Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Open Source Remote Control System (OSRC)

Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Gizmoman31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Source Remote Control System (OSRC)

Hi everyone,

We have initiated a project to design and manufacture an Open Source Remote control system which is affordable and packed with features that you normally cannot find on any other system which we named OSRC.

The project is described in the IndieGoGo campaign found at the below link:

http://igg.me/p/33899?a=60860&i=shlk

If you are interested, want to contribute or have any additional suggestions to add to the list of features already described then don't hesitate to post them.

If you want to find out more about who we are then don't hesitate to visit our website at: www.giz****ryou.com
Old 07-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Gizmoman31

Default RE: Open Source Remote Control System (OSRC)

Make sure to check out the IndieGoGo campaign where new features are described and updated. As always if there are any questions then don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Gizmoman31

Don't forget that there is a deadline on the IndieGoGo campaign so if you are interested it wouldn't hurt to comment, contribute or just check it out.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Gizmoman31

No Comments.. really? At least tell us if you like the idea and if one would want to buy such a system if we made it.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 AM
AndyKunz

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Neat idea, but I think you got a much bigger elephant to swallow than you realize.

Why don't you just find a good quality base hardware solution and then engineer the code to run it?

Andy
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Gizmoman31

Neat idea, but I think you got a much bigger elephant to swallow than you realize.
Why do you say that? If you look at our Shop page, every single product there has been completely designed and manufactured by us. If we can design and program a Linux based mobile phone which is considered by most as the pinacle of embedded design then i can assure you we can develop an RC remote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM
RogerParrett

Hello Gizmoman... Interesting site. I was especially intrigued by the "gizzel" products.

As far at the Open Source R/C product, I'm not sure it will go very far for one simple reason. While most of the products you already have on your site are interesting, none of them require the user to put his own equipment at risk to use it. Granted, the mobile phone application is interesting, but if it didn't work, the customer is not out that much.

Things are different with the RC project. You are proposing a set of features that are generally only seen with higher-end flyers (for instance, 16 channels...).

Someone needing 16 channels is probably flying a $1,500+ airframe... and I'm guessing he's not going to risk his high-priced airframe to save $300 with a relatively new guy on the block. I calculated the $300 savings from looking at the cost differential of your system verses a Futaba 12FG (which can be extended to 26 channels).

The video aspects are nice, but they are already here, and they don't require the user to replace his current radio gear. The performance range is also eye-catching - for Homeland Security, that is...

Anyway, you asked for comments... I thought I'd give you my two cents.

Regardless... Good luck in your project.... Roger
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Gizmoman31

Tnx for your feedback Roger and positive comment about our devices.

It is reasonable to doubt a new device when relying on it's first steps but as our primary goal we intend to make it as safe as possible. Having accelerometers and other sensors by default on a receiver end can make the unit self correct, land as well as adjust the plane which i cannot say that most receivers can do without additional hardware so it would be more safe than any other standard receiver by far just on it's own. Combine that with a computing system on your controller and what you get is a beautiful combination for any rc vehicle. The RC controls currently although do their job have the potential for so much more and there is no reson for us not to make it all it can be. The channel quantity is at the last place on features we intend to integrate so it shouldn't be considered as a landmark for the entire product as well as the video aspect. There is no reason for not using a complete computing system to do so much more with a controller and still keep the price down.

At the end of the day it all depends on the end user. Some prefer Futaba, others JR. Some prefer Hitec servos and other another brand.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Gizmoman31
Why do you say that? If you look at our Shop page, every single product there has been completely designed and manufactured by us. If we can design and program a Linux based mobile phone which is considered by most as the pinacle of embedded design then i can assure you we can develop an RC remote
Experience, that's all.

Where's your "shop" page - I see no link to it, and my browser doesn't find the word "shop" anywhere.

Andy
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Gizmoman31

Glad to see such experienced people in the topic. Also nice to know that such experienced people take the time to read our post throughly before making comments about it.

Our page is www.giz****ryou.com (as described in the thread)

The Shop link is the one with the Large Letters "SHOP" and a large button on the Top corner of the page along with all the rest of page sections.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
AndyKunz

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A radio system already exists that is more or less open source. Search out the Microstar 2000, Gordon Anderson and the Ace Micro Pro. They are all related and the Microstar is the latest revision.

The Microstar encoder is inexpensive and can be added to nearly any radio system manufactured within the last 40 years to make it a computer radio. The software is updated on a regular basis to keep the system up to date and even ahead of most any system currently manufactured.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why not improve or modify this system?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Gizmoman31

Thank you for the tip Flyer,

If you are referring to the device located at this link: http://www.mstar2k.com/index.php?opt...d=34&Itemid=11 then we are aware of it. However it is far from what we have in mind and it would tryly be simpler to redesign the entire device from scratch than to begin editing the existing one as there are features we plan on implementing which would simply not be compatible from the beginning.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Gizmoman31

Guys at LinuxForDevices.com heard our work being done on the OSRC and wrote a nice article about it. Check it out here.

Also you will find there the latest Concepts we have been working on.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Gizmoman31

Nice people at Hack a Day have written few words about us, check out the article here: http://hackaday.com/2011/07/19/rc-transmitter-does-everything/
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 AM
RogerParrett

Looks like you've re-designed the system, eh?

Ten days ago the photo(shop) pic was a knock-off of a Futaba 12Z. Now it looks like a brand new design. Except the toggle switches still look like cut and pastes off of the Futaba.

Many of the comments on the site you referenced appear to think you are e-begging at best... a scam at worst.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Gizmoman31

When we first had the idea we had no image to display so we just placed something to represent the concept. As the project progresses we are making the Mechanical design and already begun working on the PCB's and initial software structures. The images you see now are made from our concepts and are based on reference from suggestions as well as best-off what already exists. The switches are simply more confortable like they are now and there are plenty manufacturers who make then in that configuration. The design as it is now and as described in all news posts is a mockup. A 3D representation with proportional scale and base structure from which we can design the final mechanical drawings and build on.

Many people will always think what they like. At some point everyone will have to judge for the selves. We have posted, described and pointed information for everyone based on designs and products we have done in the past with success.

Thank you for your comment and interrest in our project.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Gizmoman31

We have created a thread in our forum in order to gather software features that users might want in the v1.0 device. Feel free to make your own addition there.

http://www.giz****ryou.net/forum/vie...hp?f=86&t=1914
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Gizmoman31

We have posted the final Mechanical designs for the device.Make sure to check them out in the IndieGoGo listing.

http://igg.me/p/33899?a=60860&i=shlk
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Gizmoman31

We have done initial calculations based on quotes from various manufacturers as well as part suppliers. The controller Sale price will be approx 15% – 25% higher than what is stated in the perks listed in this campaign, so by pledging on IndieGoGo you are essentially getting a 15% – 25% discount from the final price.

Please note that the calculations were made for quantities of 100 units or less. For larger quantities (in case we manage to raise that much money) the price should be substantially less.

If there are any questions about the project or requests then please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Gizmoman31

We have done our best to describe to everyone who we are as well as our honest intentions about the OSRC project. If there is anyone that can pull this off then we are it.

Help us make the device a reality as well as making it as great as it can be. All the information about the project can be found through the following links.

Project Campaign - http://igg.me/p/33899?a=60860&i=shlk
Our Website - http://www.giz****ryou.com
Things we have done - http://www.giz****ryou.net/site/gizmos.html
OSRC Forum Thread - http://www.giz****ryou.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=86

If there are any questions or requests that you would like to make then don't hesitate to post them in our forum or in the IndieGoGo campaign. At this point every dollar counts so we ask of everyone to give us this opportunity and create a truly phenomenal device. Please have in mind that based on this reply there are only 33 days left for the fundraiser at the end of which if we manage to raise the required amount we shall proceed with development and if not then we shall return all funds back to you so there is nothing to loose for anyone.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone and hope there will be more of it to come. You know where to find us so please contact us if there are any questions.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Gizmoman31

Check out our news for this week where we go through things that already have been done for OSRC as well as show some images of the first prototyped stick assembly for the system!

Once again we would like to remind everyone that the project (as any other we make) shall be completely Open Source and covered by the CERN OHL as well as GNU GPL licenses and free to the public. Also have in mind that the perks at the IndieGoGo campaign are limited in number so if you would like to secure your device before the end of the campaign then Pre-Order it through the perk of your choice.

If you just wish to contribute to the cause then again you are more than welcome. We shall include your name in the project section as well as in the "About" section inside the control OS. For those who feel hesitant to contribute, as stated in the project description - If we cannot gather the required funds by the end of the campaign then we shall return each and every contribution.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Gizmoman31

15 days to go now. We are cutting it pretty close with the deadline. Don’t forget that all these wonderful features and the device it self will ONLY be available if we manage to at least collect the required amount of $15000 so help us out before the time runs out as we shall have to return all funds and left with nothing to develop the device.

Having many channels on the system, GPS, large display and other cool things is just an after effect of the design it self since there could be more implementation there than we actually mention.

However one of the main features we shall be focusing on is the “Self Actuated Sticks”. No control system until now can do this and the features is just screaming to be exploited. The reason we are doing this function is to be able to educate beginners. We shall be concentrating on having Lessons that the control system will give to the user, taking into account feedback from the IMU unit on-board the craft and adjusting the controls while teaching the pilot.

If we design the system correctly this feature could save anyone a lot of crashes and unnecessary headache, giving way for learning and more fun. Besides the lessons there also could be “Trick” moves which would be recorded by professional pilots and then reconstructed through the sticks, thus giving the ability for anyone to learn them. We watched many beginners looking at what the “good” pilot is doing while flying and this should eliminate that as well.

There are many implementations not just for this feature but for others as well. As a bottom line in the long run, beginner or a professional, the system could save the pilot tons of money on spare parts and unwanted crashes.

All things considering the price of the controller isn’t that large with tons of new features and even more, where other controllers twice the price have no excuse.

Once again the link to the campaign can be found here: http://igg.me/p/33899?a=60860&i=shlk
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Gizmoman31

Although there are only 10 days left now on the campaign, it is still plenty of time to raise the funds needed for this project. We tried to describe the applications and potential of our idea as best as we could. Help us bring the device to reality and chart new course for all RC enthusiasts.

As always, if there are any questions about the system or suggestions then don’t hesitate to say so in our forum.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:00 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can deliver against what you promise Gizmo, they will come.

Hopefully the wind blows from bwhind on this project but kudos for tackling it.

BTW theres a few radio manufacturer reps here who probably have a vested interest in you not succeeding...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.