Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Virtual caller

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Virtual caller

Maybe there is a radio that already does this, but would it not be really cool to have a transmitter that could play MP3 files to an ear bud to us pilots to call out our next manuevers? I saw a guy at the feild that had rigged one of these with little buttons that he attached to his TX for IMAC practice. I think it would be cool to have something like this built into the radio. Anyone know of anything like this? Maybe we could bring it to a radio manufacturers attention to add it to a future radio? With telemetry as well, this could even be used for pylon racing with a sensor at pylon one for more accuarate calling? Oh the possibilities!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Virtual caller

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Maybe there is a radio that already does this, but would it not be really cool to have a transmitter that could play MP3 files to an ear bud to us pilots to call out our next manuevers? I saw a guy at the feild that had rigged one of these with little buttons that he attached to his TX for IMAC practice. I think it would be cool to have something like this built into the radio. Anyone know of anything like this? Maybe we could bring it to a radio manufacturers attention to add it to a future radio? With telemetry as well, this could even be used for pylon racing with a sensor at pylon one for more accuarate calling? Oh the possibilities!
I would think the Futaba 18MZ might have that option.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
vertical grimmace

Where did you see that? I see nothing in any ad for that capability.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Where did you see that? I see nothing in any ad for that capability.
http://www.futabarc.com/systems/18mz.html

If you read down the list, it says "It includes versatile “internal memory”. It’s not just for model/setup data; it can also be used for sound and picture files."
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
k_caller

Yes, although no longer in production this is one of the great features provided with the Futaba 14MZ and now followed by the 18MZ. And... it works! Be sure to use an ear plug or a good headset to drown out the noise of other planes flying. I use the ear plug to hear the calls in one ear and from the other to hear if anyone informs me of 'sightseeers' standing at the end or side of the field watching the action. Additionally, I programmed it to use a sound file for various switch actions, eg choke on/off, ail hi/lo, flaps, etc, etc.
[8D]Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: k_caller

Yes, although no longer in production this is one of the great features provided with the Futaba 14MZ and now followed by the 18MZ. And... it works! Be sure to use an ear plug or a good headset to drown out the noise of other planes flying. I use the ear plug to hear the calls in one ear and from the other to hear if anyone informs me of 'sightseeers' standing at the end or side of the field watching the action. Additionally, I programmed it to use a sound file for various switch actions, eg choke on/off, ail hi/lo, flaps, etc, etc.
[8D]Good luck!
No longer in production? Tower still has aircraft and heli type 14MZs in stock....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=14mz

Woodie
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Well that is good news. Then with the telemetry capability of the 18mz, maybe I can get my pylon calling with the aid of some GPS?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

VG, that would be awesome!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
k_caller

Thanks for pointing out that mistake. Last time I was at my LHS he said Robbe (German Importer) had taken them off the market because so few had sold. However, checking on the Robbe website, I see them still being offered but not yet the 18MZ. The price has not dropped either- it lists at
T-14 MZ + R6014 HS 2.4 G M2 2.714,00 € Inkl. Taxes [X(] That's over 3800$$ !!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Charlie P.

My MP3 player records & would play back if you could figure the timing.  Maybe record a caller during a flight.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
daven

I don't think that would fly in pylon my friends
Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 PM
vertical grimmace

I was thinking more for practice. If the GPS knows where the pylon is, then it could alert me that I have reached it. I am aware it would not be used in oficial events. I am a scale flyer as well, and it would be nice to have this to call out my next manuevers in practice. I am thinking of this as a practice tool only. Not for actual competition where a real caller is available.
I just purchased an Aurora 9 TX. This has these capabilities as well and for a fraction of the Futaba price. We shall see where this goes.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Charlie P.

Seeing a GPS is accurate to 30 meters on a bad day to 3 on a good day (unless it has WAAS, DGPS or AGPS circuitry) you may be turning well inside the pylon.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
vertical grimmace

There may be another way of indicating position.