Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R617fs and R6208SB with Hitec servos

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
ozzieflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba R617fs and R6208SB with Hitec servos

Just setting up my old 84 inch Extra 300s,(scratch built), Zenoah 62cc
Flew it for years with 2 x hitec 425 BB's on the elevators, a 605 MG on the rudder, an 2 x 605 MG's on the ailerons.
When I changed from PCM to Spektrum module in my JR, made no changes, apart from using a 6volt Rx pack (Eneloops)

Have switched to 2.4 ghz FASST.
Find the 605 servos, when you turn on the TX, then the Rx will hum and buz, searching for their centre point. You can actually move the servo's by Hand.
The 425's on the elevators, will sometimes do the same, then find their centre.
Is this just normal? I have a stack of sport's planes with the Hitec 425 BB servos, are these servos now going to be unusable?

I know they are old old servos, but they were rated as the right torque 14 years ago when I first started flying this 'plane.

Now it seems I need higher torque Digitals, etc. By today's standards, using 425's in elevators (no 3D stuff, but scale aerobaics) is not enough.

Also, have read that 2000 mah Aneloops are no good for Rx packs?
Why, they deliver high current to cameras etc.

Lots of questions here, hope you guys can offer some help.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: Futaba R617fs and R6208SB with Hitec servos

I'm not a Futaba flyer, but it sounds like it might be too fast of a frame rate for the older analog servos.

Is there a selectable frame rate (high-speed mode, etc) that you can change?

I know my DX8 has 11mS or 22mS selectable, and the manual cautions that 11mS is only for use with digital servos. I'm pretty sure Futaba has something similar.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I'm not a Futaba flyer, but it sounds like it might be too fast of a frame rate for the older analog servos.

Is there a selectable frame rate (high-speed mode, etc) that you can change?

I know my DX8 has 11mS or 22mS selectable, and the manual cautions that 11mS is only for use with digital servos. I'm pretty sure Futaba has something similar.

on the R6208, you can make it switch to a super fast mode, and this really send the servos nuts. So I have it back in "Normal".
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

Just setting up my old 84 inch Extra 300s,(scratch built), Zenoah 62cc
Flew it for years with 2 x hitec 425 BB's on the elevators, a 605 MG on the rudder, an 2 x 605 MG's on the ailerons.
When I changed from PCM to Spektrum module in my JR, made no changes, apart from using a 6volt Rx pack (Eneloops)

Have switched to 2.4 ghz FASST.
Find the 605 servos, when you turn on the TX, then the Rx will hum and buz, searching for their centre point. You can actually move the servo's by Hand.
The 425's on the elevators, will sometimes do the same, then find their centre.
Is this just normal? I have a stack of sport's planes with the Hitec 425 BB servos, are these servos now going to be unusable?

I know they are old old servos, but they were rated as the right torque 14 years ago when I first started flying this 'plane.

Now it seems I need higher torque Digitals, etc. By today's standards, using 425's in elevators (no 3D stuff, but scale aerobaics) is not enough.

Also, have read that 2000 mah Aneloops are no good for Rx packs?
Why, they deliver high current to cameras etc.

Lots of questions here, hope you guys can offer some help.

Eneloops are fine for Transmitters. I prefer LiPos and I have had no problems since I started using 3cell 2500mah LiPo Tx packs over 4 years ago.

I use 2cell LiFe, LiPo, or LithIon Rx packs for all my aircraft. They charge in half an hour, the charge lasts for months, and they are light. I disconnect them at the end of each day. LiPo and LithIon require a voltage regulator unless you are using HV servos that can run at 8.4v (fully charged LiPo or LithIon). I use FMA Cellpro 4S Multi or 10S. Many of my fellow RC club members use these same Rx packs unless they do not have the Lithium chargers. As they move to Electric power, more and more are purchasing Lithium chargers and switch away from NiCad/NiMh Rx packs. The cost of the Lithium packs are now comparable to NiCad/NiMh.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Pippin

Hitec analogs do not like higher frame rates than 18ms. Hitec uses some kind of cheap electronic circuit that has a very narrow tolerance to different frame rates. Because of the benefits of higher frame rates, I sold all my Hitec analogs. Either you get some quality analog servos or digitals. Or you stay at at low frame rates like in the old days. But you would miss out some of the features 2.4Ghz does offer.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Hitec analogs do not like higher frame rates than 18ms. Hitec uses some kind of cheap electronic circuit that has a very narrow tolerance to different frame rates. Because of the benefits of higher frame rates, I sold all my Hitec analogs. Either you get some quality analog servos or digitals. Or you stay at at low frame rates like in the old days. But you would miss out some of the features 2.4Ghz does offer.
Well that explains it.

I am sure there are a few guys in the club that will like some cheap servos.
And the 605's I've had for 15 years,

I'll swap them for the HS645 digitals, they work perfectly, or I might even go for the Futaba's in the same specs as the Hitec 645's.

Thanks heaps.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Eneloops are fine for Transmitters. I prefer LiPos and I have had no problems since I started using 3cell 2500mah LiPo Tx packs over 4 years ago.

I use 2cell LiFe, LiPo, or LithIon Rx packs for all my aircraft. They charge in half an hour, the charge lasts for months, and they are light. I disconnect them at the end of each day. LiPo and LithIon require a voltage regulator unless you are using HV servos that can run at 8.4v (fully charged LiPo or LithIon). I use FMA Cellpro 4S Multi or 10S. Many of my fellow RC club members use these same Rx packs unless they do not have the Lithium chargers. As they move to Electric power, more and more are purchasing Lithium chargers and switch away from NiCad/NiMh Rx packs. The cost of the Lithium packs are now comparable to NiCad/NiMh.
Ok, looks like I am going to go down the path of the 2Cell Life, lots to learn.
Have now seen these "series" 2 where the charge/balance connection is integrated. Found lots of good info here,
like there is a First Generation with separate charge and Balance, or second Generation, where the charge/balance is integrated.
See here http://www.hangtimes.com/a123rxsetup.html

So have found the packs locally, they compare well in price to NiMH, or NiCDs.

I just haven't figured out how to check you flight pack before each flight, like I have been for 20 years with a loaded Expanded voltage meter on my Nicads.
Any ideas and reccomendations?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Ok, looks like I am going to go down the path of the 2Cell Life, lots to learn.
Have now seen these ''series'' 2 where the charge/balance connection is integrated. Found lots of good info here,
like there is a First Generation with separate charge and Balance, or second Generation, where the charge/balance is integrated.
See here http://www.hangtimes.com/a123rxsetup.html

So have found the packs locally, they compare well in price to NiMH, or NiCDs.

I just haven't figured out how to check you flight pack before each flight, like I have been for 20 years with a loaded Expanded voltage meter on my Nicads.
Any ideas and reccomendations?
I use a H9 ESV with a 1a or 2a load to check my LiPos or LithIons. I check the Rx voltage before every flight. When the voltage drops from 8.4 to 7v, I recharge. Also, when I put my Lithium batteries on my FMA 10S, I receive a readout of the % of Capacity Left, the Voltage for each Cell, and the Total Pack Voltage.

LiFe maintains a fairly flat Discharge Curve, so an ESV is not very usefull since the voltage does not drop off slowly, but rather sharply, as it reaches the minimum. With LiFe batteries, I keep track of the amount of time they are in use and I connect them to the charger every couple of days, just to top them off.