Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking to upgrade my old futaba radio system.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Lokihaus
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade my old futaba radio system.

I've been in and out of the RC hobbie since I was like 10... but as far as new radio technology, I'm not down with the new stuff. So I'm calling on the intelligent minds of the RC Universe forums to help me out. My 7 channel Futaba FM radio is, I'd say... 15 years old. I'm looking to upgrade to those fancy GHz radios with internal mixing and all that fun jazz. I'm wanting to stay within the Futaba family so all my servos will migrate over.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT8&P=0]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT8&P=0[/link]

That's the first one I came to. I'm not looking to keep 7 channels, as I've actually still never used channels 5,6 or 7 on my current system! But of course keeping the option open for flaps and gear is always nice.

I fly almost everything. from; park flyers, 3D planes, micro warbirds to large scale. I'm worried the Rx won't fit in my Cox Micro warbirds. And will my old Rx's now be unusable?

I plan on taking my time and doing my research on this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help on this! Pics for clicks!

-michael
Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Looking to upgrade my old futaba radio system.

I went to Futaba's 2.4G system about 2 1/2 years ago. First the 6EX, then the 7C, and just recently their 8FG. The 6EX is a good TX. Computer-wise its on the low end, but not nearly as daunting as the 8FG computer would be to a new user. The 7C is in between.

I thought the 600 mah TX battery was too small. Went to a NoBS 1500 mah for both the 6EX and 7C quickly. The 8FG comes with a 1700 mah battery. Also went to a minimum of 1500 mah or so for the RXs, even for 46 size sport planes.

Futaba's RXs seem to be more expensive than the competitors.

The parkflier receiver is small and light and operates on 7V or so (2 cell LiPo). This battery makes it a little heavy for indoor fliers like the Ultra Micros (Park Zone T-28, P-51, etc that use 1 cell LiPo's). It should be just fine for larger parkfliers.

Regardless of the brand, it does not take long to appreciate the computer radio capabilities.

Brian
Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
crossman

If you have been using the Futaba 7ch receiver with your old radio, you will find the new receivers to be much smaller than you are used to. That radio comes with the 617 receiver, which is about 1/2 the size of a Futaba FM reciever.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
aghost

Thought of a couple of other items: The 2.4G systems have a simple procedure to bind the Rx to a Tx. Once bound, my Futaba's have never lost the bind. Tx/Rx connection has been rock solid (parkfliers through GS Warbirds, glow, gas, and small electric).

I also have a Spektrum DX6i (equivalent to Futaba 6EX) to fly the PZ Ultra Micro Bind N Fly (BNF) planes. I like the Futaba better, but they don't cover this particular niche of flying.

Brian
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
pabrokenprop
My Feedback: (4)

if your flying big (9ch) aircraft and small (4-5ch) aircraft, JR and Spektrum are what you should look into. some of futabas 2.4 radios (higher channels) limit you to what rx's you can use or bind to. i have the JR 9503 and can im able to bind to 4ch rx's to 9ch with out going into my radio to change any settings. I spent all winter weighing the pros and conns of a radio and wound up with JR. im very pleased with its performance. any other questions feel free to email or pm me.

regards
Nick
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
pilotpete2

Sorry Nick, please don't post inaccurate information when you don't know what you're talking about[]
First, all of Futabas upper end radios, starting with the 8FG can use every FASST air receiver that has ever been made, from the little 4 channel park flier receiver, all the way up. True, the six and seven channel radio systems cannot use the 8 channel and up receivers, but who really cares.
JR has introduced its own frequency hopping system, for markets where they are not distributed by Horizon Hobbies, I wonder why they are moving away from DSM2[:-]
The only lockout problems we see at our field are DSM2, and we're not talking about inadequate receiver batteries. The FASST, Airtronics and Hitec users have been trouble free. The Airtronics systems have started to catch on at our field. The new SD6-G that goes for the price of a DX6i. A radio at that price that can support dual ailerons and elevators simultaneously.[8D]
Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 05:28 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

You'll like the Futaba Mike, it'll do it all. I have an 8UHP and a 9CHPS and 72 Mhz synth, 2.4 Fasst and 2.4 Spektrum modules for them. Very capable.
I'd suggest whichever way you go, get a module-type transmitter. I didn't want to switch all my planes to 2.4, so the module system let me fly all my 72 Mhz while easing into 2.4.

What bird is that you're in? H10-80's? [8D]
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
pilotpete2

Am In losing it, or what.
I hope this is just a case of the post being deleted that I was responding to[]
I certainly was not directed at aghost.
Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I currently own a 6EX, a 7C and a 10C, all in 2.4. My 10C was an early one, and has the module. To get a Futaba Tx with a module NEW, you'd have to go to a 10C FM, then add the 2.4 module. That's around $730.....

The 6EX is a capable little Tx, but is has a very toy-like feel to it. It is very light, and the stick assemblies are inferior to the mid-level Futabas. The 7C is much more robust, and has the better stick assemblies, as well as more programming - for $60 more. Given how long you kept the last one, that's the one I'd recommend as a minimum.

Fly your old stuff with the old Tx, or get a http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXRXF3**&P=SM for them. Once I tried 2.4, I sold off or gave away all my 72mHz stuff.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
aghost

Pete: not a problem. I never thought it was.

Brian (aghost)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I hope this is just a case of the post being deleted that I was responding to[]
I certainly was not directed at aghost.
Pete
I was surprised too about your #5 post, was wondering who was "Nick"[8D]
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM
eddieC

Yup, pretty much...

I agree on the 7, or 8FG. The telemetry stuff on Hitec & Airtronics is pretty cool for us gadgetheads.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
pilotpete2

Ow, that's cold, but not far off the mark
I'm biased to the 8FG. For most sport fliers it's more radio than you'll ever need, and it looks like it is hardware ready for the Futaba telemetry, when that's released, with just a software update to the radio. Any radio that the user can update through a SD, or compact flash card has a big advantage. All my model setups on my 8FG are backed up to my computer, if my radio were to be destroyed accidentally[], I would be back in business as soon as I got a replacement 8FG.
Best wishes to all for a Happy Thanksgiving!
Pete
Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Lokihaus

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone! Much appreciated. The first pic is a Speedwing 250 and the lower pic I'm in the back seat of P51-C (Colling's Foundation).
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 7C is a fantastic radio for most sport pilots' needs.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM
eddieC

and the lower pic I'm in the back seat of P51-C (Colling's Foundation).
I know a couple guys who fly their -24 & -25. Nice group. The 51's my dream plane, you lucky dog!

The 'Pretty much' quip had a couple , but they dropped for some reason. Jk!

Does the 8FG have an SD card? That's great!

FlyFalcons, how do you find time away from the real site?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
pilotpete2

OH man, how I'd love a ride in the P51[8D]
Eddie, the 8FG uses an SD card (up to 2G) for software updates and for additional model memory. With a 2G card you can have something like over 3700 model memories[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Also, Futaba provides a free file utility via download, where you can store your setup files on your computer, but not manipulate the settings though.
Pete
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Michael,

You do know that your servos will work with other brand RXs if you trim the tab off of them. I bought an Airtronics SD10-G when it hit the market and still used all my Futaba servos.

The Airtronics stuff is certainly worth a look (SD-6G or SD-10G) and their RXs are a little less than the Futaba RXs.

Pete
Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

What I suggest you do is read the manuels on each radio. It's really not the number of channels or the numbers of planes the radio will hold, its the software in the radio that counts. The higher end radio have more mixes. Look at the 10C or 12FG and see how much more computer you get. It's more important then channel count.
I only have three planes, they all use 10 or more servos. thats why I want a high end radio. Dennis
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FlyFalcons, how do you find time away from the real site?
Been snowed in this week. [8D]
Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Lokihaus

ORIGINAL: petec
Michael,

You do know that your servos will work with other brand RXs if you trim the tab off of them.
Pete
Yeah, I've done that before... I was wanting to stay in the Futaba family because it's always been a great reliable product and I have like 4 receivers of Futaba's.

This is me and my father, before his ride in the P-51C. I'm so blessed to have great parents. (sorry, turning this thread into, giving thanks, thread =)

Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

If I am reading this correctly you have 4 72mHz Futaba RXs which won't work with a 2.4gHz TX unless you get one that is module based so you can swap back and forth. If you already have Futaba 2.4gHz RXs then please disregard my suggestion.

My dad (no longer with us) was an aircraft mechanic in the Navy during WW II and used to tell all kinds of stories about the warbirds. I am envious that you and your dad had a chance to share such an experience.