Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba T9CAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
stang2b
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba T9CAP

I can get a T9caP Super for $150, with 2 recievers, and charger, is this a good deal, I have been out of the hobby for 10 years now, and have read many forums about this particular radio, but for the foremost they are older forums, I am aware that this radio is not 2.4 for todays standard, I am just trying to get back in the hobby and want to make sure I get my moneys worth. All help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Futaba T9CAP

The upside:
It's upgradable to 2.4 because its module based.
It's got a lot of features.
There's a ton of recievers for it available on the cheap (i have a walmart bag full of the things)
So many people have switched, the 72 mhz channels are pretty easy to use at most local fields.

The downside:
Its an older design with a slow processor so things like mixing elevator halves can result in one moving before the other if you're using large throws and fast servos like a 3D style plane or helicopter.
Even with a module, you dont get some of the advantages of a true 2.4 system like system speed, high resolution, servo synch, and (in Jr/Spektrums case) model match.
It's really an 8 channel radio. The 9th channel is only on/off and only available in PCM mode, nothing can be mixed to or from it. It's great for retracts or lights but little else.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
stang2b

so for a starting radio getting back into the hobby its still a great deal? I plan on upgrading to a newer futaba or jr in the next year or so. Or should I pass on this deal?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the things that Barracuda said. The elevator issue probably not bother you unless you are doing extreem 3d. I flew a couple planes for over two years with the split elevators and didn't know there was any problem until I read about it.

There are acouple things that go bad from hard use and minimual care. The switches break. They can be repaired, but find out if all switches, sliders, and knobs work OK. The other is that the silver plating on the face plate can go aligator on you. I have a 9C, and a 9C super. The 9C looks really bad. The Supper is starting to show loose plating.

I went to the 10C while they were still full modular and while it has abit more function, IEmixes, and it balances in the hand a bit better, they are basicly the same radio. I've been slow going over to 2.4 because the receivers are very expensive compaired to the 72 ones. I'm waiting for a couple of the Hobby King Orange 2.4 RX to arrive to see how they work out. $29.95 is a lot easier to swollow than $99.99, espically if you have four or five planes to convert to 2.4.

Iwould think that if the set you are looking at is in good shape, it should give you years of service yet. Iwould work on the price a bit though. I bought my 9C here on RCuniverse before I got the 10C and I paid $150 for it then, thinking it was a supper. I complained to the guy and he refunded $20 back. That was a couple years back. I would think you could get the set for around a hundred or maybe a little less.

Ialso wouldn't think about a 2.4 conversion on it. the cost of my 10C with a 14 and a 7 channel RX package they were offering was only $50 more than I would have spent converting my 9C and buying the two RX's.Maybe the HiTech modlules and RX's changes that math and makes it worth your while..

In anycase, it is a good TX and will drive all but the most complex planes.

Don
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

I just sold a practically new 9 Super with a receiver for $100.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:31 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I sold A 9cap super without module or receiver (like new but 3 years old) for $228, so there you go!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 4*60

And I sold A 9cap super without module or receiver (like new but 3 years old) for $228, so there you go!
I sold mine with 5 receivers several years ago. It was a nice radio, but it always bothered me that the 9th channel was a Switch and only worked with PCM Rx's.

I then discovered the JR XP9303. It had 9 proportional channels in both PCM and PPM, it had Flaps on a 3 position switch, it had Flight Modes, and finally, when I added the Spektrum 2.4 RF Module, it had 9 proportional channels on 2.4Ghz. It took Futaba a while to catch up. I knew they probably would, but I wanted to escape 72Mhz and go to 2.4, then, and I am glad I did.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: stang2b

I can get a T9caP Super for $150, with 2 recievers, and charger, is this a good deal, I have been out of the hobby for 10 years now, and have read many forums about this particular radio, but for the foremost they are older forums, I am aware that this radio is not 2.4 for todays standard, I am just trying to get back in the hobby and want to make sure I get my moneys worth. All help is greatly appreciated
Well I'm 'gonna say; just pick up something in 2.4GHz right off the bat.... [8D]

I sold my 9C Super with two rx's, charger and even still in it's original packaging for about what you mention, and that was 4 years ago.

My issue then and while some others will disagree, was all the "toys" coming out of places like WallyWorld and even Harbor Freight in the 72MHz band combined with lots of new churches, parks and schools withing a three mile radius of our field. 'Bout lost a 33% size Edge one day and that was enough for me. You see guys interested in FPV going to the 72MHz band for more range while flying by the camera rather than what you can see, if you go to an RC boat meet it would surprise you how many of those guys are running old 72MHz radios in the air band rather than the surface band they are supposed to be on and even those guys in our club who still use it have gotten really lax on using the frequency control board.

Down the road a bit and it won't be long, you're going to want to go with the newer technology if not for that reason, then because of all the changes in programming capablity of the newer radios and the difference in the speed of the model's response to control inputs is something you have to try to believe.

Then the money you've spent now will just be tied up in hardware that will be difficult to recoup when you do make the move. I call it stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

JMHO....
Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to spend over $25.00 on a new tx - don't bother with setups which "retrofit" into 72 mhz.
The new field being setup here -for example - won't have a frequency board-
why?
why bother.
those who still use the 72 stuf can make a gentleman's agreement with th others who may show up using 72
The revolution to 2.4 g really took over
72 setups are give aways here.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Richard39

Half of the members at my club on any given day are flying 2.4 and most of those members have high dollar airplanes... The 9Cap 72 mhz is a great transmitter and I have two... but if I was starting out today then I would have no choice but to go 2.4 as it is the future and the future is here now...

I have one 2.4 that I am getting use to with my electrics and it works fine... My recommendation would be to get a good 2.4 that you can live with for the next 20 years.... Price should be somewhere in the $200 to $500 dollars to get started.. but you will never look back and say I made a mistake...

If you are new to this sport or getting back into it after many years.... Start with and Stay with a Nice 2.4... no cheap stuff....
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
stang2b

I can get a jr 10x pcm, how good are those modules for the 2.4 ghz mod,
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: stang2b

I can get a jr 10x pcm, how good are those modules for the 2.4 ghz mod,
If it takes the Spektrum RF Modules like my XP9303 does, then it should work fine. There are other 2.4Ghz radio manufacturers that offer Modules for JR transmitters, with receivers to match. Futaba and XPS come to mind. The 10X is an older radio, with more difficult programming and slower response, however, you can probably get a used one at a good price.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have a 9c that has an XPS 2.4 module I will sell for $200 if you pay for the shipping. You can get a 6 channel receiver for $30 from XPS. PM me if interested.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

If I were getting back into it, I'd just save my money and buy: 1) Futaba 8FG, 2) Spektrum DX8, 3) Hitec Aurora 9 or 4) Airtronics SD-10G

They all cost somewhere around $400 - $450 but they will do just about everything you would ever want as a sport plane flyer and be able to grow with you as you progress.

I like the 8FG and now with the latest firmware release, it's actually a 14 channel transmitter (12+2digi). The DX8 and Aurora 9 both offer telemetry. And the SG-10 is an awesome transmitter too.

The benefit of the 8FG and the DX8 is the fact that you can get aftermarket, aka OrangeRX receivers, for both and the prices are about $30 for the Futaba compatible 8 channel rx and $8 for the Spektrum compatible 6 channel rx.

Add to that the fact that the newer radios are so easy to program, many setups are already included in the programming, why punish yourself with roughly 12 year old technology.

You only live once, live large or go home.

I forgot to mention, I still have my 9CAP and I use it with a Spektrum module for my BNF models but thats about all, otherwise I use my 8FG.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM
pilotpete2

+1
I've also kept my TM-8 module, just in case my 8FG ever needed service during the flying season.
Pete
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 9CA with the TM-8 2.4 module and it's still a great transmitter.  And now, my 8FG just leapfrogged it with the free v3.0 software upgrade to 12+2 channels.  I like having a ready back-up and will eventually have all my planes on both.