Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FAAST vs Spektrum/JR Spread Spectrum

Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
chipmunkflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FAAST vs Spektrum/JR Spread Spectrum

I'm looking to move to 2.4 ghz, and I've always been loyal to Futaba, but with the new Spektrum radio offering Telemetry, it is tempting to jump to that. I want to either get the Futaba 10C, or the new Spektrum 8 Channel, which won't be available until late November 2010. I've heard all kinds of rumors that the Spektrum radios have some kind of glitch problem, which may not be true at all.... but I really do love Futaba stuff, plus all my servos are futaba... which will work with no modifications or any problem converting. I don't really care about "Bind 'n' Fly, since I fly mostly big airplanes, and I love to build anyway. Any opinions?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
MrCoffeeMax

Default RE: Futaba FAAST vs Spektrum/JR Spread Spectrum

Telemetry is the newest doo-dad to come along. It sounds good on the surface, but I can't help wondering how often I would be taking my eyes off of my airplane to look at my transmitter. That's not to mention the few seconds involved in actually reading and comprehending the information you are looking at (ok, got it... Now, where did my airplane go?)

And while the Spek problems seem to have diminished, it is mostly due to using huge receiver batteries. And there binding process borders on the ridiculous.

If you're a Futaba user, go with the 10C. The FASST system is SO much easier to set up and use and it works flawlessly.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: chipmunkflyer

I want to either get the Futaba 10C, or the new Spektrum 8 Channel, which won't be available until late November 2010.
Why not consider Hitec Aurora 9ch? I just wish this was an option "back when" I bought Spektrum[:@]
V.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at the telemetry unit available from Hobby King.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...&ParentCat=172

It does everything the built in units do and works with any radio. I currently use the version 1 model which only reads battery voltage of LiPo packs in my electric planes. I didn't want to risk the expensive 6S packs by running voltages too low or loose a pack due to a cell or two suddenly going way out of balance under load.

Works perfectly, display is large enough for a quick glance (each cell is a horizontal bar plus numeric voltage) and has a low voltage alarm. Works with any number of cells up to 6. I mounted it to an antenna stub on my Futaba 12FG when using the 2.4 FASST module or it can clip to the antenna when using 72mhz.

I do find it tricky to monitor while flying and only do so in certain flight modes. At our site most guys fly with a spotter so they will monitor the telemetry data.

It is nice to know certain aspects of the aircrafts performance but I think more than one or two different readouts is cumbersome and risky. I think most owners will never use it if built into the radio but the marketing hype does change minds.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

What Futaba Model Radio do you presently have?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: MrCoffeeMax
Telemetry is the newest doo-dad to come along. It sounds good on the surface, but I can't help wondering how often I would be taking my eyes off of my airplane to look at my transmitter. That's not to mention the few seconds involved in actually reading and comprehending the information you are looking at (ok, got it... Now, where did my airplane go?)

And while the Spek problems seem to have diminished, it is mostly due to using huge receiver batteries. And there binding process borders on the ridiculous.

If you're a Futaba user, go with the 10C. The FASST system is SO much easier to set up and use and it works flawlessly.
You don't necessarily have to take your eyes off your plane to benefit from telemetry data. Not only can the data be downloaded to a PC for post-flight review, but you can set a low-voltage alarm on the Aurora to verbally warn you when RX voltage drops below a value you set. I might add that with the Aurora, the RX or flight pack voltage is built-in and require no additional purchases.

Hitec is also releasing a Telemetry Voice Announcing System that clips onto your radio.
[link=http://Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System]Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System[/link]

I can put in a good word for the Aurora as I really love mine. Also been a long time JR/Spetrum user (DX7, X9303, and many older 72mHz versions) with no issues. I have never owned any Futaba gear, but I believe they also build top-notch stuff and I've heard good things about the 10C.

Not trying to argue brands as I think the top three all make good stuff. And actually, I agree with you to an extent that some of the telemetry stuff is gimmicky. However, in-flight RX voltage, RPM and temp monitoring can be very useful. Just wanted to present all the facts and/or another point of view on the telemetry feature.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Look at the telemetry unit available from Hobby King.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...&ParentCat=172

It does everything the built in units do and works with any radio. I currently use the version 1 model which only reads battery voltage of LiPo packs in my electric planes. I didn't want to risk the expensive 6S packs by running voltages too low or loose a pack due to a cell or two suddenly going way out of balance under load.

Works perfectly, display is large enough for a quick glance (each cell is a horizontal bar plus numeric voltage) and has a low voltage alarm. Works with any number of cells up to 6. I mounted it to an antenna stub on my Futaba 12FG when using the 2.4 FASST module or it can clip to the antenna when using 72mhz.

I do find it tricky to monitor while flying and only do so in certain flight modes. At our site most guys fly with a spotter so they will monitor the telemetry data.

It is nice to know certain aspects of the aircrafts performance but I think more than one or two different readouts is cumbersome and risky. I think most owners will never use it if built into the radio but the marketing hype does change minds.
So do you have the Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System Temp/Amp add-on for each model you are interested in for the readings and have the data sent to the Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System (Volt/Amp/Temp/mAh) V2?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

So do you have the Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System Temp/Amp add-on for each model you are interested in for the readings and have the data sent to the Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System (Volt/Amp/Temp/mAh) V2?
I have version 1 which transmits battey voltage only. Bought it 6-8 months ago.

Currently I move the onboard transmitter from plane to plane when installing the LiPo, not really a big deal to do so as the hatches are open and you are handling battery packs anyway. I do plan to order another transmitter and several of the new flexible antennas in the future.

Version 1 does not support the other features and I'm not really interested in those readings at this time. I'm pretty careful with my electric setups to minimize potential temp and Amp overloads. Monitoring battery voltages can tell you quickly if something is awry. The numerical read out per cell is pretty sensitive so a rapid dip in voltage anywhere indicates it is time to power off, land and check things out.

The Aurora's built in Tx/Rx voltage monitor is something I envy and would like to see that in all radios as many crashes are due to those very battery packs.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Telemetry is only a small part of the DX8s capabilities. How about changing servo speed up to 30 seconds for retracts and flaps. Vibrator for the timer where you can't hear the beeper for other background noise. Set timer to shut off at low throttle for electrics. Adjustable trim resolution. And it goes on and on. Makes a dinosaur of my old reliable DX7.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:17 PM
JIMF14D

For the battery TM you don't have to monitor the screen on Hitec A9. You can select a low voltage level of each plane and the system will be if you hit the level. For me it has be fast enough in reponding to catch transient voltage drops as you go to fulll throws on servos or lots of rudder in knife edge.

Not a do-dad to me but a very useful function especially on EP models.
Jim D
Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
walkermsg

I put the Quanum telemetry on my Telemaster Senior, I couldn't decide where to put the temp sensor, battery, ESC, Motor ? Also the current monitoring for $19.00 worried some people. They thought it was so cheap it would probably fail. I have worked many years with solid state devices the large devices usually short circuit when they fail, I found they seldom open up, meaning if the Amp monitoring portion failed you would still have full battery power to continue flying. I doubt the circuit would open causing a loss of power.It's nice having a voltage monitoring system along with current reading and temperature of anything in the power circuit.I fly much further out now seeing exactly how much power I have left. Great for making movies. I may put a RTL GPS module on the plane to enable it to return to launch site if receiver signal fails. I also have the FMS stabilization system on board to steady flight for better photos. Maybe this is too much but what the heck. So far it all works great....
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
StevL

ORIGINAL: chipmunkflyer

I'm looking to move to 2.4 ghz, and I've always been loyal to Futaba, but with the new Spektrum radio offering Telemetry, it is tempting to jump to that. I want to either get the Futaba 10C, or the new Spektrum 8 Channel, which won't be available until late November 2010.
If you like the telemetry of the DX8 and now with the annoucement of DSMX it looks like you have your winner!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
walkermsg

Some of the other flyers claim having all the extras is cheating. If anything makes flying safer, more fun and easier I don't see it that as cheating. Usually the guys that claim I am cheating with all the elctronics crash pretty often. To Gord "I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmello and in the moring my pillow was gone, oh well !
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: walkermsg

Some of the other flyers claim having all the extras is cheating. If anything makes flying safer, more fun and easier I don't see it that as cheating. Usually the guys that claim I am cheating with all the electronics crash pretty often. To Gord ''I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmello and in the moring my pillow was gone, oh well !
Don't worry about those guy's They got looked at with distain when they brought their fancy new proportional radios to the field. Everyone knows real pilots fly escapements
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Silent-AV8R

If thinking of Futaba I would highly recommend the 8FG over the 10C. It is actually a 14-channel radio and is able to be updated over the Internet. The 10C is almost a legacy radio. It was there to fill the gap for a short time. When Futaba telemetry is released, it will be easier to do with the 8FG since it will likely require a software update, which will require sending the 10C in to be done.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: walkermsg

Some of the other flyers claim having all the extras is cheating. If anything makes flying safer, more fun and easier I don't see it that as cheating. Usually the guys that claim I am cheating with all the electronics crash pretty often. To Gord ''I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmello and in the moring my pillow was gone, oh well !
Don't worry about those guy's They got looked at with distain when they brought their fancy new proportional radios to the field. Everyone knows real pilots fly escapements
I remember those glorious days.

I still have one of these escapements.

It made the free fliers jealous. In the early days we had to build our own radios as we could not afford any commercial rigs that were very expensive.

Zor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22306.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1597920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58842.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1597921  
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM
triggerpuller03

I have ben using spectrum since I got into this hobby, about 3 years now. I have a lot of problems with spectrum, brown out's and loss of communication from the transmitter to the receiver. There are also some guys at the field that have had the same problem. It might be the cell phone towers or who knows what. I purchased the Talor Craft bind and fly it comes with a spectrum receiver I was at the field this last Saturday and experienced a loss of communication from the radio to the receiver. And yes the batteries were fully charged as well as the radio. My overall experience with spectrum has not been good. I have purchased a Futba 10c radio. And I would not recommend spectrum radios to anyone. Just my opinion and first hand experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

I am a long-time Futaba user (4 channel Attack, 9C) and for Christmas purchased a Futaba 12FG (2.4). Being Futaba, I have confidence in the radio link, and it offers very powerful programming. I will say that some of the more complex programming is not easy to figure out from the manual, but the Futaba representatives are very active on the Futaba manufacturer forum and are pretty quick to answer questions. There are also many other users who can help out and I also found some answers to questions by doing some simple Internet searches.

It would be nice to have telemetry, particularly for battery voltage and engine temperature, but there are third party systems available that will continue to evolve and improve over time, so it might actually be better in the long run to not have that built into the radio.

Good luck in your decision.

-Ed B.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Tower called today, after what seems like years of being "backordered" on the HTS Voice Announcer Module are finally in stock..!! Price dropped from $59.95 to $44.95, mine is on its way..!!Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: triggerpuller03

I have ben using spectrum since I got into this hobby, about 3 years now. I have a lot of problems with spectrum, brown out's and loss of communication from the transmitter to the receiver. There are also some guys at the field that have had the same problem. It might be the cell phone towers or who knows what. I purchased the Talor Craft bind and fly it comes with a spectrum receiver I was at the field this last Saturday and experienced a loss of communication from the radio to the receiver. And yes the batteries were fully charged as well as the radio. My overall experience with spectrum has not been good. I have purchased a Futba 10c radio. And I would not recommend spectrum radios to anyone. Just my opinion and first hand experience.
triggerpuller03,

Brown outs are not really the fault of the Spectrum receiver.
It is due to the minimum operating voltage dropping below the minimum needed. I think that is 3.5 volts.

The system in the model must be able to supply the needed current load while maintaining more that 3.5 volts.

All installations need a voltage and current availibility higher than a certain minimum.

I do not have the data for Futaba receivers but there is for sure a minimum that the voltage should never go below. Perhaps you can tell us what that minimum voltage is for Futaba.

Remains to be seen now what will happen with the Futaba rig.

Please keep us posted as you gain experience with your new rig.

The fact that many of your friendsmay not have that kind of problem may simply mean that they are setup with proper voltage and current capability.

Regards from Zor.