Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help, I'm a beginner at elect flight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
rogervan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I'm a beginner at elect flight.

I have the Yard Stik, because it's slow and i'm less likely to crash it. I have a lot of experience with free flight gliders, so I know how to build and trim. But the Yard Stik came to me without electronics! I've put some hours into researching, but now I have to come to you.

I downloaded the manual, and the schematic does not get through to me. Check http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1100-manual-v1_1.pdf

It does not describe how the parts go together, nor the order of the parts, as though they were wired together, so that I can figure out how to mount it all. The only things I understand are how to install the servos and how the battery clips in. But I do not know where to plug the battery, how the speed control works, etc. Is there a simple depiction somewhere that shows how all these parts go together. I know, it will be simple once I've done it.

Roger
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help, I'm a beginner at elect flight.

There are some good books out there for beginners to Electric powered aircraft.

Basically, the motor has 3 wires that plug into the Electronic Speed Control (ESC). You can plug any of the 3 wires together and if the motor is turning in the wrong direction then just switch any of the two wires. The ESC plugs into the Throttle Channel on the Tx. In most ESC's, there is a Battery Eliminator Circuit that splits the voltage from the battery between the Rx and the Motor. The Rx usually gets 4.8v unless the ESC has an adjustment for voltage to the Rx. Most ESC's are programmable. Some allow you to program using the Tx and listening to various Beeps from the ESC. Other ESC's get programmed with a Credit Card size circuit board with various pins on it. Other ESC's can be connected to a PC, using a special USB cable purchased from the ESC manufacturer. The parameters that can be changed display on the PC monitor.

Some people use servos that draw more current the the BEC on the ESC can handle. In that case, people wire in external BEC's or they use a separate battery for the Rx plugged into the Bat port on the Rx or into any Servo Port on the Rx.

It is a good idea, with Electric Powered models, to purchase a Wattmeter. This device is hooked up between the Battery and the ESC. When you run the motor, it will tell you the Wattage, Voltage, and Current you are drawing. It helps you pick the best Prop for your aircraft and ensures that you are not drawing more current than your motor or ESC can handle.

As far as batteries go, they are rated in MAH, but they also have C ratings. The C rating tells you what the maximum current your battery can handle. If you have a 2000mah battery, for example, a battery rated at 30C can handle 60 amps. If the Wattmeter says you are drawing more than 60 amps, you need to use a smaller prop or use a battery rated for more than 30C.

The only other thing to consider is the type of Battery Connectors (Deans Ultra, Deans Mini, Jst, Bullet Connectors, etc.) and the gauge of the battery wire you use.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help, I'm a beginner at elect flight.

ORIGINAL: rogervan

I have the Yard Stik, because it's slow and i'm less likely to crash it. I have a lot of experience with free flight gliders, so I know how to build and trim. But the Yard Stik came to me without electronics! I've put some hours into researching, but now I have to come to you.

I downloaded the manual, and the schematic does not get through to me. Check http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1100-manual-v1_1.pdf

It does not describe how the parts go together, nor the order of the parts, as though they were wired together, so that I can figure out how to mount it all. The only things I understand are how to install the servos and how the battery clips in. But I do not know where to plug the battery, how the speed control works, etc. Is there a simple depiction somewhere that shows how all these parts go together. I know, it will be simple once I've done it.

Roger
Good read here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71..._1/key_/tm.htm

Doug.