Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12 FG Dummies Guide

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 12 FG Dummies Guide

Good for you!
You learned to fish!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
tmark65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Brand new to this radio I was wondering if anybody can guide me how to setup "speed" and "thermal" on SE switch for my Blaster2.

I have created two new conditions and then ?

thanks in advance !!!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
beto9

...assign the two conditions to one or two switches, depending....
Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM
tmark65

ORIGINAL: beto9

...assign the two conditions to one or two switches, depending....

DONE THIS, switch is SE and front in cond2 is ON, center OFF back OFF.

How can I assign the new servo positions ?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
beto9

Switch on the first condition, set your functions (????) as required, switch on the second condition, assign the other functions as needed.
Better get hold of the manual written for the 8FG mentioned in previous postings...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
tmark65

What you're saying was more or less in my mind, but this is a huge change from 10CP series radios.

Anyhow I 'll check tomorrow morning at the field.

Thank you !
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM
tmark65

ORIGINAL: tmark65

What you're saying was more or less in my mind, but this is a huge change from 10CP series radios.

Anyhow I 'll check tomorrow morning at the field.

Thank you !
EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH, 12FG ROCKS !!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Jenson Button

12/8/2010
ORIGINAL: Skaluf
I just want you to know that your posts and suggestions are being read/considered. No decisions have been made of course, but we are listening.

Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
12/29/2010
The videos will be continued. I had hoped to get 103 in the can prior to the end of the year but it's not going to happen. It should, however be available by the end of January.
Additional guides to programming have been, and are being discussed. All, please understand your concerns/suggestions are being listened to by Hobbico. The video series I have been doing was started as a result of requests received from customers.
I don't know what the future will hold right now, but Hobbico did not become the company we are today by not listening to our customers.
Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
So what happened? I've just purchased an 8fg. I found the manual to be apalling. I searched the net and found this thread. This thread was started a year ago, and there were clearly many people disastisfied with the documentation back then. Steve told us that "Hobbico did not become the company we are today by not listening to our customers". Well, you could have fooled me. One year on, where are the additional videos? Where is the improved documentation?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

Jenson,

Please see my post #175, earlier. I found that Malcolm Holt's "8FG user notes" an excellent explanation about how to approach understanding the programming for the 8FG and 12FG line. Search in this thread for the location of Malcolm Holt's document (PDF file). It will help clear the fog. It did for me.

Ron K

Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Jenson Button

Thanks for that, Ron. I downloaded the manual when I read your post in the thread. As you say, it does clear things, somewhat. But it is written for fixed wing aircraft. I'm looking to use the 8FG with a multicopter.
I agree Malcolm has provided a great service to the community. But where are Futaba? If you look at the thread in which that PDF is located, it's 234 pages long! Futaba seems content to leave its customers to scratch around among themselves, trying to understand how use Futaba products. I really think it's a bit rich that Steve would make such a big thing about "we listen to our customers" - in the face of heavy criticism - and then here we are a year later and absolutely nothing has changed. Sorry if this is a bit strong, but things like this really bug me. I've just purchased a very expensive piece of equipment. I'd like to see some support from its manufacturers. I'm honestly thinking about sending it back and trying a different manufacturer.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
DougV

Well, go and download the manuals from other manufacturers and compare them, in most cases you will find not much difference between them.

By the way, welcome to RCU.

Doug.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 PM
rfk1381

Futaba's 8FG/12FG/12Z/14Z line of transmitters, unlike their older and simpler line (7U/8U/7C/9C/10C), is immensely much more flexible and configurable. The Futaba factory manual is typically a basic explanation of functions but not how to program more complex aircraft. Several knowledgable authors have written excellent after-market manuals for the 8U, 9C and 10C. No author has yet attempted the newer 8FG and 12FG transmitters. BUT the FAQ sections for the various transmitters on www.futabarc.com website answer a very large number of application questions. Have you tried the FAQs? Also there is the RCU Futaba factory support forum, and they do answer programming questions.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Jenson Button

ORIGINAL: DougV
Well, go and download the manuals from other manufacturers and compare them, in most cases you will find not much difference between them.

By the way, welcome to RCU.

Doug.
I will, and thanks for the welcome. Good to be here.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Jenson Button

ORIGINAL: rfk1381
Futaba's 8FG/12FG/12Z/14Z line of transmitters, unlike their older and simpler line (7U/8U/7C/9C/10C), is immensely much more flexible and configurable. The Futaba factory manual is typically a basic explanation of functions but not how to program more complex aircraft. Several knowledgable authors have written excellent after-market manuals for the 8U, 9C and 10C. No author has yet attempted the newer 8FG and 12FG transmitters. BUT the FAQ sections for the various transmitters on www.futabarc.com website answer a very large number of application questions. Have you tried the FAQs? Also there is the RCU Futaba factory support forum, and they do answer programming questions.
Here's an example of a FAQ from the 8FG page:

I see the 8FG comes in two versions, Airplane and Heli. What are the differences?

The main difference is that the Airplane version will default to Airplane when powered up, and vice versa.

The switches may be configured differently and the ratchet will be different. To make these changes please send the transmitter to the service center.

In my eyes that's exactly the same level of unhelpfulness that the manual displays. Here's another one:What are some basic steps to get started programming for my plane?[/b]Do you feel that would be of any help whatsoever to someone looking for basic help? I have to say that I don't.

My point is that a year ago it was clear that many people were unhappy with the documentation provided for this radio. Steve came into the thread, and said:we hear you; we hear you, and we're on it. And then did absolutely nothing about it. If you read Malcom Holt's introduction to his notes, it's clear that he found the manual extremely unhelpful. Malcolm clearly knows his way around radios. So we have the entire range of users, from novice to expert, all feeling let down by this manual. Futaba acknowledged this a year ago and said that they were going to do something about it. They've done nothing.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Jenson Button
Futaba acknowledged this a year ago and said that they were going to do something about it. They've done nothing.
To be perfectly accurate, Hobbico recognized the issue. Hobbico is the North American distributor. Futaba itself has not made any such statement. So while Hobbico may agree and want to change it they cannot do so without the approval of the Futaba Corporation folks in Japan. Think of it like the largest Ford dealer in the world recognizing that the owner's manual need improvement. He cannot do anything without the approval of Fork Motor Company in Detroit.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM
rarefind666

I put my 12fg back in the box and on the shelf[:@] I'm just to busy to spend hours and hours on it. I want to fly when I have time off. I'm not lazy or stupid..... (as some have said on here) I run/own a large company with plenty of stress , and do not need stress over my hobby ......It makes me so mad when think about it.....I buy very little from tower hobby now....
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Jenson Button

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R
To be perfectly accurate, Hobbico recognized the issue. Hobbico is the North American distributor. Futaba itself has not made any such statement. So while Hobbico may agree and want to change it they cannot do so without the approval of the Futaba Corporation folks in Japan. Think of it like the largest Ford dealer in the world recognizing that the owner's manual need improvement. He cannot do anything without the approval of Fork Motor Company in Detroit.
Fair enough, but Steve from Hobbico did say this at the beginning of this thread, last year:

The videos will be continued. I had hoped to get 103 in the can prior to the end of the year but it's not going to happen. It should, however be available by the end of January.

Additional guides to programming have been, and are being discussed. All, please understand your concerns/suggestions are being listened to by Hobbico. The video series I have been doing was started as a result of requests received from customers.

I don't know what the future will hold right now, but Hobbico did not become the company we are today by not listening to our customers.
So where are the additional videos? What became of the discussions about additional guides? Hobbico listened, and then did what, exactly?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 AM
DougV

Here's my opinion... Futaba manuals are what they are “Futaba manuals” love them or hate them; they’ve been like that since 1972 I think, made from engineers to engineers.

Steve works for Hobbico not Futaba, he did created some videos for us, was that enough? Maybe not, but at least he tried to help, what has Ripmax in the UK done for you? Have they tried to fix the manuals for you?

When I made the move to Futaba from JR, I made a commitment to learn Futaba’s UI, I took me a few hours and a six pack, plug in a few servos to the receiver and started playing with the programming (Servo monitor is your friend) and never looked back, that was the best thing I have done in this hobby so far.

Doug.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
rfk1381

Rare,

Your post reads just like mine did at the start of this thread! I know your frustration. I wanted to fly not fiddle with a transmitter.

But I printed out Malcolm Holt's notes, and the FAQ about setting up an aerobatic airplane, and after following Steve Kalauf's training videos, I spent several hours becoming familiar with the 12FG. After about 2 hours the light turned on for me. No looking back now.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM
telejojo

I have a 12fg and on the throttle cut and when setting up It increases the rpm's how do you reverse the throttle cut?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Since this thread has hit the front cover , of RCU , I couldn,t help but laugh . JR and Futaba , are extremly good radio,s . I owned JR and Futaba,s . I,m an anolog type of person , more mechanical .

I gave up on both these radio,s . They want us to program ourself,s as , " THEY " want . If I say american football , we all know what I,m speaking of . If I say , " English football " , I,m really saying , " soccer " .

Why cann,t these company,s get together and speak the same lingo , as , " WE " as modelers , speak at the field .

It sure would be nice .

I bought a radio that is much simpler , and , " NO " , I wouldn,t dare mention it here

I just wish they would speak laymen terms .

Have a good one

Michel
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
wjcalhoun

Had the same issue with throttle cut; for mine, the issue was that the limits and end points had to be adjusted. Once I did that, the throttle cut worked properly.
Good luck.

It is a great radio, but the learning curve is steep.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
telejojo

I see what your are saying but it seems like no matter what the end point is it will still increase when you hit the switch.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM
wjcalhoun

Exactly - so the manual does not really help you sort out what to do.
Try it and see - if it does not fix your problem, try something else.
Good luck

Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
profmb

Hi all, let me jump in here. It was me who started off this thread, for many of the same reasons that have been stated here. I had set up a Google Group where those that do understand the nuances (and they are absolutley 'nuances') could share their expertise with those of us who were struggling. Through the Google Group I could not get any common position as to where/ how to start. We also had really unhelpful contributions from some that took what I regarded as a somewhat arrogant view which boiled down to : 'read the manual stupid'. But perhaps in fairness to those comments, there is a point where one has to read whatever and take time to work through and think about what has been written...so it cannot all be 'spoon feeding', is what I could infer from those comments.

My thinking was to set out a simple step by step 'walk-though' for each typical configuration. A huge debate then started as to what is a 'typical configuration' and what plane types and on an on. I lost the will to live at this point. But I also felt that we needed some basic concepts explained on which the configuration is predicated. For example; what is the concept of a 'Condition' and why is this useful? Then an explanation of how to to configure a condition, with worked examples of different ones would have been very helpful. As I say we established a Google Group with a mind to collaborating on an on-line manual. My thinking was a kind of Wikipedia approach. A few of us set out how we might organise the document, but this simply attracted a lot of unhelpful comments, with little constructive contribution.

Since that time I have experimented a learned more with my 12FG - but it is a time consuming process and I am sure that I have only scraped the surface. For those of you that read Model Aeroplane News there is a series articles that explain how to perform different aerobatic sequences. Supported by diagrams, they tell you why you need to execute various control inputs and the impact of them on the manoeuvre. Sooo helpful in my view. I think that these articles are a good example of what I would like to have in a manual.

Perhaps our original approach was wrong ( ie 'top down' try to organise the manual first) , and that what is needed is those that have a programming configuration that they wish to share, then we simply collect these nuggets in one place. Later on they could then be organised into an on-line guide. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.