Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Travel-size, compact, portable transmitter (TX)

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Travel-size, compact, portable transmitter (TX)

Does anybody have a few recommendations for a compact-size transmitter? I'm looking for something I could easily fit in a small backpack for day hikes to use with my small gliders. My full-size transmitters takes up too much room, and they are easy to damage on hiking trips. For that reason, cheaper is better, but I'm not opposed to spending a little bit as long as it's a compact design that would fit in a small box. I would look at 2.4 or FM versions.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Travel-size, compact, portable transmitter (TX)

Other than the trasmitters included with some toys sold a department stores, I do not know of any manufacturer that builds tranmitters smaller than the standard size. I know of a few manufacturers that build even bigger transmitters, but not smaller.

How small are you looking at? I've been able to put my 9 channel transmitter in backpacks and carry-bags without a problem of course being careful to protect the switches and gimbals. Maybe you can find the foam insert that your radio came in from the factory and make a protective case of it to be able to drop it in a backpack with little worry.

Rafael
Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Futaba 8FG is a fairly small transmitter. Not necessarily "mini" but smaller than some.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

how many channels are you looking for? for small gliders in the 3 channel range Hitec has some radios with a single gimbal for the right side. http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...-fm-72mhz.html for a "full house"radio maybe you could strip an old 4 or 6 channel radio and fit the stuf into a smaller case.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Spektrum DX4e is pretty small but still big enough to not be a "toy." It works with all the Horizon (Parkzone, E-Flite, Blade) micro planes and heli's, and is full-range so you could use it to fly larger planes at your park or club field.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMR4400

Andy

Disclaimer: I work for Spektrum
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
IL2windhawk

Thanks for the tips~!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
swede47
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.rshobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GWSRCS057A
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
IL2windhawk

OK - i have a new requirement for my travel-size transmitter. After some consideration, I decided that all the above examples are great except for one thing: no model memory! If I have to buy 3 or 4 of these transmitters, then I'm spending the same $$$ as if I bought one fairly nice TX.

It looks like there is a void in the market (hint, hint, hint...!)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions