Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum slow link!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
gofast53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum slow link!

Have a Spectrum DX5E AND 6200 reciever, lately I have noticed that it sometimes can take a good 12 sec to link up and for lights to come on solid. I am switching transmitter on first followed by reciever. It has only started doing this since we moved into winter, though we are only talking of around 10 degrees celcius. Is low temperature the cause of this, should I be concerned?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Zor
Banned

Default RE: Spectrum slow link!

gofast53,

Here in canada, Southern Ontario minus 10 C would be considered cold.

I will not tell you what to check. If I did I would never know if you know what to check.

What did you check ?

Zor
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
gofast53

Have checked that all leads are plugged in correctly to reciever and that battery pack is fully charged. Have also checked satellite and connector cable. When you switch reciever on LED flickers then nothing happens for a good 12 secs (sometimes even longer) then LED comes on solid to indicate link completed. Have never had thos problem up to now, reciever has only had 4 flights on it since new 3 mths ago. Currently using it in a GP Giant Stick with a DLE 20 GASSER, reciever is mounted agood 15 inches away from ignition and battery pack and all servo power wires are run away from reciever. Satellite mounted at 90 degrees to reciever.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Jezmo

Zor either help the guy or move on. It matters not whether he knows what to check for, you are only belittling him making him feel as though you are somehow superior in knowledge. If you know, tell him, if not, say so and move on or better yet if you don't know just move on.

Yes, you should be concerned to an extent. It could be as simple as more 2.4 wireless devices coming to your area. Think cordless phones, wireless routers, etc. Each of these devices use the same frequency as the RC radio and each must play nicely with the other. When you first turn your tranmitter on it spends some time scanning for two clear "channels" on which to transmit. It may find these rather quickly if there are no other 2.4 devices nearby or in the case of heavy spectrum saturation it may have to scan the full range to find two open channels to begin transmitting on. Only after this process can the receiver "Link" and begin operating. While I do not own the DX5 I do have a number of small planes and a TREX 450 heli with the AR6200. I've flown these in temps as cold as 30 degs F without any change in link time. The only noticeable issue was the LiPo batteries don't like the cold and therefore have difficulties maintaining output current. A battery that normally can easily hover my plane for many minutes at a time can barely get it off the ground for more than a few minutes at a time.

As a test, see what happens when you try to link up inside your warm house with the transmitter and receiver at room temp. Then take everything outside in the cold for a period of time to let it cold soak then immediately bring it back in the house where it's in the same radio environment and try the link test again with the radio parts still cold. That could help determine the cause of your link issues. Good luck finding the problem and hopefully some other folks with actual DX5 experience can chime in. I only have the DX7 and DX8i.

P.S. Be sure and let the batteries cold soak as well to make sure they are not part of the problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Zor
Banned

Red inserts by Zor.

ORIGINAL: gofast53

Have checked that all leads are plugged in correctly to reciever and that battery pack is fully charged.
A fully charged battery pack does not drop enough in voltage at 10 C to be a problem.

Have also checked satellite and connector cable. When you switch reciever on LED flickers then nothing happens for a good 12 secs (sometimes even longer) then LED comes on solid to indicate link completed. Have never had thos problem up to now, reciever has only had 4 flights on it since new 3 mths ago.
I am guessing that beside the 4 flights youhadmade many checks (tests) before to realize the time increase for the leds to come on solid.

Currently using it in a GP Giant Stick with a DLE 20 GASSER, reciever is mounted agood 15 inches away from ignition and battery pack and all servo power wires are run away from reciever. Satellite mounted at 90 degrees to reciever.
The 90 degrees is preferably not in the same plane but as much as possible in a plane 90 degrees with the planeof the main receiver antenna.
I suspect from the beginning that you have experienced some intermittent strong signal that comes on and saturates your receiver and delay it when that strong signal comes on.

If the receiver now keeps on taking that long all the timeI suggest you get your receiver checked by the service center.

Zor

Note: Edited 03 June 2011 at 08:18 to correct many spelling error due to reply problems yesterday.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM
gofast53

Thanks guys will do some more testing and may also look at getting it checked out. Have tried an AR500 in same setup and it works fine, but do not want to use this in current plane as have heard bad feedback about this model of reciever.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Zor
Banned

Jezmo,

I did not seethat you told the fellow what was the possible cause of the problem.

You seemto think that a fully charged battery pack as he reported can drop below minimum voltage requirements at plus 10 degrees centigrade.

Perhaps you can move on an come fly here at minus 10 C. .

Zor
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: Zor

Jezmo,

I did not see that you told the fellow what was the possible cause of the problem.

You seem to think that a fully charged battery pack as he reported can drop below minimum voltage requirements at plus 10 degrees centigrade.

Perhaps you can move on an come fly here at minus 10 C. [img][/img] .

Zor
ORIGINAL: Zor
gofast53,

Here in canada, Southern Ontario minus 10 C would be considered cold.

I will not tell you what to check. If I did I would never know if you know what to check.

What did you check ?

Zor
Be very careful Zor. I said no such thing. I never mentioned voltage, only current. I am NOT the one who chose to try and belittle him by saying and I quote yet again for clarity "I will not tell you what to check. If I did I would never know if you know what to check." and instead offered him help. Go back and reread your first post #2, then crawl back in your dream.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Zor
Banned

Jezmo
Be very careful Zor. I said no such thing. I never mentioned voltage, only current. I am NOT the one who chose to try and belittle him by saying and I quote yet again for clarity "I will not tell you what to check. If I did I would never know if you know what to check." and instead offered him help. Go back and reread your first post #2, then crawl back in your dream.
Jezmo,

Agreed you only mentined current which of course is the result of applying voltage on a circuit that has impedance.

The cold temperature may either decrease the voltage generated by chemical action in the batteries or increase their internal resistance or both.

I think we both know that in this case it is not likely to be a delay in binding due to temperatures down to as low as zero degree centigrade or even lower.

I was curious what he had checked as a measure of his knowledge and experience.
There was no harm done.

I will be curious if this particular receiver is the cause since he said he had no problem with another receiver.

If the problem with this receiver disappear, then it is likely to have been caused by an overloading stray signal which you also suspected.

Let us see the results of his further tests.

Zor
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Zor
Banned

Jezmo,

We have not seen any response in over a week.

Let's hope he has found the reason of the binding delay and a solution.

Zor
Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
gofast53

Problem resolved, ended up being that I was too close to a large tin shed we have at our flying field.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM
cuwaert

So I learned to check the environment to when I have connection trouble.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Metal shelves, sheds, pickup truck beds etc can all cause linking issues. As can holding the transmitter too close to the model while linking.