Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10 - Fight!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10 - Fight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Partok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10 - Fight!

Hi to All,

Well, I've saved my pennies and now the time is here. I've never reached out for opinions on stuff like this before.

I've been flying a 2.5 year old Multiplex EasyStar up to now. And am now hooked on rc but admit I know very little about shopping for and programming radio systems, but I am learning. My EasyStar was the RTF model so I have zero experience installing rc equipment into a model. But I feel my 72mhz FM tx that came with my EasyStar is a bit outdated and I'm worried about getting 'shot down'. And so I'm taking the steps to switching to 2.4ghz.

I want an rc tx that has room for growth so I'm looking at 8+ channel systems. This way no matter what model I get in the future I'll have enough channels to fly it. Plus I figure that when comes the time to sell the system, I'll have better luck with this rather than some 5 or 6 channel system.

I've read the features lists on these radios, but need more 'practical knowledge' from actual users. What are the pros/cons of systems by Hitec, Futaba, Spektrum, or Airtronics? Things such as price, ease of setup, programming, reliability, model memories, etc.

Features like telemetry are cool, but someday I'd like to get into FPV so I can get all that info from an OSD system. So I guess having info sent to my tx isn't really that important to me. I do like the idea of tx's that use SD memory cards for expansion and software updates though.

So, What do you guys think? Which of these would you buy? And why? Ideas? Suggestions? - Rob

Radios I'm looking at: Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, and the Airtronics SD-10
Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10 - Fight!

The Spektrum DX8 has max of 8ch's the Futaba 8FG has 12ch's + 2 on/off ch's. So if more channels
are better somthing to think about. I have the Airtronics SD-10G myself and I think its a good choice.

I think for the price it's hard to beat the SD-10G with 10 full ch's. With the 8FG you have to purchase
a 14 ch receiver to acess the extra ch's or go with the sbus set up.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10 - Fight!

My thoughts on a similar issue (I don't own any of these yet, just based on lots of shopping and thinking)

The SD10 - lots of features, but it's too "fat" to fit comfortably in my hands, and I didn't like the teeny little trim levers.

Aurora 9 - pretty nice, lots of nooks and crannies to keep clean on the transmitter. While you hear of lots of success with them, as an engineer I'm not sold on the one antenna concept of the 6ch and 7ch receivers. The 9ch uses two.

Futaba 8FG. Nice radio, lots of flexibility, good reputation - and expensive receivers. It feels a little "slick" in my hands, but I think I could get used to that. I also noted that when I held it, and was giving full down elevator / left aileron, my fingers would bump into the bezel and limit stick movement. I fly using thumb and finger grasping the stick. This was at a hobby store, and I didn't get to try experimenting with adjusting stick length.

Spektrum DX8. Nice feel, the rubberized sides give a secure feeling. Lots of features, but no channel expansion (that I am aware of) like the 8FG - if that's a big issue for you. While the receivers are pricey, they aren't as bad as the Futaba receivers. SD card updates, the new DSMX looks good, and I like the fact that they maintained compatibility with all the DSM2 receivers.

Number of channels isn't a big deal for me, I have no interest in building giant planes with dozens of servos or scale planes with lots of features. I mostly fly race planes, 4 channels, so transmitter feel and location of controls is one of my prime interests.

If I had to pick today, I'd probably get the DX8. But, I don't have to, so I'm watching to see what's coming along. The new DX7s has all the features I'd ever use, and it's quite a bit cheaper than the DX8, so it's a possibility. Oh - both the DX7s and DX8 have telemetry capability, as does the Hitec. It wouldn't surprise me to see Futaba add it to the 8FG before too much longer.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM
JIMF14D

Well one simple TM feature is very useful: Down link of battery voltage and associated TX alarm warning. Particularly good with the Hitec design if you do EP aircraft. In that case you can run Rx from up to 30 volt lipo and downlink battery voltage to TX. This has alerted me to low battery conditions several times. Also will beep under hard manuvering if battery is being pulled down by servo loads below your set limit.

Hitec has it on Aurora 9 system. Take a look. Can be had for $325 with tons of features including bullet proof AFSS RF link and relatively low Rx prices.

Have fun
Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Partok Hi to All,
Well, I've saved my pennies and now the time is here. I've never reached out for opinions on stuff like this before.
I've been flying a 2.5 year old Multiplex EasyStar up to now. And am now hooked on rc but admit I know very little about shopping for and programming radio systems, but I am learning. My EasyStar was the RTF model so I have zero experience installing rc equipment into a model. But I feel my 72mhz FM tx that came with my EasyStar is a bit outdated and I'm worried about getting 'shot down'. And so I'm taking the steps to switching to 2.4ghz.
I want an rc tx that has room for growth so I'm looking at 8+ channel systems. This way no matter what model I get in the future I'll have enough channels to fly it. Plus I figure that when comes the time to sell the system, I'll have better luck with this rather than some 5 or 6 channel system.
I've read the features lists on these radios, but need more 'practical knowledge' from actual users. What are the pros/cons of systems by Hitec, Futaba, Spektrum, or Airtronics? Things such as price, ease of setup, programming, reliability, model memories, etc.
Features like telemetry are cool, but someday I'd like to get into FPV so I can get all that info from an OSD system. So I guess having info sent to my tx isn't really that important to me. I do like the idea of tx's that use SD memory cards for expansion and software updates though.
So, What do you guys think? Which of these would you buy? And why? Ideas? Suggestions? - Rob
Radios I'm looking at: Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG Super, Spektrum DX8, and the Airtronics SD-10
Aurora 9ch - Video - 7 Video Walkthrough of Set Ups - Dashboard, Heli, Glider, Acro etc.
A quick look atany one of the video will quickly convince viewers that the Aurora is the easiest of all to set up/use.
Also referred to as being the most user friendly intwo recent polls, on this and another major forum, which provide the Aurora 9 with more votes than the combined total of the 2nd & 3rd preferences.

Aurora 9 receives more votes than the combined total of the next two popular systems:
RCU Poll -Which New 2.4 Transmitter Would You Choose?
RCG Poll - Which radio would YOU buy

A user's comparison & review of the DX8 <> Aurora 9 :
Hitec Aurora 9 vs Spektrum DX8

Concerned about the number of other brand receivers still held?
A Spectra Pro 72Mhz module is available, all frequencies can be selected/changed on the Aurora's screen.
Spectra 2.4GHz module - Spektrum DIY with DM8 for MZ and DC/DC converter.

Aurora 9 - Software Wish List Thread - users requests for extra aids to be added -
Hitec provide regular free firmware updatesto accomodate requests/suggestions

many more questions such as
Aurora 9 - Trainer - Selective all 9Ch Pass-Through & RSSI Information

answered on associated RCU Forum - Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
DougV

Partok: Here's another poll. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10495061/tm.htm

Doug.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Partok

Thanks A.T. you've given me some good info. 5 stars. - Rob
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Pippin

If you do not like the silver shiny Airtronics SD-10, just wait for the new "super" SD-10:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47946.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1609543  
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

That looks awesome. We need a new thread on it.