Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

record altitude attempts

Old 08-08-2003, 08:39 AM
bela

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default record altitude attempts

Does anyone know how to go about making an attempt on an rc airplane altitude record?
meaning who do you get permission from to boost transmission power for the attempt, is there a legal tracking entity? an independent verifier, etc etc.

thanx
Old 08-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Records

Maynard Hill did some altitude records back in the 70's I think to somewhere above 20K+ feet. I believe he used the range tracking equipment at Wallops Island and Ham frequencies to get the power up. Was in the magazines back then. Might see if Model Airplane News has it in their archives. Tracking via high powered optics was the biggie and it took a couple different systems to maintain visual contact. You'd also want to make sure you're in restricted airspace at those altitudes.

Has to be certified by the FAI via AMA. They can give you the info on how to do the record, witnessing, & paperwork.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:32 AM
bela

ok, so they didnt use a standard radio that had the amp spiked? ok, well tanx for that info, sounds like a geat place for me to start my research.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Dsegal

You had better set your sights quite high (a pun there) if you want to beat Maynard Hill's 1970 record of 26,919 feet.

Dave Segal
Old 08-09-2003, 06:35 PM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

yeah but it's doable - also, it costs $3500 per attempt so get it right the first time...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Frede2-RCU

Default Flying high

Originally posted by Dsegal
You had better set your sights to beat Maynard Hill's 1970 record of 26,919 feet.
Dave Segal
Well, I recently saw on the Discovery channel about the fed. gov. having about 3,000 different types of RPVs and I'm sure that several can exceed 60,000 ft. and stay up many days gathering information.
Don't these qualify as records?
Old 08-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Dsegal

> Don't these qualify as records <

We are speaking of records for model airplanes as defined under FAI rules. If memory serves, the weight limit is 5kg (11 lbs.) so the military and commercial stuff does not count.

Dave Segal