Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba Transmitters

Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
AussieDom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Futaba Transmitters

Hello,

I'm returning to the hobby after a 16 year hiatus (I didn't have much experience / time in the hobbyto begin with though). I always wanted to build a WW2 scale model so I'm about to start building a Top Flite Sea Fury to cut my teeth, followed by a Vailly Tempest. In the meantime Ifigured Imay as well build a stick and start flying again.

So on to my question; I'm not in a rush to start flying again, and have no TX(well an old JR Max66 but batteries are probably toast and it's well before 2.4Ghz era) or old recieversetc. I was looking at buying a new TX, that being a Futaba 12FG, however Inote the recent upgrade to the 8FG and the release of the 18MZ and am wondering if it would be best to wait until Futaba inevitably release updates/new mid-range TX'sto replace the 12FG / 10CAG etc. I don't want to buy a 12FGand then have it be superceded 6months later. I want to buy something thatwill keep me happy for the foreseeable future and begood for the Tempest etc.

The 12FGwas released about 2006? So is it likely to be upgraded soon? Historically, how long do Futaba generally keep a TXin production?I know these questions are not easily answered as Futaba are likely to keep everything close to their chest, however I'm seeking peoples general opinion. Should Iwait? Could Ibe waiting 6months? 1year?1+years? Like I said I'm not in a rush because it's more about building for me at the moment, but wouldn't mind flying in the mean time and will buy a 12FG if the general feeling is that it will still be a current model for 1+years. With all the telemetry stuff coming out etc and the fact that the 8FGhas closed the gap to the 12FG I figure they have to release a new model soon right?

Dumb question?

Cheers, Dom

Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New Futaba Transmitters

ORIGINAL: AussieDom

Hello,

I'm returning to the hobby after a 16 year hiatus (I didn't have much experience / time in the hobby to begin with though). I always wanted to build a WW2 scale model so I'm about to start building a Top Flite Sea Fury to cut my teeth, followed by a Vailly Tempest. In the meantime I figured I may as well build a stick and start flying again.

So on to my question; I'm not in a rush to start flying again, and have no TX (well an old JR Max66 but batteries are probably toast and it's well before 2.4Ghz era) or old recievers etc. I was looking at buying a new TX, that being a Futaba 12FG, however I note the recent upgrade to the 8FG and the release of the 18MZ and am wondering if it would be best to wait until Futaba inevitably release updates/new mid-range TX's to replace the 12FG / 10CAG etc. I don't want to buy a 12FG and then have it be superceded 6months later. I want to buy something that will keep me happy for the foreseeable future and be good for the Tempest etc.

The 12FG was released about 2006? So is it likely to be upgraded soon? Historically, how long do Futaba generally keep a TX in production? I know these questions are not easily answered as Futaba are likely to keep everything close to their chest, however I'm seeking peoples general opinion. Should I wait? Could I be waiting 6months? 1year? 1+years? Like I said I'm not in a rush because it's more about building for me at the moment, but wouldn't mind flying in the mean time and will buy a 12FG if the general feeling is that it will still be a current model for 1+years. With all the telemetry stuff coming out etc and the fact that the 8FG has closed the gap to the 12FG I figure they have to release a new model soon right?

Dumb question?

Cheers, Dom

I would not hesitate to buy the 8FG if you are going with Futaba. It is capable of expanding the number of channels beyond 8. The Spektrum DX8, Hitec Aurora 9, and Airtronics SD10G are also good choices and are very affordable.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

just dont buy a spectrum! yet another bulletin concerning a HOLD ...a.k.a a crashed plane!after 2 consecutive costly crashes I returned to futaba and have never had any ,nada , frequency issues.At least to spectrums credit this time they admitted there is a problem.I got tired of arguing with them .Fasst tech is supposedly old technology but then again it works.

you wont go wrong with an 8channel and if you can afford a 10 by all means go for it.I have 2 7C2.4's and am very content.rx's a bit pricey but if you hard enough you can get some good discounted pricing.just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Pippin

There is not much Futaba could put into the 8FG-12FG range. The 12FG software is very user friendly. Also, the 10C can do most things almost all of us would ask for. It would be my favourite.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
AussieDom

Thanks for the replies. I want to go with Futaba as it seems that they are the most reliable of the major brands.
I agree that the 8fg would do everything I need but I'm not a fan of the looks and am happy to spend more on a 12fg, however, given that the 8fg has been upgraded to do almost everything the 12 does, and given the 12 has been out since 2006, I'm thinking the 12 will get an upgrade soon or be superseded and if so I'd rather wait. Do you think that this is likely to happen within the next 12 months?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
DougV

I agree that the 8fg would do everything I need but I'm not a fan of the looks and am happy to spend more on a 12fg, however, given that the 8fg has been upgraded to do almost everything the 12 does, and given the 12 has been out since 2006, I'm thinking the 12 will get an upgrade soon or be superseded and if so I'd rather wait. Do you think that this is likely to happen within the next 12 months?
Yes. I'm pretty sure that we will see a big upgrade to the 12 series radios soon.

When it comes to mixes and programming, the 12FG is way ahead (more advanced) than the 8FG. The 12FG also has better gimbals, but the 8FG is faster (Letancy) than the 12FG.

I also like that the 8FG is lighter compared to the 12.

My opinion,
Doug.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 AM
AussieDom

Guess I'll be patient and wait until a replacement for the 12 fg is released. Winter has just started here in any case. I have plenty of building to get stuck into in the meantime (not to mention work on a new house). Thanks for the advise and opinions.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: DougV

Yes. I'm pretty sure that we will see a big upgrade to the 12 series radios soon.

When it comes to mixes and programming, the 12FG is way ahead (more advanced) than the 8FG. The 12FG also has better gimbals, but the 8FG is faster (Letancy) than the 12FG.

I also like that the 8FG is lighter compared to the 12.

My opinion,
Doug.
I've never played with a 12Fg so I don't know what the mixing options look like, but I do have a 8FG and I believe for 98% of us, it will do more than any of us will ever need.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Silent-AV8R

Here's a handy reference to compare the various Futaba transmitters

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/feature-compare.html

THe biggest difference between the 8FG and the 12-14 radios is the number and availability of flight conditions.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Roguedog

I was in the market for a new Futaba radio and was looking into the new 8FG super, so I called Hobbico tech support (Futaba Tech support) to ask about the new 8FGS. Problem is no one from hobbico tech support can explain to me how the software change from the 8FG to the 8FGS allows for controlling the extra channels e.g there is no channel 8 thru 14in the menus.

When I asked if the 8FGS software adds six new channels I was told no. So my next question was then how can you say it adds channels? At this point thepersonthat'ssupposed to know started to get irritated with me. That fact alone caused me two think twice about this supposed new technology. If you advertise that your 8 channel radiohas 6 extra channels doesn't that make it a 14 channel radio? If so, why advertise it as an 8 channel radio. If not why the H#@$ are you trying to market to mean 8 channel plus 6 channel radio when in fact it is not?

After that round of questions which I have to say left me more confused about the new 8FGS's features then I wasbefore I talked with the tech,I then asked the tech why Futaba is adding the FHSS 2.4 gig technology to there lineup if FASST was superior technology? His response was to make theirentry level radio's less expensive. Too which I replied does it work with the other FHSStechology already available and his repose was no. I next asked if I already had FASST technology was it compatible? Too which he said no. At this point I'm totally confused to why Futaba would do such a thing and asked why would Futaba wouldwant to muddy the waters with two different technologies which at this point the tech in the know was definitly quite irritated with me. I continued to ask questions about whether or not this new technology would be added to their top end radios and was told not at this time.

Bottom line here isthatI could not get a clear answer as to how the new channels on the8FGS work and feel Futaba is floundering in which direction they want to go with this new technology.I am also going to wait to see if they update the 10C 12FG and 12Z to this new additive technology and to see some posts about it here as far as the pros and cons. I suspect they will not with the addition of their new 18 channel radio. Can anybody enlighten me on 8FGS?

No new Futaba's for me in the for seeable future.
Bryan
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

I sort of see your point, but when you call "tech support" you are really contacting the repair guys. This is like calling the service department at a car dealer and asking the service technician to explain the key features of a new car. He can tell you the technical features but he may not be aware of all the customer benefits.

As far as the new 8FGS, or the original 8FG, the software update gives you a new selection in the frequency menu. it is called Multi2. This activates the full 14 channels.

BTW, the new 18MZ is fully compatible with FHSS, FASST and FASSTest transmission protocols.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

I was in the market for a new Futaba radio and was looking into the new 8FG super, so I called Hobbico tech support (Futaba Tech support) to ask about the new 8FGS. Problem is no one from hobbico tech support can explain to me how the software change from the 8FG to the 8FGS allows for controlling the extra channels e.g there is no channel 8 thru 14 in the menus.

When I asked if the 8FGS software adds six new channels I was told no. So my next question was then how can you say it adds channels? At this point the person that's supposed to know started to get irritated with me. That fact alone caused me two think twice about this supposed new technology. If you advertise that your 8 channel radio has 6 extra channels doesn't that make it a 14 channel radio? If so, why advertise it as an 8 channel radio. If not why the H#@$ are you trying to market to me an 8 channel plus 6 channel radio when in fact it is not?

After that round of questions which I have to say left me more confused about the new 8FGS's features then I was before I talked with the tech, I then asked the tech why Futaba is adding the FHSS 2.4 gig technology to there lineup if FASST was superior technology? His response was to make their entry level radio's less expensive. Too which I replied does it work with the other FHSS techology already available and his repose was no. I next asked if I already had FASST technology was it compatible? Too which he said no. At this point I'm totally confused to why Futaba would do such a thing and asked why would Futaba would want to muddy the waters with two different technologies which at this point the tech in the know was definitly quite irritated with me. I continued to ask questions about whether or not this new technology would be added to their top end radios and was told not at this time.

Bottom line here is that I could not get a clear answer as to how the new channels on the 8FGS work and feel Futaba is floundering in which direction they want to go with this new technology. I am also going to wait to see if they update the 10C 12FG and 12Z to this new additive technology and to see some posts about it here as far as the pros and cons. I suspect they will not with the addition of their new 18 channel radio. Can anybody enlighten me on 8FGS?

No new Futaba's for me in the for seeable future.
Bryan
Check out this thread!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10566162
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM
BuschBarber

Here is another thread!!

http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5841
Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm...We had a series of questions, some of which cannot be answered by anyone but the Futaba people in Japan.

The Futaba 8FG transmitter became the 8FG Super when Futaba changed the programming to allow it to transmit a full 14 channels, 12 proportional channels and 2 two-position channels. There were also a few heli features added.

Naming can be anything. It's basically the same transmitter that it originally was, but the virtual channels are eliminated when you go to the MULT2 setting, but you then add 4 more transmitter channels. Remember, the 8FG always had 8 proportional channels and 2 two-position channels.

Yes, with the update to make it a "Super", the 8FG now has 14 transmitted channels versus 10 originally. They had to name it something, so it was originally named the 8FG, after the 8 fully-proportional channels. Naming the upgraded version the "Super" is better than calling it a 14 "junior" or something....regardless, you have more options.

FHSS is a new transmitting protocol that is less expensive to manufacture, so new entry-level units will have it. All of the air FHSS systems will be inter-compatible. The new 18MZ will incorporate FHSS as one of the transmission options. You will not be able to operate an air FHSS system with a ground FHSS system.

If you have an 8FG Super, you can access the new channels by changing the output from FASST-Multi to FASST-Multi2 in the Frequency section of the Linkage Menu. This does eliminate the virtual channels, though. It all depends upon what you want to do with your system and how you're programming your transmitter.

We're not sure what you mean when you say you want to know how they work. When Mult2 is selected, you have 12 proportional channels to allocate however you desire, and 2 two-position channels to do the same. The tranmitter works just like before, except you've added 4 more proportional channels that can be allocated to any stick, knob, switch, or lever...as you desire.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
rfk1381
My Feedback: (7)

The FutabaRC.com website has the downloadable 8FGS manual for you to check the details for how the additional channels are provided.

As Bax explained the 8FGS uses two control configurations for the additional channels MULTI and MULT2. In the MULTI mode it looks like it uses the same channel control scheme as my 12FG. In the 12FG there are 8 standard proportional channels (the standard configuration for most 8 channel transmitters) plus an additional 6 "virtual" channels that can be linked and mixed with an amazing number of pre-programmed selectable wing/tail configurations, or they can be free mixed to existing channels to provide additional control to parallel servos or additional functions, or they can be activated by selectable switches or even "software switches". Pretty powerful design that will do more than I can imagine.

The major differences between the 8FGS and the 12FG are that the 12FG has 8 flight conditions for each and every programmed model, while the 8FGS has one flight condition for standard fixed-wing type powered airplane models and 5 conditions for sailplane-type programmed models (not sure about whirlybird type models). The 12FG has more available free mixes, more programmable points in each programmable curve, 2 more trim controls (6 total) and some more programmable features (which most RC flyers will never use in a lifetime.)

For the vast majority of us RC flyers the 8FGS is a remarkable transmitter with a boat-load of programmable features that more than satisfy any and all foreseeable future needs.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Silent-AV8R

In addition to the transmitter comparison chart that I posted in post #9 above, you can also access all the Futaba manuals here:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/downloads/manuals.html
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Bax

ORIGINAL: rfk1381
In the 12FG there are 8 standard proportional channels (the standard configuration for most 8 channel transmitters) plus an additional 6 ''virtual'' channels that can be linked and mixed with an amazing number of pre-programmed selectable wing/tail configurations, or they can be free mixed to existing channels to provide additional control to parallel servos or additional functions, or they can be activated by selectable switches or even ''software switches''. Pretty powerful design that will do more than I can imagine.
The 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ all have 12 fully-proportional channels, 2 two-position channels (called 'digital' channels), and 4 virtual channels. All can be set to operate from any stick, knob, switch, or slider on the transmitter. What you use is entirely up to you. You can even set up a main control and a trim control for all channels except the digital channels. The only problem there, is you can easily run out of control activators (stick, knob, switch, or slider) if you try to do too much.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 AM
forrest gump

Bax,I have a 12fg and 8fg.....the $1000000 dollar question which will change my life for ever is ..Will the 8fg and 12fg with software upgrades be able to control the FHSS receivers.This is the question I think we are all asking too.

I have a friend who is on the verge of an 12fg purchase but only if it will do FHSS like the 18mz will,software wise.

Even a "eventually we will release software to do this for the 8 and 12 fg" will suffice to allow purchase.......If you dont know could you ,from your knowledge of the 18mz software and hardware,advise with an inteligent guess as wether there is Hardware needed to talk to FHSS on an existing FASST tx....thanks...FG
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Bax

Futaba hasn't said what may or may not be in store for future software changes in their existing systems. They don't discuss things until they're ready to make a public announcement.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Pippin

forrest gump,

Futaba in Japan offers S-FHSS T10 radio sets: http://www.f-sangyo.co.jp/shop/goods...=4513886023064

Looks like there are S-FHSS modules available.