Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Trying to decide on a radio...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Sh1mmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on a radio...

Hey fellas,

Well, I am looking for a new radio and looking at the Futaba 7C, Hitec Optic 6 and Sanwa/Airtronics RDS8000.

If I go the Futaba, I will be trying to get a TX only and most likely use the cheaper RX that hobbyking has.
Unless I can get a good deal on a 2.4 Optic 6, I will most likely try and find a 72mhz one and grab the FYSky module/receivers.
I like the RDS8000, seems to be the best value but missing a couple of options/features from what I understand and the receivers are expensive.

I am only just getting into planes and later on hopefully a heli and later on when I have a bit more money to throw around and understand more I will be going to a better radio, probably a Hitec Aurora 9 (although I am kinda a Sanwa fan and the SD10G seems quite good value also).

At the moment I think the Optic 6 would be more than enough for my needs and has a good feature set and if I manage to get a 2.4 I suppose I could still use those receivers on the Aurora 9.

I would like to know anyones opinions on what I should be looking for, other models to look at and whatnot.
I would just like to point out that I am not the biggest fan of Spektrum (I don't hate them... I just don't like them).
Obviously I am trying to get a half decent radio for around or less than $200 with cheap receivers, and the Hitec seems to suit these needs best I think.

Cheers.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trying to decide on a radio...

I think your best bet is to look at all the info that available here on RCU and other places and then deside for your self. I will say I have a Optic 6 and its a nice radio
and now you can ge it with 2.4 so I think it would be a good choice, Also Futaba makes a nice radio but they tend to be on the pricey side I have the 9C and its a
nice radio. IMO Airtronics would be a good way to go also I do have one and there are quite a few at my field.

Due to all the neg stuff I have heard about Spektrum if I was in the market todayI would pass on them, I will say the Spektrum DX7 was a very popular radio at myfield
when they first came out about 3yr's ago and there are a few still being used but not as many as before.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sh1mmy Hey fellas, Well, I am looking for a new radio and looking at the Futaba 7C, Hitec Optic 6 and Sanwa/Airtronics RDS8000. If I go the Futaba, I will be trying to get a TX only and most likely use the cheaper RX that hobbyking has. Unless I can get a good deal on a 2.4 Optic 6, I will most likely try and find a 72mhz one and grab the FYSky module/receivers. I like the RDS8000, seems to be the best value but missing a couple of options/features from what I understand and the receivers are expensive. I am only just getting into planes and later on hopefully a heli and later on when I have a bit more money to throw around and understand more I will be going to a better radio, probably a Hitec Aurora 9 (although I am kinda a Sanwa fan and the SD10G seems quite good value also). At the moment I think the Optic 6 would be more than enough for my needs and has a good feature set and if I manage to get a 2.4 I suppose I could still use those receivers on the Aurora 9. I would like to know anyones opinions on what I should be looking for, other models to look at and whatnot. I would just like to point out that I am not the biggest fan of Spektrum (I don't hate them... I just don't like them). Obviously I am trying to get a half decent radio for around or less than $200 with cheap receivers, and the Hitec seems to suit these needs best I think. Cheers.
The Optic 6 has more features than any other in it's class. Easily converted to any frequency and on 2.4 ghz enjoys the Hitec telemetry features with built in receiver low voltage warning and other add-ons. refer:

Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Addendums, Tutorial & Comparison Charts

The Optic 6 was used in
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation Video #1 = Normal Mode, Video #2 = Scan Mode.
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation -Video #3 (Answers to questions raised in above Videos 1 & 2., post #2933 page 296 also refers.)
refer sections on the Optima Rx, Spectra Pro module and Telemetry at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

(for those who do not worry about warranty and have a techo bent, refer Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links for more details, e.g. how to double memory from 8 to 16 models etc)

Regards
Alan T.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sh1mmy

Hey fellas,

Well, I am looking for a new radio and looking at the Futaba 7C, Hitec Optic 6 and Sanwa/Airtronics RDS8000.

If I go the Futaba, I will be trying to get a TX only and most likely use the cheaper RX that hobbyking has.
Unless I can get a good deal on a 2.4 Optic 6, I will most likely try and find a 72mhz one and grab the FYSky module/receivers.
I like the RDS8000, seems to be the best value but missing a couple of options/features from what I understand and the receivers are expensive.

I am only just getting into planes and later on hopefully a heli and later on when I have a bit more money to throw around and understand more I will be going to a better radio, probably a Hitec Aurora 9 (although I am kinda a Sanwa fan and the SD10G seems quite good value also).

At the moment I think the Optic 6 would be more than enough for my needs and has a good feature set and if I manage to get a 2.4 I suppose I could still use those receivers on the Aurora 9.

I would like to know anyones opinions on what I should be looking for, other models to look at and whatnot.
I would just like to point out that I am not the biggest fan of Spektrum (I don't hate them... I just don't like them).
Obviously I am trying to get a half decent radio for around or less than $200 with cheap receivers, and the Hitec seems to suit these needs best I think.

Cheers.
I'm surprised to hear you say you think the Sanwa receivers are expensive; I was originally attracted to the RDS8000 because the extra receivers were significantly less expensive than Spektrum or Futaba. I've been flying Sanwa 2.4Ghz radios for two and a half years now, and I'm completely happy with my two RDS8000s and my SD-10g flying both helicopters and airplanes.

I think the Hitec 2.4Ghz radios are also a strong value. The Optic 6 2.4Ghz radio system is very aggressively priced, and I really like the ergonomics of the transmitter. I also own a Futaba 7C for 72Mhz FM, and it's been a great radio system over the years. All three of the radio systems you're considering are good, solid choices. Buy whichever appeals to you most, you can't pick a bad radio given your choices.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 AM
Sh1mmy

Well, Sanwa receivers are far cheaper than Futaba and Spektrum, I just meant that there isn't a cheaper option, Futaba and Spektrum both have the HK ones.
Although, I am really only after the cheaper receivers for the cheaper and smaller models I (hopefully) will end up getting/flying, anything expensive or large I will most likely buy the real deal.

I do have an MX 3X pistol radio that I got a while ago (just when they were released), it is a great radio but the FHSS-3 receivers are not cheap (although cheaper than Futaba).

It is nice to hear that I could not go wrong with any of my choices.
The Optic 6 is reaching out to me a bit more though, although, I can't deny the value for money of the RDS8000.

I really do like the 7C but I would like the option to run dual aileron servos though.
How much of a draw back is the expo/DR on the RDS8000?

The module I was on about before is the FRSky, after reading and watching a few reviews it looks pretty impressive.

I might also go to the local club and see what is used there, although last time I was there, it seemed most were still using FM and a few on 2.4.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate them.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sh1mmy

I really do like the 7C but I would like the option to run dual aileron servos though.
How much of a draw back is the expo/DR on the RDS8000?
You can run dual aileron and dual elevator servos on the 7C Fasst system.

Bruce
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I like my rds 8000 so much that I just bought a 5 ch reciever to put in my second model for that transmitter.  49 bucks for the second reciever.  My transmitter is 1 yr old so I am not sure but I think I paid around 160.  Check these out.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/airtronicsreductions
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
katarinaconnors

Hey guys

Discovered how to get a great radio going for next to nothing .... I used a DX 6 that I bought years ago when they first appeared and didn't use anymore... I opened it up and put a FrSky diy module in it ($18) and so simple. There are three wires going to the rf board. The same three that you hook to the DIY module. Only three wires so no confusion and dirt simple.. Now I have all the RXs I want at less than 20 bucks, with great range, and all channel failsafe... Added a 1 watt amp from Range Video and now I got all the range I can ever need with my FPV planes... These little transmitter are almost give aways because they won't go dsm2 which of course in this case is moot! Don't have 75 bucks in the whole thing with two Rxs and these are nice radios not cheap feeling like the 6i... I can still use it for a buddy box if I need to.

Sure it is simple with most of the radios but I almost died when I pulled off the back and there was three wire total going to the rf board. Red, black and other... Red pos, black ground and data , even a girl can do it...

Katarina