Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking for a new Transmitter.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 AM
ozzieflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new Transmitter.

I have a JR 10x, had for years, and love it. Added the Spektrum module, and while I haven't had any major issues (yet) quite a few guys in my club have lost Spektrum models to un-explained radio lock outs.

Back when I bought my JR 10x, I had money, was flying Pattern etc (must have had, I think the radio was approx $1600 Au in 1998). Now family committments has trimmed the modeling budget, but technology has kept the gap closer.

Any way, I want to know what people think if I move to a 8FGS form a JR10x.

I like the Futaba 2.4 hz system, so my next radio will be a Futaba.

I looked at the more expensive 12FG, and it crtainly is an option but I really like the backlit 8FGS screen.

I mainly fly sports, warbirds (hence find the JR with the Spektrum module, that 9 Channels isn't enough), and still some pattern as a hobby. Looked at the A9, it's ok, but I don't really like the Tranny feel that much.
Telemetry would be nice, but is not a show stopper.

Programability for mixes etc JR 10x versus the 8FGS?

Flight modes?

Easy of programing? ( I did have a second hand 9ZAP prior to the JR, it was a bit of a challenge).

One thing I want to also know, I want to run a twin engine with 2 throttle servos, with the option to "mix" each servo, so I can individually balance each engine. Is this possible?
Gimballs, are the 8FGS as good as the JR 10x, (which even after 13 years ar fantastic)?
I always use genuine Rx's,and even though the Futaba's are going to cost me a bit, I don't indulge in third party "Hobby King" Specials. I don't understand the logic in putting a $10-20 (say Orange() receiver in my $8-900 plane.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Aussie Down Under.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a new Transmitter.

I know you didn't mention it as a choice but have you looked at the Airtronics SD-10G? The Futaba is a great radio but you might save a few bucks and pick up some features with the SD-10G.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you're used to the 10x, the 11x is an outstanding radio and you'll already be familiar with a lot of the programming concepts.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If you're used to the 10x, the 11x is an outstanding radio and you'll already be familiar with a lot of the programming concepts.
Yes looked at the 11X, but hate the look of it. I know thats not really a reason, but welll.

Also, I want to get away from the Spektrum DSM type of 2.4 ghz system.
Had toooooo many close calls with it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
CustomPC

Futaba make a FASST module that fits in your 10X.

They are sold under the Hobbico, ripmax and Robbe brands.

That is another option to consider.

Have you considered Multiplex? Their M-Link 2.4Ghz system is great and there is good local support in AU.
They'll also have a Module for JR that will fit your 10X later this year.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that module has been discontinued by Hobbico here in the states, at least, due to low demand.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
ozzieflyer

Some more info too on my choice process.
I have even looked at teh Hitec Module which is due in Australia shortly for the JR, but I also fly petrol, and the recent Hitec/Optic kill issue reported all over the forums has really made me go for the Futaba 2.4 ghz system,
so it's down to "Which model Tranny?".
Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

Some more info too on my choice process.
I have even looked at teh Hitec Module which is due in Australia shortly for the JR, but I also fly petrol, and the recent Hitec/Optic kill issue reported all over the forums has really made me go for the Futaba 2.4 ghz system,
so it's down to ''Which model Tranny?''.
That Kill Switch issue does not occur with all Fiber Optic Kill switches. I think you will find that at some point in time, all manufacturer's radios will experience issues that are subsequently resolved by the manufacturer. If you run from one manufacturer to another every time an issue is reported, you will never find peace.

No matter what anyone says, there is no RC radio manufacturer that is immune from problems.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 AM
wcmorrison

Look at the Hitec Aurora.  It is super easy to program, can be updated via the internet, and one can update the 7/9 receivers too.  But I like the programming.  All touch screen and pretty straight forward and easy to do.  I think it costs a little less than Futaba and the receivers are really inexpensive.

Chip
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Had a 10x converted to 2.4 and sold it last fall.

I hate the looks of the 11x but it's really a nice radio. The LHS gave us a deal on them $600.00 with a receiver and no servos, couldn't pass it up.
The programming is light years ahead of the old 10x.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 AM
ozzieflyer

My 10 x is converted to a Spektrum module, issue is I now have a model I want to acutally use 10 channels (NEVER thought I would need that many).
I was lucky enough to go to a LHS an have feel of the 8FG, quite liked the screen and the sensor control to program it, the gimballs were "ok", although I think my JR still has better gimbal, but because the 8FGS is so light, it felt a bit like a toy compared to my 10x. Not that being heavy means anything.
Even though money is tight, I don't want to sell myself short if i go for thr 8FGS after having a 10x.

There is the option 12G and 12Z, but they seem "Old" technology, since they use a different programming input method, no backlit screen, (LOVED that featureon the 8FG), PLUS, I really want to move from the "Modular design, where on 2.4 the Tranny aerial always loks like it's tacked on the back. Even the new Aurora has a fly lead up from the module, much the same as what I have got on my 10x now.

At least the original "modular" 36/72 Mhz systems, the actual aerial looked like it really was meant to be there.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 AM
tadawson

Myself, I would absolutely never give up modular . . . it's just too limiting down the road! Modular == "future proof", and non-modular == locked in with no options . . .

- Tim
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Myself, I would absolutely never give up modular . . . it's just too limiting down the road! Modular == ''future proof'', and non-modular == locked in with no options . . .

- Tim
Hm, yes thinking about the modular approach, sees me realizing my 10X was upgradable to 2.4, BECAUSE of the module.

Maybe I will look at the 12G, but I would love the screen to be backlit.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Your resolution is only 1024 on a module system, 2048 on a native 2.4 system.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Myself, I would absolutely never give up modular . . . it's just too limiting down the road! Modular == ''future proof'', and non-modular == locked in with no options . . .

- Tim
I wouldn't think you would be seeing future radios with RF Modules.

Of course the Hitec A9 uses a Modular system. My JR XP9303 uses a Spektrum Module, but since DSMX involves the Model Memory as well as the Module, there is no option to Upgrade to DSMX. That is just an example.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
DougV

The TM-14 FASST module that comes with the 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ Futaba radios has a 2048 resolution in 8 ch mode, 1024 in 7ch mode.

Doug.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

that module has been discontinued by Hobbico here in the states, at least, due to low demand.

So,
this got me thinking.
In Australia, in years gone buy the local Futaba importers let the products down. But now there is a really good agent, and along with that, some really good hobby shops have really started to promote the Futaba range.
The upshot of that is, one of the LHS had a JR10x, so he knows how good it feels, so has convinced me to head towards a 12fg (orZ) or save longer for a 14MZ.

But better stil, he has alerted me to the fact that the Futaba FASST module to suit the JR, is actually a Robbe product, and is readily available.
I can get it locally, or look here.
http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?...emid=P-RM12-MX
You can also get it direct form Robbe, http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.s...1b3e0dc1460649
Postage is quite check from the UK to Australia, approx $15 to Australia. If I bought a Rx from Tower Hobbies, minimum postage is $37.50, never makes sense.

So, now i figure, I can ramp up my Futaba Rx collection, while I save for a Futaba Radio that will be of similar (but obviously improved/better) pedigree of my 10X, and I will benefit from using the FASST system.

So, as usual, these forums really provide great information, ideas and thoughts.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 AM
ozzieflyer

Was looking at receivers etc for Futaba, came across the R617FS, which seems ike it would be a good full range Rx for most sport flying, and my bigger Gas (55 DLE).
But I was sure I read somewhere you can only set the Failsafe for Throttle only.
Now I can't find that info.

Is that right?

Which is no big deal anyway, just having the Throttle go to fail safe (cut) would be fine.
But surely these Rx's would stack up against a Spektrum AR7000 7 ch RX?

Can people comment?
Thanks for help
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
ozzieflyer

Found the info, its in the manual for the FASST module for the JR, form the Robbe site.

Here's some of the info
The fail-safe function is permanently pre-set to Channel 3 (throttle) on
the R 607 FS and R617 FS receivers. Due to differences in servo
assignment sequences between Graupner equipment (throttle channel
1) and robbe/Futaba systems (throttle channel 3), channels 1 and 3 are
interchanged in the software of the HFM 12MX module. As a result it is
necessary to swap over the servo outputs 1 and 3 at the receiver (see
table below).

Since the receiver output assignment of Graupner modules is different
from that of robbe (Futaba) modules, the output assignment must be altered
at the receiver in accordance with the following table

Acro
Channel Graupner Rasst
1 Throttle Aileron
2 Aileron Elevator
3 Elevator Throttle
4 Rudder Rudder

SO
Does this mean the Throttle changes channel BECAUSE of the FASST module? If so, all will be good, but if not, how do I swap the channel in teh JR10x, so that the failsafe makes sense