Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8FGA or Airtronics 10SD

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Rainbow1
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8FGA or Airtronics 10SD

Futaba 8FGA or Airtronics 10SD which radio system would you choose? The Pros and Cons
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 AM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: Futaba 8FGA or Airtronics 10SD

Well, By definition I'm biased, but some things to look at. The SD10G just plain out has more features. Besides the obvious of 10ch, all of the channels are assignable. This means you can use a simple inexpensive 5ch rx and still support dual Aileron or dual elevator without a Y harness since you can assign that 5th ch to whatever you want.

The SD10G supports Safety Link when you're using FHSS-3 rx's (the 10ch and the new 6 and 8ch rx's). This prevents accidently having the wrong model selected (Similar to JR's Model Match).

Curves... the SD10 has all 9pt curves throughout. All the custom mixes have 9pt curves. All the heli functions are 9pt curves. I beleive the 8Fg has 5pt curves where it has curves.

Reciever prices. Most of the Airtronics Rx's are under $100. 5ch - $49, 6ch - $59, 7ch - $69 etc. Only the 10ch and the new FHSS-3 8ch are over $100. By contrast, most of the Futaba Rx's are over $100. So if you're going to be outfitting a fleet... that can add up quickly.

Again, features set wise, the SD10 has all 3 pos switches (all fully assignable, but so are the 8fg's), significantly more sophisticated Glider functionality if that's your thing, more stock aircraft mixes (so you don't use up the custom ones as quickly), Stick switches, etc.

Oh yeah... and the SD10G costs less.

Again, I'm biased. But the feature list is available for both. Just compare the items that are important to you now, add some insight into what you think will be important to you in the future and then make a decision.

BOTH systems are quality units and will serve you well. I just thing the Airtronics system gives you more features for less money, both now and going forward.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Rainbow1

Thanks Arch, I get your take on the SD10. Any more coniderations on either Radio sys.?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 PM
aydin3
My Feedback: (1)

I'm biased...I have the SD10-G. It is just about the easiest radio I have seen to program. It is awesome, feels good in my hands, looks ok, the Rx's are appearing to take advantage of the FHSS3-3 which is rgeat, but most of all it is a really good price for all of the benefits it gives. Suport is great as well.

Dave L

Old 11-28-2010, 03:37 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t8FG.Its a 10channel radio; 8proportional, 2switching.Upgradable software is a big plusIts S-Bus compatible opening up more than 10 channel operation. Most likely it will be compatible with Futaba's soon to be launched telemetry system. Add S-Bus to this and you will have one sophisticated piece of kitIts a doddle to program.All switches, trim buttons and sticks are assignable.Futaba means reliability. Only one choice for me.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Pippin

I know both radios very well. The Futaba is a nice little radio. But the SD-10 offers more features and the superior FHSS3 technology (Safety link, better latency, programmable Rx voltage warning). Also, you can update the SD-10 via USB. Actually, the software is perfect. Thus, no updates until now. Mostly, we have seen updates in radios that were pushed into the market too soon... Anyway. I like the small FG8 too. The problem is, if you put both radios on the table and look at them, you would think, hey, the SD-10 must be the radio for all planes whereas the Futaba 8Fg looks rather made for sport planes only. Even the screen (despite being illuminated) and the buttons of the FG8 are not on the same level neither. The SD-10 is more on a level with the Futaba 12FG than with the 8FG. Also, we now have three SD-10 FHSS3 receiver options. For the 8FG, I would consider the S.Bus and 6008HS as good options. The 6014 receiver looks a bit out of place for the small 8FG. The problem with S.Bus is that it might offer some advantages if using more than 10ch but included in the 8FG set you are forced to get the special connectors and servos this system requires just to use the 9th and 10th channel.

As already mentioned, you should take both radios in your own hands and check them out. If bought online, I would rather get the SD-10.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 PM
DougV

Pippin... it's not that perfect! http://www.airtronics.net/SD10GSB-11-17-2010

Doug.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Rainbow1

Well it seems that the Futaba and the Airtronics have great features. But I would like to have more input on the Futaba vs the Airtronics as I would like to purchase on in the near furture. Thanks for all the info
Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 PM
aydin3

ORIGINAL: DougV

Doug.
hmmm..compared to the amount of JR, Futaba and Spectrum problems I would say that a problem that affects a limited amount of radios is pretty near perfect
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Doug.
Wow...I recall when Futaba andother radio MFG had problems...People were wanting more info on the issue...Looks like Airtronics listened...

By serial number...Impressive...

From someone who works in the Electronic MFG Industry serving a number of different markets it appears that Airtronics takes their QA seriously. I don't recall any other Radio MFG being able to identify by serial number and offering a proactive plan to correct the issue....

Thanks for listening Airtronics!!!!

Larry Diamond
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
aydin3

ORIGINAL: LLD

Doug.
Wow...I recall when Futaba andother radio MFG had problems...People were wanting more info on the issue...Looks like Airtronics listened...

By serial number...Impressive...

From someone who works in the Electronic MFG Industry serving a number of different markets it appears that Airtronics takes their QA seriously. I don't recall any other Radio MFG being able to identify by serial number and offering a proactive plan to correct the issue....

Thanks for listening Airtronics!!!!

Larry Diamond

the REAL cool thing is that by showing us that, I can get my Tx checked out for free yup, mine is one of the ones recalled, BUT, even with this I am STILL 150% happier than I was with Futaba and MacGregor radios...thanks Doug

Dave L
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
DougV

I'm glad that I was able to help!

Doug.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
aydin3

I'm glad that I was able to help!

Doug.
me too, though reading the bulletin it is nothing to really worry about unless you fly somewhere with a lot of radios running...

DaveL

Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am an Airtronics user, and quite satisfied. Lots of bang for the buck. But an even more important consideration for me is the support. ATX has an 800 number that you can call with any programming or operational questions and the person who takes the calls is a highly experienced modeler who really can answer your questions. I haven't had to send anything back for service for some years, but in the few instances where it has been necessary the service has been quick and reasonably priced.

Speaking of service, I'm aware of a case where a modeler mailed his radio in for some work (crash damage, I think) and asked whether he could pick up the radio in person since he was going to be on job related travel in the LA area. Turns out he was in the military and the day he showed up to retrieve his radio he happened to be in uniform. Guess what ? Not charge on repairs ! Now that's the kind of policy that keeps me spending my money with Airtronics just to support the troops !

Futaba ? Lots of my friends use Futaba and are very happy.

Dick
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM
matt_xb8r
My Feedback: (8)

I've owned the 8FG for the last several months and have been very happy with it.  I found the programming a bit complex at first but after a little time it has become very user friendly for me.  The only thing I have to compare it to is the older Futaba's I've owned and the Spektrum DX7's I've had.  I do fly fairly simple planes and heli's that perhaps don't take advantage of the expanded capabilities of the 8FG so the 10SD would most likely be more radio than I would ever use.  I went with the Futaba simply because I've owned them previously and never had an issue with them.  I have fellow pilot friends that have JR, Spektrum, Futaba, and Airtronics.  Each has their own opinion as to why the own their radio.  I'm the only one here locally that uses the 8FG but no one I fly with has bought a new radio since its release.  The 8FG is a great radio in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 AM
EscapeFlyer

Ohh... an Airtronics makes Futaba look like a turtle- Very slow in comparasin.

I'm making the switch before the next flying season. I started on the Airtronics Vanguard system, now I'm going back to Airtronics.

Futaba has started to look cheap as well. Not an intrinsic reason to switch in-of-itsself, but just another point is all.

Brian
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM
telejojo

looks like Tower has dis. it who sells it? the Airtronics 10
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM
ArchNemesis

Best place to get the Airtronics equipment online is from www.hobbypeople.net
Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Slats!

Blah Blah, Blah, Both have more features than you may ever need. You really need to hold both of these radios as they both have VERY different feels.

Reality is the AT SD 10 may feel too large in you hands. I was all for the Futaba I went to buy it but when I held it I automatically ruled it out because it was just way too small and light. But that's me my buddy thinks the AT SD 10 is too big..
Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I fly Futaba 10c and 9c. My next radio will be an Airtronics SD-10. I have heard and read nothing but great reports on the SD-10. I used to fly Airtronics years ago but went to Futaba's 9c because it was 1/2 the price of the Stylus. Now the SD-10 is less expensive with more features and has the fastest reciever on the market. You should hold one in your hands before buying any radio to make sure it fits your hands well. Best of luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: DougV Pippin... it's not that perfect! http://www.airtronics.net/SD10GSB-11-17-2010
Doug.
Neither of the subject TX are "perfect"
<dt>Futaba - 8FG "Back Up error" - not cost effective to repair - Futaba replaces TX.(more than one reported instances).
Futaba - 8FG - Total loss of Programming (see post 1235 also)

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
</dt>
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Pippin

Tower still has the SD-10G:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZKS8&P=7

It 's set with 7ch Rx.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
petec

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little biased, but I sold all my Futaba and my much loved Multiplx for the SD-10G when it came out. I had gone to Toledo with every intention of buying a Futaba 12Z until I was given a demo on the SD-10G. It gave me everything I wanted and then some. I was spoiled by the Multiplex EVO in that EVERYTHING was assignable, I could update firmware and back up my models to my computer. The SD-10G offered me all of that although it felt fat in my hands but after the EVO everything felt fat but now it feels fine. The switches on the SD-10G are spaced so I can get my fingers between them and I can assign everything. There is a spring loaded switch that you can assign to increase or decrease mix if you want to make infilght mix changes...nice feature....

I couldn't be happier with my radio.

There is also a rather lengthy thread on the other rc forum about the SD-10G if you want to do a lot of reading.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: DougV Pippin... it's not that perfect! http://www.airtronics.net/SD10GSB-11-17-2010
Doug.
Neither of the subject TX are ''perfect''
http://<font color=''#22229c''>Futab...ces TX.</font> (more than one reported instances).

Alan T.
http://<font color=''#22229c''>Alan'...b Links</font>
Alan,

No radio is perfect, and that's including your radio of choice the Aurora 9.

Doug.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Latest news:  Futaba has a free software upgrade downloadable from their website to upgrade the 8FG to v3.0 that supports TWELVE proportional channels and 2 switched channels.  That's pretty astounding.  It also will drive the S.Bus and up to 18 channels! 

http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.