Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual RX set up ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual RX set up ?

I am not asking how to go redundant with switches or batteries . (lots of info on that)

My Question is how to set up 2 receivers like what servo lead to what receiver etc.
And where to run the ant. wires (FM) ?

My 9c with 2 pcm rx, is out of date, (no money to go 2.4 at this time) but my thinking is using what I have to improve my chances.
And PPM receivers have become 1/2 price. So why not buy them up and go redundant ?

Note : I understand this adds weight, and do not plan to do this to anything under 60 size.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dual RX set up ?

Generally, you install the Rx's such that the Antennas go off at a 45deg angle to the center line between the two Rx's.

As far as servo connections, you have not stated how many servos you have and how many are on each control surface. If, for example, you have two Aileron servos, two Flap servos, and two Elevator servos, you could connect one servo for each control surface to each Rx. If one Rx fails, you will at least have half a Flap, half an Aileron, and half an Elevator, to land. The Rudder and Throttle servos can be connected to either of the Rx's

If you are not using Mixing, then you would connect each servo to the corresponding channel on each Rx.

Redundant Rx's do not give you any more channels, they just protect you against losing the aircraft if an Rx fails.

This method is most commonly used for larger, more expensive aircraft, that have multiple servos on each control surface. If you have a smaller aircraft and only one Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, and Throttle servo, then there is really no reason to do this, and no way to split up the servos and help save your aircraft in the event of an Rx failure.

Having dual batteries is more practical.

We need more info.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
ES CONTROL

A UCD 60 to experiment with while I save up for a 30cc  540 Edge or  70" Slick 

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
BuschBarber

OK!! A Great Planes U Can Doo 60.

Are you using a two Aileron servos and two Elevator servos, Rudder servo and Throttle servo?

If so, you can connect one Aileron servo and one Elevator servo to each Rx. If you are using Flapperon mixing, one Aileron servo would connect to the Aileron channel on one Rx and the other Aileron servo would connect to the Flap channel on the other Rx. You can do the same thing with the Elevator servos by selecting Ailevator program and connecting one Elevator servo to the Elevator channel and one Elevator servo to Ch8.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
ES CONTROL

That sounds simple .  
How do i run my 2' long ant. at a 45  . on a removable wing ?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
BuschBarber

You can run each antenna out the opposite fuselage side and connect each to the end of each stab with a rubberband.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
ES CONTROL

Ok  Thank You !!!
I crashed a Hanger 9 Showtime , due to vibration.  What a sick feeling 
Now I am changing my set up so this can be avoided with 2 batt, 2 switches mounted in rubber, 2 rx ,  seat engine on rubber o rings and balance
props vertical  and  horizontal.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
BuschBarber

Glad I could help you!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL
I am not asking how to go redundant with switches or batteries . (lots of info on that)
My Question is how to set up 2 receivers like what servo lead to what receiver etc.
And where to run the ant. wires (FM) ?My 9c with 2 pcm rx, is out of date, (no money to go 2.4 at this time) but my thinking is using what I have to improve my chances.And PPM receivers have become 1/2 price. So why not buy them up and go redundant ?
Note : I understand this adds weight, and do not plan to do this to anything under 60 size.
the following may assist:
<dt>Dual Battery_ Separate Batteries for Receiver and Servos _Pictorial </dt><dt>Dual (Parallel) Battery Operation = Dual A123 Battery Backup System </dt><dt>Dual Batteries - Multiple Batteries may be installed for redundancy or even one for each servo. </dt><dt>Dual RX, dual batts, isolators, 6v, voltage depression, redundancy, etc </dt><dt>Dual Rx / Dual Batteries </dt><dt>Dual Receivers - Reduces strength of the Rf link </dt><dt>Dual Receivers #2 </dt><dt>Dual Receivers #3
and more under
"Giant Scale, Large RC models, Twins & Multi Engines" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
</dt>