Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

11.1 lipo in transmitter

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
plane jocky
My Feedback: (146)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11.1 lipo in transmitter

i have a jr8103 trans with a spektrum mod in it. anyone if i can put a 11.1 lipo in it to power my trans, or will this burn something out .i see the 11.1 lipos for sale for these reasons ,but its more then the nicd that come with the radio . help please thx
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 11.1 lipo in transmitter

ORIGINAL: jpie028

i have a jr 8103 trans with a spektrum mod in it. anyone if i can put a 11.1 lipo in it to power my trans, or will this burn something out .i see the 11.1 lipos for sale for these reasons ,but its more then the nicd that come with the radio . help please thx
I have used 3cell LiPo Tx packs in my XP8103, both of my XP9303's and in a Futaba 8AUPS and 9CAP. Some will say it is safer to install two Diodes, in Series, on the Pos lead to the Tx battery, to drop the voltage. There is a recent thread on this.

You could also use an Eneloop battery or a LiFe battery pack. Both operate at a lower voltage.

I have not had any issues with LiPo packs in any of my Transmitters, and I have been using these packs for several years.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 PM
plane jocky
My Feedback: (146)

thx but are you useing a spektrum mod in it or are you still on a channel thx again
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: jpie028

thx but are you useing a spektrum mod in it or are you still on a channel thx again
I have used the Spektrum Module in all three JR radios. I do not believe it matters whether you are using a Spektrum Module, a 72Mhz Synthesizer Module, or an RF Module on a specific channel, as far as which type of battery you use. I have been using all three types of RF Modules with all three JR radios.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
marcin-rc

So, look like they talk about this DIODE (volt reg) in this auction ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=p5197.c0.m619
if you will install DIODE (its one way) tou will not charger this correct. Charger will not detect battery - only balancer. Total voltage will be not awailable
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TX Lipo I just bought came with JR, Futaba, and JST connectors on it.

I figure I can put the diodes in the JR lead, use the Futaba or JST lead for charging / voltage checking. (it's in my DX7 right now, might put it in my 8103)

Right now I have no diodes in it, but I stopped the LiPo charge at 12.0 V when I charged it, rather than going to the full 12.6V. Yeah, the capacity might be a little less, but it helps keep a little heat out of the internal radio voltage regulators.

In a linear voltage regulator (non-switching) all of the excess voltage gets turned into heat in the regulator. Keeping the voltage down a volt or two just helps keep things from getting too warm.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM
BuschBarber

I charge through the Balancing Tap on the LiPo battery and I usually remove it from the Transmitter to charge it. The voltage of the battery is displayed correctly on the Transmitter's LCD display.