Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Optic 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitec Optic 6

There are some great promotions right now on the Optic 6, and I am hoping prior buyers are willing to express their views of this system. I am a bit apprehensive of getting into 2.4 Ghz RC systems and am wondering if fliers out there have done range tests or other solid technical evaluations. Also... How is the reliability of Hitec systems and post-sales support? I've had 20 years of RC Flying with no radio problems at all except for some bad pots and want to keep it that way. Found some old posts when these radios came out and looking for the recent bead on the Optic 6. All advice appreciated.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Optic 6

HI;I sure wouldn't be concerned about there equip.Have had several HItec radios over the years and all worked good.Bought the Optic 6 on one of those deals that have been offered and am pleased with it.I use Futaba 9Cs have 2 of them and they have more finctions I think and I am more famialar with them but do th there high cost of recs etc i went to the Optic 6.Don't like the lack of individual Dual rate for the rudder elevater.Love that throttle cut button.DOn't think you can go wrong with it is very lite easy to hold etc. and the receivers are more reasonably priced than FUtaba!!Just a nice simple radio! Good FLying!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot tell you about the Optic 6 but can help with Hitec, 2.4GHZ and support. I fly Hitec Aurora 9 since March of this year. RF link range with 6 and 7 channel Rx is flawless as far as I can see a .70 size model and several electrics including Habu, GP Sportster EP, Kyosho PT-17 70 4 stroke bipe, Seagull 3D 70 4 stroke Harrier and 3D Hobbys Edge 41 EP. RX set up and binding are easy. Ihave hundreds of flights on A9 system and seven different Rxs over this summer with no problems.

You can get full range all attitude Rx performace with one Rx and avoid the cost and complexity of the satellite Rx that are need by some brands. Hitec 2.4 RXs are the lowest cost units Ihave seen for 6 and 7 channels.

I do not know if Optic shows RX battery voltage from downlink TM as does Aurora 9.

I have used Hitec Eclipse 7 TX and 72 MHZ systems for 10 years with no problems. I have two of those Txs. One is now converted to 2.4GHz using the Hitec "promotional module" for $20.

Works just as good as A9. Lots of old wives tales of problems with 2.4 but my experience with Hitec says it is flawless. Hitec TXs are easy to set up and manuals show you how to do functions not just how to push buttons. If you want to understand differential ailerons or flaperons, the Hitec manuals are the best in explaining all of the stuff unless you are already an expert.

Hitec throttle lock function is great safety device.

Hitec service is great. You can get lots of info here and factory support will respond in a day or two. Repairs are low cost. For example, after 10 years the handle fell out of my Hitec 7 TX. Cost to replace rear cover is $15!

If you can afford it, buy an Aurora 9. But you won't got wrong with any version of Hitec 2.4 Systems.

See Tom's RC online for very good prices on Hitec stuff.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thailazer There are some great promotions right now on the Optic 6, and I am hoping prior buyers are willing to express their views of this system. I am a bit apprehensive of getting into 2.4 Ghz RC systems and am wondering if fliers out there have done range tests or other solid technical evaluations. Also... How is the reliability of Hitec systems and post-sales support? I've had 20 years of RC Flying with no radio problems at all except for some bad pots and want to keep it that way. Found some old posts when these radios came out and looking for the recent bead on the Optic 6. All advice appreciated.
Have been using the Optic 6 since first released, say 6 years ago, intechanging three fixed frequency modules and now also with the 2.4Ghz module.<dt>Always removing battery to fast/field charge, recently found one battery pin had become a tad loose and was quickly fixed with touch of a soldering iron. Still considered to have more features than any otherin it's class and the best value for the $.
Optic 6 & Optic Sport Comparison Chart - attached - details the differences between the two Transmitters. The chart highlights that there Is No Separate Control Knob for Channel 6 on Optic Sport. Channel 6 is simply programmed/pre-mixed with different flight modes/conditions.

Optic 6 - Manual
Optic 6 Tutorial - attached is a great help to those new to anycomputer transmitter.
Optic Sport 2.4GHz - Manual
Optic Sport - Set Dual Aileron & Dual Elevator Servos
Much more information on the 2.4Ghz system and telemetry available with either Optic models at:
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features
also try using "Optic" in the search engine [cntrl+ F] at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

attached .pdf are not displaying names?
- Optic 6FM&Sport Comparison
- Optic 6 Flap Travel
- Optic 6 Tutorial
- Optic 6 Timer_Set addendum
- Optic 6 SPAddendum re shift.
</dt>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Om33287.pdf (554.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great information all! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the Optic 6 for about 4 years with the Spectra module that allows you to select 72 mhz channels. I did have a problem with the battery attachment pin after a couple of years which they fixed for free even though it was out of warranty. Other than that, it works flawlessly, and I have the module in and out all the time to change frequencies.

When I needed a 2.4 system I went to Airtronics 8000 because Hitec didn't have one on the market. I wish I had waited, because I'm very accustomed to the Hitec programming and find it easy, but I've had some trouble learning all over again for the Airtronics.

Jim