Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

R617FS Fail Safe and Rx question.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
ozzieflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R617FS Fail Safe and Rx question.

Can somebody confirm that the R617FS Rx only has the throttle set for Fai safe, i.e all other channels are "Hold"?

They seem like good Rx's and as I am moving from Spektrum I need quite a few receivers, to replace my "fleet" so have seen the R617FS's with some good pricing.

OR
Should I go a bit more futureprof and only go fo rthe R6208Sb's etc?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
superflyboy1988

Default RE: R617FS Fail Safe and Rx question.

yes that is right ch 3 is the only fail safe ch
Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: superflyboy1988

yes that is right ch 3 is the only fail safe ch
So accourding to the Robbe FASST module for JR, it seems to say the Fail Safe is on CH 3. How will this work with my JR 10x, as the Fail Safe is set by the Module.

Info is in the PDF document,
http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.s...1b3e0dc1460649

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 PM
superflyboy1988

i dont know that i have only used them with my futaba 7c
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
pilotpete2

The module switches the first four channels to conform with Futabas sequence[8D]. So your throttle will be on channel 3 of the Futaba receiver. JR did the same thing with the DM8 module for Futaba radios.
Best of luck flying in the FASST lane. This is my 4th season without a hitch, couldn't be happier!
Pete
Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

The module switches the first four channels to conform with Futabas sequence[8D]. So your throttle will be on channel 3 of the Futaba receiver. JR did the same thing with the DM8 module for Futaba radios.
Best of luck flying in the FASST lane. This is my 4th season without a hitch, couldn't be happier!
Pete
Fantastic, exactly what I wanted to know,
Now I can get a few of the R617FS's to replace my Spektrum rx's just for my sports planes, in readiness for either a 12FG or 12Z (if I can aford it).
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
ozzieflyer

Another question regarding Failsafe on the 2.4 R617 Rx, or any FASST Rx for that matter.
When you power on the Rx, if the Tx is NOT on, do the servos' drive to their neutral position, like the Spektrum Ar7000 does?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM
pilotpete2

Thankfully no! Futaba receivers output no signal on all channels until the receiver links to the transmitter. If I turn on any of my FASST receivers without the Tx on, the control surfaces stay where they're at and an ESC will not arm, same as with all Spektrum receivers, they too don't output any signal on the throttle channel until the link is established.
So if you turn on your receiver on a retract equipped model, the retracts won't retract on the starting stand unless the retract switch tells them to when the link is established.[&o]
One thing you'll really like with FASST, is that when you turn on your receiver with the TX already on, connection is instantaneous, just like in the old days with a PPM/FM rig[8D]
Pete
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
ozzieflyer

So are people happy with the Performance of the R617FS rx's?

Seeing as I am going to replace about 6 Spektrum Rx's, teh R617FS's aren't toooo bad a price, so am keen to go down that path if people are happy with their performance.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
pilotpete2

I couldn't be happier with them. I even used one in my 30cc gas powered model for one season, but I replaced it with an R6008HS that came with my 8FG. The R617FS is a very solid performer and reasonably priced.
Pete
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfully no! Futaba receivers output no signal on all channels until the receiver links to the transmitter. If I turn on any of my FASST receivers without the Tx on, the control surfaces stay where they're at and an ESC will not arm, same as with all Spektrum receivers, they too don't output any signal on the throttle channel until the link is established.
So if you turn on your receiver on a retract equipped model, the retracts won't retract on the starting stand unless the retract switch tells them to when the link is established.[&o]
One thing you'll really like with FASST, is that when you turn on your receiver with the TX already on, connection is instantaneous, just like in the old days with a PPM/FM rig[8D]
Pete
Doesn't the Rx go to Failsafe if you turn on the Rx before the Tx or does it only do that if the Tx and Rx are Linked and the Rx loses the Link?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Silent-AV8R

The TX has to send the failsafe settings to the RX. It does this when you first turn on the TX, which is why if you turn on the RX last you need to wait another minute or so for the failsafe settings to get sent. The TX sends them right when it is first turned on and then periodically after that. +/- every minute or so IIRC.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The TX has to send the failsafe settings to the RX. It does this when you first turn on the TX, which is why if you turn on the RX last you need to wait another minute or so for the failsafe settings to get sent. The TX sends them right when it is first turned on and then periodically after that. +/- every minute or so IIRC.
OK!! I was under the impression that the Failsafe Settings were only saved to the Rx when you Bind and remain in Non-Volatile RAM until you Bind again. Are you saying that the Failsafe Settings are saved to the Tx and then rebroadcast to the Rx at Intervals? Does that mean that the Rx loses the Failsafe Settings when the power is lost to the Rx?

Is this something Unique to Futaba 2.4?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

OK!! I was under the impression that the Failsafe Settings were only saved to the Rx when you Bind and remain in Non-Volatile RAM until you Bind again. Are you saying that the Failsafe Settings are saved to the Tx and then rebroadcast to the Rx at Intervals? Does that mean that the Rx loses the Failsafe Settings when the power is lost to the Rx?

Is this something Unique to Futaba 2.4?
This was my impression too, that the Fail Safe gets SET ONCE on the RX, and then it keeps that setting for ever, until you reset it again.
I thought if you use a Robbe FASST moduel, in a JR 10x, (like I intend to), there is NO failsafe set from the Tranny, but all comes form the Module.

Like in the Spektrum module, and Spektrum Rx's, yo uset the FailSafe, as you bind the RX, then it keeps those settings until you rebind/reset the failsafe.

Is not the Futaba FASST the same, or similar? I thought the "The TX has to send the failsafe settings to the RX. It does this when you first turn on the TX, which is why if you turn on the RX last you need to wait another minute or so for the failsafe settings to get sent. The TX sends them right when it is first turned on and then periodically after that. +/- every minute or so IIRC. " was for FM PCM days.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Silent-AV8R

NO, the Futaba FASST systems send the failsafe every time you turn on. That way the RX always has the most up to date info. And it resends it every minute or so IIRC. I am fairly certain of this, but will confirm it to be sure.

Keep in ind that you do not "bind" a FASST RX, you link it to that TX. But what would happen if I swapped out two 617 RXs in a plane? Both are linked to the same TX. Nothing, the failsafe does not travel with the RX, it is sent by the TX.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
BuschBarber

NO, the Futaba FASST systems send the failsafe every time you turn on. That way the RX always has the most up to date info. And it resends it every minute or so IIRC. I am fairly certain of this, but will confirm it to be sure.

Keep in ind that you do not ''bind'' a FASST RX, you link it to that TX. But what would happen if I swapped out two 617 RXs in a plane? Both are linked to the same TX. Nothing, the failsafe does not travel with the RX, it is sent by the TX.
Ok!! So it is unique to Futaba FASST. The transmitter stores the Failsafe Settings in memory? In other words, the Failsafe Settings are stored in the model memory, as in the days of PCM?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I like my 617 rx's.binding is much simpler than spectrum.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Keep in ind that you do not ''bind'' a FASST RX, you link it to that TX. But what would happen if I swapped out two 617 RXs in a plane? Both are linked to the same TX. Nothing, the failsafe does not travel with the RX, it is sent by the TX.
Ok!! So it is unique to Futaba FASST. The transmitter stores the Failsafe Settings in memory? In other words, the Failsafe Settings are stored in the model memory, as in the days of PCM?
BUT,
with a FASST Robbe module in a JR 10x, there is no way the failsafe can be sent from the Tx.

Here's some info from the Robbe Fasst Module manual.

Fail-Safe / Hold-Mode switching
In certain circumstances (interference) the radio link between transmitter
and receiver may fail. For such occurrences you can select either of two
response modes:

1. ‘NOR’ (normal), or Hold Mode
If interference should occur, the receiver stores the last error-free signals
and passes them on to the servos. These positions are maintained until
the receiver picks up valid signals from the transmitter again.
2. ‘F/S’ (fail-safe) mode
In this mode the throttle servo runs to a position pre-programmed on the
HFM12-MX module; the setting is also stored in the receiver.
Switching the function on:
• Locate the “F/S RANGE†button on the module, and hold it pressed in
for about two seconds while you switch the transmitter on.
• Watch the LED on the module to determine the set mode: if the green
LED glows constantly, the (Hold) function is active; if it flashes at a high
rate, the (F/S) function is switched on.
• Repeating the procedure switches the module back to Hold Mode.
• This is the procedure for setting up the (F/S) positions:
Move the throttle stick to the desired FAILSAFE position, then press the
“Easy Link†button on the receiver to accept the values; hold the button
pressed in until the LED on the receiver glows red once.
NOTE:
During the binding procedure no other FASST or RASST system should
be switched on in the vicinity, otherwise there is a risk that the receiver will
bind to the “wrong†transmitter. Don’t set the F/S throttle value too low, as
this could cause the motor to cut out completely when interference
occurs.
IIMPORTANT:
The fail-safe function is permanently pre-set to Channel 3 (throttle) on
the R 607 FS and R617 FS receivers. Due to differences in servo
assignment sequences between Graupner equipment (throttle channel
1) and robbe/Futaba systems (throttle channel 3), channels 1 and 3 are
interchanged in the software of the HFM 12MX module. As a result it is
necessary to swap over the servo outputs 1 and 3 at the receiver (see
table below).
In Helicopter mode no F/S function is available for the throttle channel.
Simply switch to “HOLD†mode.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
enforcer158
My Feedback: (17)

Aloha Rich
The 617s fail safe is very good. For example, I have more than 5 planes on my 7c, all using the 617s, and I have started one of my planes(senior moment) while my tx was still on another plane that I just flew. The fail safe idled the plane I was starting and that made me look at my tx and realize I did'nt have the correct plane selected. I also have helped some of my fellow 7c flyers programing the fail safe for their transmitters.

If you are warming up your engine, say, 3/4 throttle and turn off your transmitter, the fail safe mode will kick in and chop the throttle to idle, if that is where you have set the fail safe to go. I love it!!

I have even showed my friends that if you lose signal(like turning off the tx for a second or two) while the plane is flying (very high) it automaticly goes to idle, than instantly re connects when I turn on the tx. Any way, all I can say is the 617s are in all my planes and I'm very, very satified!!

Mahalo from Kauai, Hawaii. Keep m spinning!!

Mike
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 AM
ozzieflyer

Pete
Are you using the FASST module on a JR?
If so, which JR?

I am looking to use it on my 10x, with a long term view (well not tooo long term) of going for a Futaba 12FG or 12Z
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 AM
ozzieflyer

But what would happen if I swapped out two 617 RXs in a plane? Both are linked to the same TX. Nothing, the failsafe does not travel with the RX, it is sent by the TX.
I don't think this is right.
I am sure, in FASST or spektrum FS setting, teh fail safe is set on the RX. I have re-read the 12fg and 12z TX manuals a lot this past week, no where can I find a Fail safe setting.
But on the RX manuals, it shows how to set, or reset the failsafe, ON the Receiver,

This is from the R6208SB manual,
Link to the transmitter
1 Press and hold the Link/Mode switch more than two(2)
seconds.
Re-adjust the F/S position (only for TM-8)
1 Press and hold the Link/Mode switch between one(1)
and two(2) seconds.

Can't find an actual online manual for the R617FS
Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 AM
ozzieflyer

Pete
Are you using the Robbe unit, or the Ripmax unit, which I believe are the exact same unit, apart from the Ripmax uni being a rebadged Robbe unit?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

But what would happen if I swapped out two 617 RXs in a plane? Both are linked to the same TX. Nothing, the failsafe does not travel with the RX, it is sent by the TX.
I am sure, in FASST or spektrum FS setting, teh fail safe is set on the RX. I have re-read the 12fg and 12z TX manuals a lot this past week, no where can I find a Fail safe setting.
But on the RX manuals, it shows how to set, or reset the failsafe, ON the Receiver,

This is from the R6208SB manual,
Link to the transmitter
1 Press and hold the Link/Mode switch more than two(2)
seconds.
Re-adjust the F/S position (only for TM-8)
1 Press and hold the Link/Mode switch between one(1)
and two(2) seconds.

Can't find an actual online manual for the R617FS
I used to have a Futaba 9CAP PCM transmitter. With that transmitter, you adjusted the Failsafe Settings in the programming of the transmitter. That was 72Mhz.

Today, with my JR 9303, there are no settings in the transmitter, for Failsafe. Depending upon the model receiver you use, you can can choose Failsafe Hold (every channel Holds it's position and Throttle goes to Idle) or Failsafe Preset (all channels go to Preset positions). Failsafe is set during the Bind process and the settings are saved to the receiver.

I cannot speak for Futaba FASST. I am sure that however it works, it works fine. I don't understand why the Tx would constantly send the Failsafe Settings to the Rx as opposed to saving the Failsafe Settings to the Rx each time you Bind, but if it works, that is all that matters. Either way, the Rx must store the Failsafe Settings in Memory, because when the Rx looses the Link (Signal) with the Tx, it instructs the servos to Hold or go to their Preset positions.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 AM
DougV

Go to page #60 here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8fg-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

That's how F/S is done with Futaba radios.

And here's how F/S is set with the Futaba TM-8 module (page 3): http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/tm8-manual.pdf

Doug.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

Once again, you do not set failsafe in the RX. See page 60 of the 8FG manual, page 50 of the 10CG manual, page 60 of the 12FG manual, and page 63 of the 14MZ manual, and finally this is from the TM-14 manual used on the 12Z and 14MZ:

The TM-14 allows the modeler to adjust the Fail Safe settings via the transmitter. There are two different operational RF modes offered by the TM-14: "MULTI-CH" and "7-CH mode". The available Fail Safe settings vary depending upon which
receiver model and RF mode are being utilized. 7-CH Mode: When using the "7-CH mode", Fail Safe is only available for channel three (throttle).

MULTI-CH Mode: If you are utilizing the "MULTI-CH" mode, as is the case with the R6014FS, Fail Safe settings and
operation are identical to that of the fail safe when using the PCM- G3 receivers. The F/S is suggested for use as it offers a safety factor when controlling your models. It is also possible to cancel the F/S operation if you do not wish to use it.

With the TM-8 module, and ONLY with the TM-8 Module, you set failsafe by using the RX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.