Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12 FG Dummies Guide

Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM
georgewaldrop
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 12 FG Dummies Guide

I believe the 8FG "manual" by Malcom Holt is available in a thread on RCG...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 AM
telejojo

How do you join the Futaba flyers club? I don't see any place to register on the website.I don't remember what I did with the paper that came with 12fg that was about the club.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost my paperwork, too. Just email Futaba and they will send you a .pdf with the sign-up form.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
woodbender

Silent, George, Malcolm posted his supplement here on RCU, this thread, post #66.

Malcolm also posted iton the RCG 8FG thread, post 1329link below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092861&page=89

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
woodbender

There are filed converters on the Futaba site to allow for the conversion of 12Z and 14MZ files into the 12FG.
Silent, will they convert into the 8FG?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
wjcalhoun

Malcolm Holt:
Just downloaded and read your 8FG notes, which are very helpful. As you mentioned, the manual explains how, but not why, to use a given feature.

A question on the way you implemented rates, using the radio's prioritization algorithm where switch conflicts occur (page 14). Your example using a 3-pos switch has several switch positions with two 'on' conditions. I set mine up on-off-off, off-on-off, off-off-on so that there was no ambiguity as to what a given switch position meant. What is the advantate in having off-on-on configurations?

One other small addition: when setting rates, it is essential to program the switch FIRST, and then go back and do rates and expo for that condition. I found that if you set the rates/expo first, and then assign a switch condition, the rate/expo information is lost.

Thanks for your great work on your notes. Between them and the manual, I have been able to get my planes set up without a lot of lost effort.

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
malcolmholt

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Malcolm Holt:
Just downloaded and read your 8FG notes, which are very helpful. As you mentioned, the manual explains how, but not why, to use a given feature.

A question on the way you implemented rates, using the radio's prioritization algorithm where switch conflicts occur (page 14). Your example using a 3-pos switch has several switch positions with two 'on' conditions. I set mine up on-off-off, off-on-off, off-off-on so that there was no ambiguity as to what a given switch position meant. What is the advantate in having off-on-on configurations?

One other small addition: when setting rates, it is essential to program the switch FIRST, and then go back and do rates and expo for that condition. I found that if you set the rates/expo first, and then assign a switch condition, the rate/expo information is lost.

Thanks for your great work on your notes. Between them and the manual, I have been able to get my planes set up without a lot of lost effort.

Bill
There is no advantage in using Off-On-On configurations for triple rates. The relevant paragraph starts "The same principle applies......... You COULD activate............etc" I was simply illustrating the principle of how priority is given to the higher numbered rate in the event of two different rates being switched on simultaneously. I WOULD normally use the set-up you describe as it is more logical but either will work.

Thanks for your comment about switch assignment. On page 13 I do recommend assigning switches first but your point that rate and expo values can be lost if this procedure is not followed is quite correct. (Entered values can be lost in a similar manner in other aspects of programming such as Program Mix). I will alter the wording slightly to clarify this point.

Glad you found the notes helpful.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
wjcalhoun

Thanks for the clarification.
Great work. Should be required reading for all 8FG owners.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
BobAZ

PROTECT MODEL AVIATION

Go to the following website to send a letter to your Senators and Congressman to tell them to protect Model Aviation. It is very simple and takes about 2 minutes.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/voice.aspx

Thanks and tell those that are not on this site.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

I GIVE UP!!!! I have done what I am told- -sent an email (actually two!) to profmb to join the Google site for 12FG Dummies. NOTHING!! NADA!!! NORESPONSE... Is there anything really going on to help us learn what the 12FG can do for us??? As you can tell I am frustrated...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
VF84sluggo

RAM - I share your frustration. I've had pretty good success with Bax and Krysta responding to 'question' topics that I've started. Some users have also chipped in on those threads. Otherwise, I've pretty much had to stumble along. Problem is, I'll find a way that works to do this or that, but then a month or so later when I go set up the same thing on another plane, I can't remember how the hell I did it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM
woodbender

Hi guys,

Ram, the Google group effort fizzled. Here's a link to a discussion thread on RC Groups where you can get lots of information:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092861

Hope this helps. Malcolm's notes made a real breakthrough for me. He contributes to the RC Groups thread occasionally also.

Finally, I'm starting to get the hang of the radio; thanks to Malcolm.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for that link Woodbender.
We all can use all the information we can to set-up these wonderful radios.

As a old JR user from the early eighties I am really disapointed in the accessories that Futaba ueses....like cheap thin servo wires and extensions and a really cheap switch that came with a two thousand dollar raido that I tossed in the trash.
Other then some up-dates for their high-end radios there is nothing in that line.
The luck that Futaba had is they used a rado technology that was "solid" from the start in the new 2.4 unlike JR tried to use.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM
VF84sluggo

Agree. Makes me wonder if/when JR catches up with a "FASST" equivalent for 2.4 if I'll switch back to JR. I love the programming capability, and flexibility, of the 12FG, but it is not that intuitive. I could get my 9303 programmed with minimal need to go to the manual.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 AM
RogerParrett

RAMFlyer... I sent you a PM.

r/s... Roger Parrett
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
MX240

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Agree. Makes me wonder if/when JR catches up with a ''FASST'' equivalent for 2.4 if I'll switch back to JR. I love the programming capability, and flexibility, of the 12FG, but it is not that intuitive. I could get my 9303 programmed with minimal need to go to the manual.
Yes, same here with the JR system with the ease to program and get a plane in the air with out the hassle of choosing every channel and telling it what you want to do.
But, I have read on here that the new JR11 has a bad instruction book and people struggle to program it??
I guess when JR came out with their 12X without a touch screen that was when I looked at going to Futaba and their better way of sending the signal. I still love my JR 10 on 72 an can set up a new plane useing all ten channels (flaps-retracts-brakes) in a short amount of time instead of playing with this new radio half the night and part of the next day.

Will I go back to JR??? Maybe....but at a great cost to me and only if JR's new "X" system proves it's self with a couple of years of reliability and by then I will....maybe have this new Futaba figured out...maybe? Like someone said above, when I do get something programed right, I can't remember how I got their because of all the steps.
All this could be solved with a rewrite of the instruction book...but no! nothing! Nata! You have to join a website with your password and ask the question and maybe....a day or two later you will get your answer in Fatabaizze language.
I am sure my name will be "mud" now.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
VF84sluggo

Yeah, you're right, even if JR comes up today with a 'FASST' equivalent, I'd wait a couple of years to see how holds up in the field. And to switch back would be very expensive and time consuming, so probably not gonna happen.

All in all, I am very satisfied with my 12FG. I have much, much more confidence in Futaba FASST than DSM2 or the new DSMX...and that's really important to me!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 AM
profmb

Hi all Profmb here,
Firstly RAM Flyer - I am sorry that I did not answer your email to me earlier - I have been travelling and on a major contract which has dominated my time. To answer you, I did PM you as soon as you wrote to me in January, but I received no reply. So not sure what happened there.

The plan to create a guide that those 'Dummies' of us might use fizzled out because we could not arrive at an agreement as to how it should be arranged. I made various attempts to try to 'negotiate' some compromises but had very little feedback, and most attempts to do this were ignored. A few of us were of like mind, but there were a view who were very fixed in how it should be written. With quite divergent views I suggested that we even have a Skype conversation - but from recollection, I had just one positive response to this.

Needless to say, those that were prepared to offer their time to do this, got fed up with the circular nature of some of the debate....

Neverthless the Google Group did bring together some very helpful information and sources. If you PM me with your email address, I will have another go at adding you to the Group, so that you can read the threads yourself, and glean what you are able to. There is one reference to a guide produced by Malcome Holt which I have found invaluable. Through this I have started to progress. I have found that my making a Configuration File in Exel, that I can go back to this when I need to programme another with the same or partially the same set up.

Personally I regret very much that we were not able to progress this work because I was prepared to put a lot of time in to build a site with links to all available resources. But i feel that there are some in our community that did not wish to see this happen - maybe I am being unduly (unfairly)cynical here....
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

If I give you a fish I feed you for one day. If I show you how to fish I feed you for life.
I think that was the conceptual difference we had regarding how to proceed with the Dummies Guide.
There was one number who wanted to explain how to use each feature of the 12FG,
There was another group who wanted to explain every possible plane configuration programming in the Guide. The number of combinations must have been, if calculated, astronomical.
There are several obvious problems with the 12FGA.
1) The manual tells you how to use everything but NOT why. Secondly, there is a lot of chaff in the text, continuously explaining how to navigate each menu instead of why to use that function.
2) The transmitter programming is so sophisticated that there must be 2 or 3 different ways of arriving to a desired result.
3) The terminology in the menus is a bit misleading sometimes. Why "camber" instead of flaperons?
4) Futaba has contributed a lot of FAQ and two videos on how to program the 12FGA plus an specific Web site and a separate one here in RCU. Not only is that helpful but it is also an admission that the documentation on the radio is not crystal clear by far.

I had a lot of false starts since I bought the radio 3 years ago and even today if I have to program a new plane I stumble in some advanced functions that I used before but I end up doing what I want. Is all a question of starting with the elementary and proceeding to the complicated. And once you got it you can create several boilerplate models configurations that you use in every new plane. Once solved, you have no more problems.

In all the questions posed in the different Web forums there is a repetition of questions and a reluctance to search for the same questions that have been answered before. So, we got to wonder what advantage would be to publish a Guide if people would continue to scream "give me the answer, please" without making an effort to find it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM
VF84sluggo

Do you have the links to the videos and the website?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 AM
beto9

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

Look at the top right hand side....
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 AM
woodbender

Malcolm Holt was nice enough to update his notes for the 8FG. Here's a link to the PDF file. If you download the file and it's of some use to you, please thank Malcolm directly. His email appears on the last page.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1750

Once again, Malcolm, and especiallyon behalf of the many Futaba fans you'll never hear from but who have managed to get their radios programmed thanks to your hard work writing this manual, thank you.

I'll add that the REAL thank you ought to come fromFutaba. I won't hold my breath on that one, though.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
MX240

Yes, I agree with that..... Mr Holt helped me understand some of this new radio's way of thinking and the crazy terms Futaba uses.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
beto9

It is an excellent manual that applies to all the high ebd Futaba radios!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

Finally the light bulb switched on for me about programming my 12FG. I owe a debt to Malcolm Holt for his excellent user notes for the 8FG. I read through Malcolm's document several times with my 12FG to do some examples. Then I followed the examples in two training videos Futaba Programming 101 and 102, and then finally went through the examples in the Futaba FAQ "12FG Basic Start Up Info" (http://futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-12fg-q1151.html). When I finished programming the example/tutorial for setting up an aerobatic fixed wing aircraft in the 12FG Basic Start Up Info FAQ document, then the programming finally made sense to me.

The 12FG Manual supplied with the radio set conveys next to no useful knowledge about practical application/programming of the 12FG's powerful capabilities. At least for me, my lights went on thanks to the outstanding addendum produced by Malcolm, the two Futaba video lessons and finally actually programming the examples in the 12FG FAQ "Basic Start Up Info". Now I see the 12FG as extraordinarily flexible and capable - and actually understandable - when a few weeks ago it seemed hopelessly complicated.

This process what worked for me, my friends, and it took less than two days of reading, viewing and programming some examples in the FAQ!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.