Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receivers and batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 AM
SA RCfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receivers and batteries

Guys, I know this is a stupid question but please do bear with me. I've always bough RTR products or allready assembled trucks etc. My question is this. Lets take my boats receiver as an example. Its an Aquacraft Mini Wildcat, sorry, I dont have the specs on the receiver. Does the receiver only receive the correct voltage even if you add a higher voltage pack to the boat?
I always read on advertizements "standerd pack is 7.2V. Upgrade pack is a 8.4V pack.' I don't seem to have that option with my boat. Does this mean the receiver will fail if i put in a bigger battery?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Receivers and batteries

The nominal voltage for a 2cell LiPo is 7.4v. A fully charged 2cell LiPo pack is 8.4v. A 6cell NiCad or NiMh pack is 7.2v. A 7cell NiCad or NiMh pack is 8.4v.

With electrics, an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) is used to control the motor. It either comes with an Internal Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) or you can buy an External BEC. The BEC splits the voltage, of your single battery pack, between the motor and the receiver. In most cases the receiver voltage is limited to 4.8v. Some External BEC's allow you to adjust the receiver voltage up or down. You need to check the specs on the ESC, BEC, and motor to see how much voltage and current they each are rated for. Some servos are not rated for 6v so you need to check the specs on them, as well.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM
SA RCfan

Default RE: Receivers and batteries

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could get the specs of the receiver etc. Seems the wildcat is not a popular boat. I get very little info on it on the web.
I did not even think of the servo's...
Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
brusyev

Originally Posted by SA RCfan
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could get the specs of the receiver etc. Seems the wildcat is not a popular boat. I get very little info on it on the web.
I did not even think of the servo's...
I am also getting the mini wildcat and trying to figure out if there us a way to incrase its running time. What would be the maximum battery this boat can take?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SA RCfan
Guys, I know this is a stupid question but please do bear with me.
I've always bough RTR products or allready assembled trucks etc. My question is this.
Lets take my boats receiver as an example. Its an Aquacraft Mini Wildcat, sorry, I dont have the specs on the receiver.
Does the receiver only receive the correct voltage even if you add a higher voltage pack to the boat?
I always read on advertizements "standerd pack is 7.2V. Upgrade pack is a 8.4V pack.'
I don't seem to have that option with my boat. Does this mean the receiver will fail if i put in a bigger battery?
Thanks
Part of the Great Planes/Hobbico group,
Strongly recommend ask their tech support direct:
. http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/techsupport/index.html

Those models are cheap rtr units using cheapest price systems for young beginners market
and are generally not designed for upgrade or higher than spec voltages.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links