted them right away..........
Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba dropping all NiCads?

Google Batteries America or other online dealers and get and TX or RX pack you want with any connector you need at a good price.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Summerwind,
Since you like the High RPM engines too and really value your plane, I would not settle for anything less than a pack from NOBS. They are put together much better than allmost all of the rest, and they are not relabled cells like some of the others offer.

http://www.hangtimes.com/nobsbatteries.html
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: summerwind went to buy a 6v 1000mah pack from tower to replace a pack in one of my models, and it says discontinued. looking further i found several other NiCad batteries are discontinued.
i tried to get the answer in the Futaba forum, but am getting the no answer. anyone know anything about this? there were 2 replies in the other thread, but like usual, Bax deleted them right away.........
Question regarding the withdrawal of NiCD batteries answered togetherwith cautions regarding use of the replacement NiMH batteriesat:
Aurora A9 - Battery is not charged. Charge before first use so as not to damage battery.

More under sub section "Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs." at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
summerwind

hey many thx for the info guys.
i know there is other stuff out there.
just ticks me off how a modeler is forced to go elsewhere these days when i have many planes fitted with batteries that i keep logs on, and then find that Futaba has discontinued them.
i see that there are many replacements that fit the same dimensions.
having explored the NiHm batteries via the High power flashlight guys, and seeing how a cell can take a sudden dump on ya, ( i've seen this first hand thru testing) i am still not ready to use them. Eneloops have been great though, so who knows.

Futaba and OS engines must be one in the same the way they just suddenly discontinue servos, gear sets for servos and many other items that one is equipped with. they are forcing us to buy new stuff, and that's just plain BS.............or is it Hobbico that is making this a challenge?
Bax has declined to mention what's going on, so either he doesn't know, or he can't say[:-]
Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: summerwind hey many thx for the info guys. i know there is other stuff out there.
just ticks me off how a modeler is forced to go elsewhere these days when i have many planes fitted with batteries that i keep logs on, and then find that Futaba has discontinued them. i see that there are many replacements that fit the same dimensions. having explored the NiHm batteries via the High power flashlight guys, and seeing how a cell can take a sudden dump on ya, ( i've seen this first hand thru testing) i am still not ready to use them. Eneloops have been great though, so who knows.
Futaba and OS engines must be one in the same the way they just suddenly discontinue servos, gear sets for servos and many other items that one is equipped with. they are forcing us to buy new stuff, and that's just plain BS.............or is it Hobbico that is making this a challenge? Bax has declined to mention what's going on, so either he doesn't know, or he can't say[:-]
O.S.Engines Ltd is wholly owned by Futaba.
Futaba bought O.S.Engines after the death of the founder - Mr. Shigeo Ogawa.

There are many separate Futaba and by default O.S.Engines Agents/Distributors around the world, Hobbico being simply the USA Agent/Distributor as shown on their homepage.

regards
Alan T.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: summerwind

went to buy a 6v 1000mah pack from tower to replace a pack in one of my models, and it says discontinued. looking further i found several other NiCad batteries are discontinued.

i tried to get the answer in the Futaba forum, but am getting the no answer.

anyone know anything about this?

there were 2 replies in the other thread, but like usual, Bax deleted them right away..........
Hi Mike,

I hear you buddy, Perhaps Hobbico trying to push there new line of LiFe source batteries? http://www.lifesourcebatteries.com/index.html

Two years ago I changed all my models (non electrics) to A123’s from NoBs: http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_packs.html

MHO, A123 LiFe.... the best rx batteries around.

Regards.
Doug.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
summerwind

thx Doug,

being a brand loyalist (customer) use to get some respect, but what OS and Futaba do to their customers is just plain rude.

"hey let's discontinue these items so the stupid consumer has to buy our newest product"................

not to change the subject either, but at least YS customers are able to run their engines long past the discontined date as YS has parts for them.

i'll be making the change to those soon Doug
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Hey, Guys. The EPA, in it's infinite wisdom, had decided that Cadmium is a health hazard; therefore, no more Nickle Cadmium batteries. This happened some time ago, and I am surprised that it has taken this long to have impact.

Les
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sheesh, he can't wait 2 days. We saw the OP's first inquiry on Monday, sent out an inquiry, and he's PO'd it took this long to get our reply. We finally got an answer. All of the manufacturers are phasing-out NiCd packs. They're illegal to sell in Europe, now, with a few exceptions (medical devices and such). Part of ROHS compliance.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Su
ORIGINAL: summerwind

thx Doug,

being a brand loyalist (customer) use to get some respect, but what OS and Futaba do to their customers is just plain rude.

''hey let's discontinue these items so the stupid consumer has to buy our newest product''................

not to change the subject either, but at least YS customers are able to run their engines long past the discontined date as YS has parts for them.

i'll be making the change to those soon Doug
I agree with you on the YS parts availability long after the particular model is discontinued. I went over that topic many times years ago. OS appears to do that with all of there engines when they are retired, and if you could get the parts, they useally are far too expensive to even bother with it.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

O.S. will produce parts for at least five years after an engine is discontinued. After that, the demand falls to such a low level, that even taking orders for a year and then producing only those parts is still not economically feasible. Some parts are not stocked in North America because of extremely-low demand. Any current part that's not stocked can be special ordered from O.S.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I've never had a problem finding O.S. parts. If they're out of production, I call around to a list of larger hobby shops that usually have NOS stocked. Tho I've never had a need for larger parts (engine case, crank), but have for NV, mufflers, etc.

YS on the other hand, might have great parts availability, but it's going on 2 years wait for the 115. Don't announce it if it's not tooled up & in production! & wouldn't you know I buy a 63 and 2 months later the 70 is announced. That was 1.5 years arriving too!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Bax

Sheesh, he can't wait 2 days. We saw the OP's first inquiry on Monday, sent out an inquiry, and he's PO'd it took this long to get our reply. We finally got an answer. All of the manufacturers are phasing-out NiCd packs. They're illegal to sell in Europe, now, with a few exceptions (medical devices and such). Part of ROHS compliance.
thx for stepping in there Bill.....yes i can be a little impatient, but it really gets old to have to suddenly start shopping elswhere for an item you rely on to be there. one would think as a retailer, that this info would have already been available to Hobbico/Tower before posting a "discontinued" notice.

same goes for servo gears, are they outlawed too?

maybe a quick note in ones post that you will check into it and then get back to them would help.
not special treatment, just a courtesy.
i do also realize that you and Krysta come here and answer inquiries on your own time, but sometimes i see posts unanswered, so who knows.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I heard that nicads would be phased out several years ago. Enviromental issues.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
jaka

Hi!
NiCad batteries are not illegal to sell in Europe!! They still exist ...but why use them when there are better NiMH cells available..?!

When there are 2700mAh AA cells and 850 or 1000 mAh AAA cells available why use 1100mAh NiCad cells?!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

"Better" is a matter of opinion.. I personally don't care for the self discharge of the NiMh cells, nor the higher internal resistance. The Eneloop cells are getting close, though..

Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
NiCad batteries are not illegal to sell in Europe!! They still exist ...but why use them when there are better NiMH cells available..?!

When there are 2700mAh AA cells and 850 or 1000 mAh AAA cells available why use 1100mAh NiCad cells?!

because you probably haven't seen how quickly a NiHm cell can go kaput!....seriously, NiHm technology is not the best for our application.......those using them are on the lucky side of things, or not telling the truth.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM
pilotpete2

If you use 5 cell packs, then you may want to consider 2S A123 packs. I have them in all my gas and glow powered models.
Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
fiery

I use Eneloop packs. All good ...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 PM
fizzwater2

Pete - I would, but they're heavy. The smallest I've been able to find are 1100 mah, and they're pretty hefty. I fly race planes, and every ounce counts.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: fiery I use Eneloop packs. All good ...
Eneloop aregood for transmitters but use with caution as aircraft power packs, especially with high current draw servos/situations:

"Current related discussion elsewhere regarding Eneloop cells.and benefit of battery voltage telemetry.

"Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMayberry - but take this situation for example: a guy was flying with a 5 cell 2000mah Eneloop RX pack that cycled easily to 2000 mah with a 1A load and worked fine in a sport application for over a year, but when that same pack was used in a larger application with multiple digital servos it fell flat on it's face and the low voltage warning would kick it under normal maneuvers.
Of course if he had made a proper battery selection in the first place then everything else is moot.
The Eneloop cells are fine in transmitters and low load airborne use. But their high internal impedance makes them unsuitable for any kind of potentially high load use. Under load these cells have a large voltage depression due to the high internal impedance.
You do not need telemetry to tell you that - Silent-AV8R "

Response - Mike Mayberry
" Agreed that these batteries were the wrong tool for the job, but in this case the user was unaware that they were not suitable and luckily landed when the low battery warning went off, most likely saving the airplane. A loaded volt meter even at 2A (equivalent of one digital servo) would not have made a difference here as the load would not have been high enough to sag the voltage. Flight loads vary with the servos in use, but if you consider that a high power digital servo working hard can easily pull 2A each (or more) then the only accurate way to see how the battery handle the actual flight conditions is with telemetry.
Yes, most of you know what you're doing but so many R/Cers out there have no idea about how the flight loads can affect the battery voltage; this goes for BEC's used in Electronic Speed Controls which which with the higher voltage threshold of 2.4 is the culprit for so many brownout crashes. What percentage of pilots use a loaded volt meter every time they fly? Not many. How many with telemetry check their battery every time they fly? 100% <snip>". . Mike. "

more under Batteries at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

FWIW I have gone to LiFePO4 packs in all my planes. I use the Hyperion brand in the size that is best suited for my application. I use my Hyperion EOS061DUO to charge them (A123 setting). Superior voltage delivery even under high loads, negligible voltage loss between charges, no fire worries like lipos, robust cell design, and high capacity loading (mAh per ounce).

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/fg3radio/

I buy all mine here: http://www.rclipos.com/Hyperion_Receiver.htm

These packs are very popular now in the soaring community and we are having great results. I also have them in my pattern plane and a couple of sport planes and of course all my high end competition gliders.

I do have Eneloop packs as well that I use mostly in transmitters.

I have not used a NiCad pack in years and contrary to what Summerwind says I had superb results using NiMH cells for almost the last 20 years or so.

The attached graph shows a Hyperion LiFePO4 pack compared to an Eneloop pack. Both discharged at 500 mA load. Yes, the LiFePO4 packs drop off sharply near the end of the charge, but there is absolutely no reason to take them down that far. They can be charged at 4C, so after a set amount of time I simply recharge and I am good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73870.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1505924  
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM
fizzwater2

Silent - thanks for those links - that little 850 pack looks like it would be worth a try. Might have to get a couple of those before long.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM
BuschBarber

I have had very good luck with LiPoly and LithIon Rx packs. They hold their charge forever and recharge fast. I just bought a 2300mah LiFePo4 2cell Rx pack from EPBuddy, at Ejets, in Ohio. I have not used these A123 type packs before but I wanted to try them. I have two FMA Cellpro 10S chargers.

What is the best way to monitor the voltage of A123 packs so you know when to recharge? I had been told that because they have such a flat power curve, that you do not see a gradual drop in voltage such as with other battery types and therefore it requires special attention to determine when to recharge.

I am tired of NiMh self-discharging and false peaking when trying to charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.