Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

My Video review and guide to the Spektrum DX8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Video review and guide to the Spektrum DX8

If you are considering a DX8 I hope these videos are useful..

I have had mine for 2 days and love it..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHj39V1JQqU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHLKqWkQm8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RjotmUPts[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se2v_u5G7AI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6n1BH8rGI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGEDBL5JXQ[/youtube]

Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: My Video review and guide to the Spektrum DX8

You answered alot of my questions on the dx8 and I am even more excited now about receiving it from UPS sometime tomorrow! Good luck with yours!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM
hfenn

Thanks Rob for the excellent videos. Like kurt2022, you answered a lot of questions. I do have one though. How does the DX8 compare to the 6i while holding it? I have a 6i I've been using for over 3 years, and got a DX7 3 months ago. I find the 7 has the sticks a little closer together (which I like) compared to the 6i so I was curious about a "feel" comparison between the 6i and 8. Thanks ahead if you have the time to answer the inquiry!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: hfenn

Thanks Rob for the excellent videos. Like kurt2022, you answered a lot of questions. I do have one though. How does the DX8 compare to the 6i while holding it? I have a 6i I've been using for over 3 years, and got a DX7 3 months ago. I find the 7 has the sticks a little closer together (which I like) compared to the 6i so I was curious about a "feel" comparison between the 6i and 8. Thanks ahead if you have the time to answer the inquiry!
Hi,

the DX8 sticks are just slightly wider than the DX6i. as per the photo below

I personally think the DX8 feels fantastic.. very comfortable, well balanced.... the quad bearing gimbals are beautiful to use..

I have really enjoyed flying with it

The DX8 is also slightly heavier at 867 Grams with neck strap

The DX6i is 765 Grams with neck strap.

I like the DX6i and have 2 of them.. they have been flawless radios and I have used them frequently and enjoy the feel of it..

But compared to the DX8, the DX6i feels like a toy (sorry, no disrespect mean't by that... its just that the DX8 has a solid "Quality" feel to it that the DX6i lacks)

I have also conducted real range checks with the radio.... (I do with all my new radiosbefore I use them http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9829320)

The DX8 with the AR8000 RX worked to over 3 kilometers.

The Telemetry was working to 2.2 Kilometers.

and with the UMX Beast (Park flyer) and the DX8 I managed 680 meters line of sight before losing signal

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
kurt2022

Rob2160,
One thing I'm really interested in is the 5 point throttle curve because I have not had a transmitter with that option on it before. I think it would be very beneficial, I fly gas airplanes and am really looking forward to testing out the throttle curve. I wonder if anyone reading this with a dx8 could fill us in on their experience with the throttle curve on a gas bird?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
flyallday

Rob, thank you for taking the time to create these videos. I am sure many will find your review very helpful and unbiased. I recently purchased a DX8 and found the roller wheel somewhat difficult when scrolling and entering values. I have learned that the "enter" is at the top of the wheel and scrolling is best at the bottom. This is a wonderful radio and have had 0 issues myself.

Harry
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Although not a DX user, the idea of posting short videos to explain procedures, setups, firmware updates is a great service to other users. Maybe more people and manufacturers will get aboard and use the power of video instead of publishing BS users manuals! Super Job! Super service to the community.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 AM
rikybob

Great job Rob!!!

Brian
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

Rob2160,
One thing I'm really interested in is the 5 point throttle curve because I have not had a transmitter with that option on it before. I think it would be very beneficial, I fly gas airplanes and am really looking forward to testing out the throttle curve. I wonder if anyone reading this with a dx8 could fill us in on their experience with the throttle curve on a gas bird?

Hi Kurt,

I am familiar with Throttle curves from my heli flying... and this radio lets you set one for fixed wing aircraft also...

I am away from home right now but can post another video on it later this week...

Basically if you imagine.. a normal transmitter ... the throttle stick can move from Zero to 100%...

Similarly. the throttle setting moves from zero to 100% in the same proportion..

Having 5 point throttle curves means you can set exactly what setting you want at the Zero, 25%, 50% 75% and 100% stick position..

IE.. you might set a throttle curve of 0 40 60 80 100 which means at 25% throttle STICK position your have 40% power.. and that gives you a finer control of the "useful" band of power in either an electric or nitro motor... a video will explain it better ...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyallday

Rob, thank you for taking the time to create these videos. I am sure many will find your review very helpful and unbiased. I recently purchased a DX8 and found the roller wheel somewhat difficult when scrolling and entering values. I have learned that the ''enter'' is at the top of the wheel and scrolling is best at the bottom. This is a wonderful radio and have had 0 issues myself.

Harry
I also had trouble turning the roller - so I used sharp emery paper and carfeully- lightly scuffed each segment (along the length)- I did not want any sanding dust inside the tx!
did it on two DX8's
That fixed em for me
Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

Well done, Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Rob2160,

Hi Kurt,

I am familiar with Throttle curves from my heli flying... and this radio lets you set one for fixed wing aircraft also...

I am away from home right now but can post another video on it later this week...

Basically if you imagine.. a normal transmitter ... the throttle stick can move from Zero to 100%...

Similarly. the throttle setting moves from zero to 100% in the same proportion..

Having 5 point throttle curves means you can set exactly what setting you want at the Zero, 25%, 50% 75% and 100% stick position..

IE.. you might set a throttle curve of 0 40 60 80 100 which means at 25% throttle STICK position your have 40% power.. and that gives you a finer control of the ''useful'' band of power in either an electric or nitro motor... a video will explain it better ...
The carbs used on all the gassers are of a type , which is very non linear in response-
Basically under NO LOAD conditions the rpm is full at 1/2 throttle blade position.
Common user approach is to hook up linkage in the easiest maner - no real regard to stick>throttle blade position.
So -if one does look at throttle blade position and servo rotation THEN attaches linkage such that the full throttle blade rotation and full servo rotation at 100% default setting is the same-a grouping of the points can be done which will be meaningful.
Confused?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 AM
kurt2022

rmh,
Confused, just a little bit! I believe what you are saying is that you want very little throttle servo movement for the first 0 to 50% of transmitter stick movement and rapid throttle servo movement from half throttle on up!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rmh,
Confused, just a little bit! I believe what you are saying is that you want very little throttle servo movement for the first 0 to 50% of transmitter stick movement and rapid throttle servo movement from half throttle on up!
The Throttle movement on the Walbro type carb we use on gas engines is not Linear. Using Throttle Curves, in the Tx programming, makes it behave more Linearly.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 AM
kurt2022

Buschbarber,
I agree with you on the walbro carb not being very linear and have noticed above 3/4 throttle stick position there is very little if any change in rpm and most of the change in rpm is from 0 to 25% stick movement on a transmitter without throttle curve. I am also looking forward to being able to mix aileron and independent elevator half movement to aid in turning, that will be a whole new learning curve for me!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 AM
tarsier

Good job on the video reviews, they are very helpful.

What I have not found in the online manual or in any of the published pictures is whether the DX8 has a trainer port.  Does it have the 3.5 mm jack like other Spektrum models?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The DX8 uses the same trainer connection as the other Spektrum radios as well as JR.

It supports both Pilot Link and Programmable Master modes. (Programmable Master allows you to control which servos the slave controls).

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

rmh,
The Throttle movement on the Walbro type carb we use on gas engines is not Linear. Using Throttle Curves, in the Tx programming, makes it behave more Linearly.
Unless you FIRST attach linkage so that the trim has some good value- the rest of the setup is goofy.
Please read my comment again you reversed my explanation-
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Is there a sailplane model type for the DX8?

DR
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: FLPilot

Is there a sailplane model type for the DX8?

DR
Yeh -it's called the 10X
The 8 will do some neat stuff BUT it does not have a few items the hard core sailpane guys are used to having Specifically: bat wing trimmers (one each side of tx)
The rest of the sailplane tricks can be programmed in - As an example - the DX8/Radian Pro setup
you can do reflex/spoiler-crow as well as the normal stuff
The absence of the trimmers make on the spot adjustments to these functions, impossible
The JR9395 has all this stuff so do other brands .
The DX8 is still -my opinion -the best all around tx available- it does Bind n fry and Model Match as well as lots of programming functions
For me - no Bind n Fly and no Model Match- is a No Go setup.
I am not embarrassed to say I find these features mandatory in todays' "general use"radio.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]
Unless you FIRST attach linkage so that the trim has some good value- the rest of the setup is goofy.
Please read my comment again you reversed my explanation-
[/quote]

rmh - I thought I was just reiterating what you had said. I was not trying to contradict you.

I am not sure how I Reversed your explanation.

When did I Reverse your explanation before this?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
rmh

rmh,
Not you - this writer - What I was attempting (done poorly) to say was although you want the servo to move slowly during first part of travel - you need full trim movement for best idle setups
and for landings or start and taxi -
the flying positions - set up for your favorite stick positions-
I fly with rudder constantly and prefer all stick positions grouped close to center
If I had my druthers the total stick travel would be 1/2 of what it is .
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Jolly-Swagman

great Videos Rob, thanks for showing the neat and cool features of the DX8 TX
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rmh,

i like to add a curve that softens the idle to 1/4 throttle(less touchy on certain 3D maneuvers), and also tweak for there to be a big rpm increase from 50% to WOT , that way u know for sure you will see and rpm increase from 75% to WOT

does anyone know how the rpm telemetry works .... is it compatble with dsm2 RXs? does it only record peak rpm?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Rob2160

Thanks for the comments guys..

A follow up...

I just clocked 100 flights with the DX8 now.. (all on the MCPX and the E-Flight Beast) an average of 4 minutes per flight...

It is a beautiful radio to fly with and I think it is perfectly designed ergonomically..

The joystick calibration has remained perfect throughout all flights..

I still love my Futaba 8FG, but I find myself just picking up the DX8, looking at it and holding it a lot more than I did when I bought the 8FG...

How do you quantify that??

Thumbs up from me for the DX8...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBzvGfAKf0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg6H6pSOPLc[/youtube]