Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

The JR XF421EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Cessna26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The JR XF421EX

Is the JR XF421EX reall worth the extra 20 bucks compare to the quattro? The XF421EX is a 5 channel transmitter with digital trim and the works. The quattro is the 4 channel regular radio. All the servos and other stuff is the same.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The JR XF421EX

Well there are a number of ways at looking at that. Just one of them is: do you think perhaps you will ever want an airplane with retracts or flaps perhaps flaperons or drop a bomb, parachute?

You see guys all the time posting on this forum that bought inadaquate radios to start with. Its never a bad choice to buy as capable radio as you can afford. Buy the way twenty bucks is nothing when you discover you need it. I am not familiar with the 421 EX but beleve it does has some mix's and end points (something many want very soon) and the Quattro has nothing going for it. It is a basic four just as the basic four's from all the major manufacturers.

John
Old 08-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Cessna26

Default The JR XF421EX

Ya i am planning on having retracts or flaps in the future so you think it is a good idea still?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The JR XF421EX

Yes

Twenty bucks is what that is going to cost you on the electronic end. Its that or fixed gear, discounting a couple of other needed features everybody always wants after surviving their trainer. Fact is most are looking for more capable radios than the 421EX as they climb up the skills ladder in a short time, just read these forums.

John
Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Default The JR XF421EX

Advantages of 421 over Quattro.

421 has fifth channel.
421 has travel adjustments for each channel.
421 has v-tail mixing--Delta and Flaperon.
421 has digital voltage readout.
421 has 2 model memories.

421 comes with 4 537 ball bearing servos, Quattro comes with non-ball bearing 527 servos.--???

421 does not have digital trims. 421 has same manual trims as Quattro.

Quattro has for reverseabe channels and a silly cheap stoplight voltage display.

Both systems are glorified trainer boxes, I would rather spend the extra $20 on the 421 computer radio.

Better yet, for about the same price you could find a good used JR 652. It looks a lot like the 421, but does everything you will need for years. It can be as simple a radio as a beginner would need, or you can do more advanced mixing, even Helicopters. 652 also does JR SPCM and ZPCM.

I like the my 652 better than any other radio ever made. It is no longer produced, but very easy to find. Might even find an unsold new one in a hobby shop somewhere.

I prefer my 652 over my $1200 JR PCM10X for flying simple planes.
Don't get me wrong, the 10X is the best radio made, I just don't lug it around when I am flyng 40 size trainers. Lately I have went back to trainers because crashes are so much cheaper!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default The JR XF421EX

Used 421ex's can be found pretty cheap in the Swapshop. I got one for $50 to use as a buddy box, and I've seen them as low as $35.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:56 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The JR XF421EX

421 does not have digital trims. 421 has same manual trims as Quattro.
Yes, that's true, but the 421 has digital subtrims. I actually think the manual/digital idea is a very good one. I thought the full package was a reasonable deal when I got back into r/c, considering you get a light 7-ch Rx and 4 BB servos. That being said, I'm going to buy an eclipse or tracker because the 2 model memory was good when I had 2 planes, but now that I have 3, and 3 more to build.......