Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 9503 issues

Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 AM
arogers
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9503 issues

Im having issues with my JR 9503 Airplane version

First off im going to say this is a brand new radio purchased two weeks ago.

Issue number one. When I try to set the radio up for dual ailerion servos, the radio wont let me select anything other then inhibit. I think the option should be to "slave the aux 2"?

Issue number to. When I move the elevatorstickon the transmitter, the plane responds by doing a snap roll. (Yes the snap roll buttton and snaproll in the radio is inhibited).Thank God I cought it before I flew it Ha ha.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 AM
grizzly59

Default RE: JR 9503 issues

If you follow these instructions you should not have a problem with ailerons. As far as elevator issues your set up may be wrong. For example if you have too much throw you will snap a plane very easily when using elevator. Also if you have no expo you may snap a plane easy. A low rate on elevator movememt may be as little as a quarter of an inch. In some planes any more than that may result in a snap.

5. Device Selection
Since many large aerobatic planes use two channels per flight control, one for left and one for right, we need to make sure these auxiliary channels are not utilized by any of their switches. Otherwise, next time you turn on your aircraft with the flap switch in a different location one aileron will be extremely out of trim.
From the System Menu, highlight and select "DeviceSEL" (short for "Device Select"). Other aircraft may warrant keeping any of the switch functions available on this page (GEAR, FLAP, AUX2, AUX3, and AUX4) active, but for a giant-scale aerobatic plane we can simply inhibit all of them. For each of the five columns, scroll to where the bottom row is highlighted then click until it reads "INH" (short for "Inhibited"). Once the entire bottom row reads "INH" we can move on. Click LIST to return to the System Menu.
6. Wing Type
The final option in the System Menu we need to use is "Wing TYPE." Once you highlight and select this function, you will be taken to a page with numerous options. The first thing to change is the wing type itself. Scroll with the rolling selector until "Wing" is highlighted and click the rolling selector. A sub-window will appear giving you three options for the wing type: Normal, Flaperon, and Delta. For our aircraft, we need two channels dedicated to the ailerons (left and right), and one way to program this is by selecting flaperon as the wing type. Flaperon assigns the flap channel to be the left aileron channel, and the standard aileron channel is, by default, the right aileron channel. One of the greatest features of the XP9303 is that it renames the channels RAIL (Right Aileron for channel 2) and LAIL (Left Aileron for channel 6 - Flap/AUX1). This feature is very handy in later programming. Now, in case you don't have the left aileron hooked up to FLAP/AUX1, there is a manual way to assign the 'flaperon' function to a different channel. Scroll with the rolling selector until the 'MATE' underneath "AILE" is highlighted. This should be inhibited by default. If you click the rolling selector, a sub-window will appear that allows you to select any of the available channels to use as your second aileron channel. Scroll over so the channel you wish to use is highlighted, then click the rolling selector to make your selection. Note: You must keep the wing type set to "Normal" in order to change the Mate for the aileron channel.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:49 AM
arogers

I didnt mention that its on a 50cc aeroworks extra 300. One servo per wing.

Also when I use the evevator stick on the transmitter its on the ground that it goes into a snap roll. I have never flown the plane because of this. When I move the elevator stick the alerons , rudder and elev move to a snap roll position. Everything is hooked up correctly to the receiver and I have no mixes set up yet on the radio

Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

I’ve owned several 9303 and none of them have had the snap roll behavior you described for your 9503. There is not that much difference between the models. Before declaring an equipment defect, would you do one test?

On a different model slot, first select ACRO type. Next, this is important, do a MDL Reset. Do no other programming. Look at the monitor screen and see if you have the snap when you move the elevator. Write back.

Allan

Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 AM
grizzly59

I use this short version plane set up. It's for 9303 but the 9503 is very much the same in setting up. Beats looking at the manual. I got this off the Horizon site several years ago. Maybe this will help you. AWorrest's advice is good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Li21148.pdf (97.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
AWorrest

If the snap shows up on the Monitor menu with a stripped down ACRO setup, something may be wrong with the transmitter. I’ve never encountered a situation where the monitor didn’t reflect the true output of the transmitter. I expect the problem is elsewhere.

Allan

Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 PM
arogers

Thanks for the help but it does show in the monitor menu. Ive reset the model and tried other model numbers. The funny thing is I flew it on a different plane same receiver with no problem. Just when I set up this plane it started.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:59 PM
AWorrest

So there is no mis-communication about the snap, when you move the elevator on a default setup, do the rudder and ailerons move about the same amount as the elevator?

If the monitor is showing the snap condition, the problem is originating in the transmitter. The plane’s receiver and its servos are just following the commands being sent to it. Double check that right after you have done a model reset, the Snap Roll menu in the Function List says INH. If it does and the snap shows up on the monitor, the transmitter is not operating correctly. The default settings don’t produce a snap.

Give Horizon Hobby service number a call. It’s free and they are there on a Saturday.

Allan

Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
arogers

OK GUYS THANKS. I Found out the issue

Issue (1) The snap thing was the receiver, I tried a different receiver and guess what no snap. I tried the "bad" receiver on a different radio and it did the same thing, so i will be sending my brand new JR (channel 2.4g receiver in for repair.

Issue (2) Dual Ailerons, I did a reset of the entire radio and it worked.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

I found this thread very helpful, I have a new 9503 and was pulling my hair out trying to program my 50cc Pitts, with four servos for ailerons, and could not get the thing to work. Then from reading this, I discovered that the left ailerons go into the AILE port, and the right go into the AUX port. Unless I missed it the five times I read through the manual, I didn't see that.
All I can say is, "Thanks Hosier06![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Saito_56

I found this thread very helpful, I have a new 9503 and was pulling my hair out trying to program my 50cc Pitts, with four servos for ailerons, and could not get the thing to work. Then from reading this, I discovered that the left ailerons go into the AILE port, and the right go into the AUX port. Unless I missed it the five times I read through the manual, I didn't see that.
All I can say is, ''Thanks Hosier06![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Normally, with JR/Spektrum, the Right Aileron servo connects to the Aileron channel 2 and the Left Aileron servo connects to the Aux1 (Flap) channel 6. This is of course if you are using the Flapperon Wing Type. Those channels are then relabled RAil and LAil in the programming.

Are you trying to set up the four aileron servos on separate channels or are you using a Y Harness for the pairs of Aileron servos on each side of the aircraft and only mixing two channels?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Saito_56

I have four aileron servos going into two MPI dual servo extensions. One set is plugged into the Aileron port, the other is plugged into AUX2.
Now the strange part is, the ailerons on the top wing are into one port and the ailerons on the lower wing is in the other. They all work as they should, so I don't know if I should leave well enough alone, or change it so the two on the left go on one port, and the two on the right go into the other port. I do not have it set for flapperon's either.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
BuschBarber

I have four aileron servos going into two MPI dual servo extensions. One set is plugged into the Aileron port, the other is plugged into AUX2.
Now the strange part is, the ailerons on the top wing are into one port and the ailerons on the lower wing is in the other. They all work as they should, so I don't know if I should leave well enough alone, or change it so the two on the left go on one port, and the two on the right go into the other port. I do not have it set for flapperon's either.
Ok!! I use MPI stuff, as well. I guess they refer to their Y harness, with the molded plastic end, as Dual Extensions. I am not a big fan of any kind of Y Harness. I would be using a JR Matchbox, on each side of the aircraft, to Match each pair of Aileron servos to one another. You can set Servo Direction, Neutral, and End Points for each servo. I would then connect the Right side pair to the Aileron channel and the Left side pair to the Aux1 (Flap) channel and select the Flapperon Wing Type.

I assume you are using the Mate function to select Aux2 channel as the Mate for the Aileron channel. If you have the Top Wing pair on one channel and the Bottom Wing pair on the other channel, when you move the Aileron Stick, the servos on the Top Wing should move in one direction and the servos on the Bottom Wing should move in the other direction. I do not think that is the proper way do set up this aircraft. It must be that because the right and left servos, on each wing, are moving in opposite directions, that it appears to be working normally. I think this will cause you problems in the future.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Saito_56

I used the mate function and will dig a little deeper into this tomorrow. I might try putting both the left ailerons on one extension, and the right on the other and see what happens. But as of now, they work and appear to be working correctly. Just need some manual adjustments.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM
FrankFuss

If you are running two aileron servos from a Y harness, the you need programmable servos like Hitec's so they can be syncronized using a programmer. If you don't have programmable servos, then you should use a JR servo matchbox.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 PM
BuschBarber

I used the mate function and will dig a little deeper into this tomorrow. I might try putting both the left ailerons on one extension, and the right on the other and see what happens. But as of now, they work and appear to be working correctly. Just need some manual adjustments.
Putting the Right Aileron servos on the Aileron channel and the Left Aileron servos on the Aux2 channel is moving in the right direction, but you do not have enough control over each individual servo. The top wing servo and the bottom wing servo need to be matched and that is difficult to do mechanically. You do not want them to fight one another as that will eventually lead to servo damage. I am not sure if you can put all four Aileron servos on separate channels and Slave three of them to the Aileron channel, with the 9503. Sometimes, you run into issues with the Trims not affecting all four servos. This question has been asked before on other threads. Some of the newer radios have 4 Aileron programs included.

I guess mixing the Aileron channel and Aux2, using the Mate Function, has no disadvantages over mixing the Aileron channel and Aux1, using the Flapperon Wing Type. I prefer using the Flapperon Wing Type on aircraft that do not have Flaps.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Shouldn't his set up be left wing or wings AILE and right wing or wings AUX1 The elevator halves would be ELEV and aux2 unless JR is different then spektrum.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

Shouldn't his set up be left wing or wings AILE and right wing or wings AUX1 The elevator halves would be ELEV and aux2 unless JR is different then spektrum.
If you look in the manual or at Post #2 in this thread, the Right Aileron is always connected to the Aileron channel 2 (Master) and the Left Aileron is connected to the Slave Channel. The same is true with the Elevator halves. The Right Elevator is connected to the Elevator channel 3 (Master) and the Left Elevator is connected to the Slave channel.

Once you choose the Flapperon Wing Type or you use the Mate Function to mix the Aileron channel with another channel, the Aileron channel is renamed to RAIL (Right Aileron), in the programming. This is why the Right Aileron servo should be connected to the Aileron channel. You will see the same thing happen if you use the Mate Function to mix the Elevator channel with another channel. The Elevator channel becomes RELE.

This has been the convention for JR/Spektrum for many years.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Saito_56

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

If you look in the manual or at Post #2 in this thread, the Right Aileron is always connected to the Aileron channel 2 (Master) and the Left Aileron is connected to the Slave Channel. The same is true with the Elevator halves. The Right Elevator is connected to the Elevator channel 3 (Master) and the Left Elevator is connected to the Slave channel.

Once you choose the Flapperon Wing Type or you use the Mate Function to mix the Aileron channel with another channel, the Aileron channel is renamed to RAIL (Right Aileron), in the programming. This is why the Right Aileron servo should be connected to the Aileron channel. You will see the same thing happen if you use the Mate Function to mix the Elevator channel with another channel. The Elevator channel becomes RELE.

This has been the convention for JR/Spektrum for many years.
Thats right. I originally set the wing type as Flapperons, but the left aileron halves were placed on the flap switch channel. I like to use that for my dual rates, so I changed the wing type to normal, so I could change the left ailerons from flap to another channel. I do have programmable Hitec servos on my ailerons and elevator halves, HS-5625's and my rudder has a HS-7955. I will see if someone I know has a programmer.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM
BuschBarber

(quote]

Thats right. I originally set the wing type as Flapperons, but the left aileron halves were placed on the flap switch channel. I like to use that for my dual rates, so I changed the wing type to normal, so I could change the left ailerons from flap to another channel. I do have programmable Hitec servos on my ailerons and elevator halves, HS-5625's and my rudder has a HS-7955. I will see if someone I know has a programmer.
I don't think you realize that when you want to use various channels to mix with others, there are many options in the Device Select menu.

Choosing the Flapperon Wing Type does not mean you have to use Ailerons as Flaps. It is just the most convenient way to mix Right and Left Aileron servos. You can turn off the Flap Switch and Flap Trim.

When you are using the Flapperon Wing Type, you can Inhibit the Flap System by going into the System Menu, then into Device Select, and under Flap, you change the last value in the column from Sys to Inh. Now, you can use the Flap Switch for any other purpose. You can Inhibit other switches, in Device Select, so they do not interfere with your mixing options. The Gear Switch is another one that you want to Inhibit if you are using the Gear channel for a mix. The Flap Lever and the Aux3 lever should be inhibited, as well. Turn Trim Off for the Flaps, as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
grizzly59

removed as not to cause confusion.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Has you 11x been back to Horizon for the programming error fix in regard to the land/flap functions?

DR
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
grizzly59

There is no fix as of now. Do the programming change suggested and it is OK. Using Normal wing type works just fine.

Sorry this is a 9503 thread. Had a brain F- -T I guess.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Hoosier06

[size=3]Problem Using Flaperon for Wing Type
It has been standard practice with JR radios (9305/9503) in the past to set the FLAP Switch to INH. This is the way I have been doing it with the 11X. If you do this, when you use the trim on the Aileron Channel, only the right aileron moves. Since most of the time you only trim using these buttons while flying, you may never notice it. But it will take much more trim to get the plane flying level, and will likely introduce some weird tracking issues.
Do this right away. In the SYSTEM LIST navigate to the ''DEVICE SELECT'' Function and open it. On the second line is the FLAP Channel scroll over to the far right column [out] and select the INH, change it to say SYS. Next go to the FUNCTION LIST navigate to the''FLAP SYSTEM'' Function and select it. You will be propted to ''ALL SEVOS HOLD'', select NO. You will be shown a screen with lots of values. All values in this screen should be set to 0%. In my radio all of them default to 0% except ''LAND:'' it is at 100%, and is deadly. Make sure you change this value to read ''LAND: 0%''. Everything should work fine on the plane after this is done.
For this reason I am using Normal as wing type and mating with flaperon.
I have two JR XP9303 transmitters, one on 72Mhz and one with a Spektrum module. I use Flapperon Wing Type frequently, on my aerobatic planes. I have never heard that the Aileron Trim does not work for the Slave channel (Flap) and I have never noticed that the Aileron Trim only affects the Aileron channel and not the Slave channel.

I will check it out with one of my aircraft to confirm.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
BuschBarber

Hosier06

I have an H9 Carden 89" Yak with dual ailerons set up with the Flapperon Wing Type. The Right Aileron servo is connected to the Aileron channel and the Left Aileron servo is connected to the Flap (Aux1) channel, just as I outlined previously.

In the System Menu/Device Select, the Flap Trim is set to Off and the Flap is set to INH.

Both Ailerons work as they are supposed to and the Aileron Trim moves both Ailerons equally.

The 9503 is very much like the 9303 as far as the Flapperon Wing Type. I do not have an 11X to verify if it behaves as you have described, but for this OP, the Flapperon Wing Type should work fine.

I will check with my fellow club members, who have the 11X, to see if their Aileron Trim does not apply to both Ailerons when the Flapperon Wing Type has been selected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.