Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need major radio help before i blow it.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
vettechjamie
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need major radio help before i blow it.

Hello all Im in need of some help. I got a jr xp9303 radio and no charger. here is what i have.

Please watch this short youtube video to see they types of connectors and adapters i have.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGsBDdYbig[/youtube]

I have a nimh battery with a small white connector.

I have a cut end of the standard jr plug that goes into the tx with no connector.
it says positive is outside and negative is inside.
reading my manual it says this

CHARGER PIGTAIL FOR TRANSMITTER
BLACK TO POSITIVE
RED TO NEGATIVE
And there is a diagram.

The center pin on all JR® Remote Control Systems is negative. Therefore, the center pin on all JR chargers is negative, not positive. This is different from many other manufacturers’ chargers and radio systems. Beware of improper connections based on "color-coded" wire leads, as they do not apply in this instance. You must make sure that the center pin of your JR transmitter is always connected to the negative voltage for correct polarity hookup.
Important: Please note that the charging polarity of the transmitter and receiver are different.

I have the pigtale with a female futaba end

and i have 2 jr charging leads with a male on one end and nothing on the other.

I am unsure how to put these together

I am good with soldering ect im just unsure of the polarity and i do not want to blow my radio trying to charge it with an incorrect plug.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need major radio help before i blow it.

Do you have a volt meter? The red plug on the charger is most likely the TX charge lead with a JST connector installed. Use the volt meter to determine the polarity and output of the red pug wires. If it is the TX charge lead then cut off the red plug, solder the JR TX plug onto the charger cord. (Make sure of polarity) double check the connections with the volt meter to ensure the round plug is correct before use.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need major radio help before i blow it.

ORIGINAL: vettechjamie

Hello all Im in need of some help. I got a jr xp9303 radio and no charger. here is what i have.

Please watch this short youtube video to see they types of connectors and adapters i have.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGsBDdYbig[/youtube]

I have a nimh battery with a small white connector.

I have a cut end of the standard jr plug that goes into the tx with no connector.
it says positive is outside and negative is inside.
reading my manual it says this

CHARGER PIGTAIL FOR TRANSMITTER
BLACK TO POSITIVE
RED TO NEGATIVE
And there is a diagram.

The center pin on all JR® Remote Control Systems is negative. Therefore, the center pin on all JR chargers is negative, not positive. This is different from many other manufacturers’ chargers and radio systems. Beware of improper connections based on ''color-coded'' wire leads, as they do not apply in this instance. You must make sure that the center pin of your JR transmitter is always connected to the negative voltage for correct polarity hookup.
Important: Please note that the charging polarity of the transmitter and receiver are different.

I have the pigtale with a female futaba end

and i have 2 jr charging leads with a male on one end and nothing on the other.

I am unsure how to put these together

I am good with soldering ect im just unsure of the polarity and i do not want to blow my radio trying to charge it with an incorrect plug.
If you open the Battery Door on the XP9303, you can plug the white Battery connector into the 3pin connector on a circuit board inside the Battery compartment. If you have removed the Battery from the transmitter Battery compartment, then you are probably aware of this already.

Normally, all RC radios come with Wall Chargers (affectionately known as Wall Warts). The come with a cylindrical Tx charge connector and a male Rx charge connector. You can buy this wall chargers at you Local Hobby Shop (LHS), from local RC pilots, on eBay or RCU, and at RC Trade Shows. Since many of these Wall Warts look alike, you need to be sure that you buy a JR/Spektrum compatible Wall Wart, because the Polarity of the Tx charge connector is different from the Futaba compatible charge jack. Also the cylindrical Tx charge connector has a particular outside and inside diameter that may be different for each manufacturer's Tx.

While the Wall Wart charger is adequate, it charges at a very low rate (NiMh batteries do not like Fast Charging at high rates, anyway). There is also no feedback to prevent Overcharging.

I much prefer a Cycling Charger such as the Triton or the FMA 4S Multi. They Alert you if you are using a charge connector that is the wrong Polarity, they Anticipate the Peak Voltage and prevent Overcharging, and they allow you to Cycle the batteries if you think that they have lost some of their capacity (espeically if the batteries have been sitting Dormant from long periods of time).

The male Rx charge connector is the same as the male Servo Extension connector that comes on JR/Spektrum extension cables. You can plug it directly into the female connector on a JR/Spektrum Rx battery or the Switch Harness on your aircraft.

When using a Wall Wart charger, you usually charge for 18 hours. When you turn on the Tx, you will see a readout of the Tx battery voltage. 10.5v is usually Fully Charged and 9.6v is time to Recharge. You can use 4.8v (4cell) or 6v (5cell) Rx battery packs depending upon what type of servos you are using. 6v will give you more Torque and Speed, but not all servos can handle 6v. Most Rx's can handle 6v.

I have been using my two XP9303 Tx's for the past 5 years. One has a Spektrum RF Module that allows me to use any JR/Spektrum 2.4Ghz Rx. The other Tx has a 72Mhz JR Synthesized RF Module that allows me to dial in any of the 50 72Mhz channels.

I use 3cell 2500mah LiPo Tx packs in all my Tx's, including my 9303's. I pull the Tx batteries and charge them through the Balancing Taps on my FMA Cellpro 4S or 10S chargers. They charge in half an hour and I can fly for weeks before I have to recharge. I have never had a Hint of a problem with these batteries. For those who are afraid of the higher voltage, you can just charge the batteries up to 11v or splice in Radio Shack Diodes to the Positive battery lead to drop the voltage .3v per Diode. This is well documented on many other threads. If you need to stay with NiMh batteries, I would suggest Eneloop batteries. They hold their charge like a LiPo and do not Self Discharge like normal NiMh batteries. You can also go with LiFe batteries that have a lower voltage (3.3v per cell) vs LiPos (3.7v per cell).

I use 2500mah LiPos, LithIons, or LiFe for my Rx and Ignition batteries, with the appropriate voltage regulator. I can fly for more than a week without recharging and recharge in 30min.