Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best 9C Conversion

Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
canmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 9C Conversion

Getting back into flying and my Futaba 9C is now out of date if I want fly outside my local field
I want to upgrade to new 2.4 technology but am not sure of which direction to go
Should I get a new radio (Futaba, JR, Hitec)
Can I upgrade existing 9C and which sytem is best
I currently fly an Advance 25e and Horizon Beaver
I want a radio system that won't break the bank but will be allow me to move up to more advanced aircraft later

Thanks

Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best 9C Conversion

ORIGINAL: canmann

Getting back into flying and my Futaba 9C is now out of date if I want fly outside my local field
I want to upgrade to new 2.4 technology but am not sure of which direction to go
Should I get a new radio (Futaba, JR, Hitec)
Can I upgrade existing 9C and which sytem is best
I currently fly an Advance 25e and Horizon Beaver
I want a radio system that won't break the bank but will be allow me to move up to more advanced aircraft later

Thanks

Whatever 2.4 Upgrade product you choose, for your 9C, you will be limited to 8 channels. If that is not a problem, you can go with Furaba, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, XPS, or several products from Hobby King. There are others I cannot remember, as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
canmann

Thank Rich
8 channels are enough for my use
I really want to know if converting my 9C is a good move or should I just buy a new radio
Love the 9C and hate to get rid of it
I would like to hear what others have done
I will also need at least 2 more recievers to convert
The guys at my field are no help as it is equally divided between Futaba, JR and Hitec
Are some of the other (XPS) reliable

Remember: A fool can ask a 1000 questions a wise man can not answer

Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: canmann

Thank Rich
8 channels are enough for my use
I really want to know if converting my 9C is a good move or should I just buy a new radio
Love the 9C and hate to get rid of it
I would like to hear what others have done
I will also need at least 2 more recievers to convert
The guys at my field are no help as it is equally divided between Futaba, JR and Hitec
Are some of the other (XPS) reliable

Remember: A fool can ask a 1000 questions a wise man can not answer

I have the JR XP9303 with the Spektrum 2.4 Module. No problems. I hear XPS is fine.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you love your 9C and it is working okay, no need to change it, just upgrade to 2.4 using one of the available module systems of your choice. I love my old 8UAF and so I had it fully checked and serviced by Radio South before converting it to 2.4 with a FrSky system. During approx. ten months of use it's been completely trouble free and rock solid in it's performance.

Karol
Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

I have used a 9C with XPS, SPektrum, and Hitec. All worked fine. I am settled on the Hitec 2.4 and went with an Aurora 9 finally. Now that there is a way to make a Spektrum module work with the A9 for B n F small stuff I am happy.

But............. Nothing wrong with the 9C. It was just driving me crazy waiting for the "chrome" to bubble some day.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

If you're just tooling around then that radio with either the FAAST or Spektrum modules work fine.

If you're going to get serious at some point, that radio is lacking in some areas in regards to system speed and when using dual elevators and such.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a FR Sky module and receiver won't break the bank. I guess a lot of people aren't hot shot flyers like Andy. I still like my 9c and there are several at my club flying some pretty sofisticated aircraft.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM
rudder turns

Hi,I converted my 9c and my 8u to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,to my 24 planes and have never regretted it.All of the hitec receivers come with receiver battery telemetry,And yes you can have separate elevator servos,just turn on alavator and plug into channel 2 and 8,or if you have the 7 channel receiver you have to use a p/mix.[X(]It is has a hopping signal,not just 2 like the JR.Now the best part the price,3/7 channels receivers$150,3/6 channel receivers,$125,brand new on e/bay,all full range,and you can't beat the range,Unbelievable,on low power.About 10 of the members of our club also converted there futaba radios,with the same results,they all love them. Only one word of caution,when range testing,only hold the button for 3 seconds,till it beeps,if you hold it for 8 seconds it goes from normal mode to scan mode,than you must rebind all of your planes again. thanks Ed
Old 07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
BarracudaHockey

Never said it wouldn't do dual elevators, I said it has issues with it, and it does (long ago acknowleged by Futaba), its acutally got it built into the programming, you don't need to waste a p-mix.

Depending on what you're flying you may never notice.

Bottom line, though I don't use it every weekend, I still have the radio
Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Never said it wouldn't do dual elevators, I said it has issues with it, and it does (long ago acknowleged by Futaba), its acutally got it built into the programming, you don't need to waste a p-mix.

Depending on what you're flying you may never notice.

Bottom line, though I don't use it every weekend, I still have the radio
I have mentioned this before, but my last Futaba radio was the 9CAP. It is a good radio and I liked Ailevator, although I don't know anyone who uses the Elevators as Ailerons, except Tailerons for Jets. I do not like the fact that the 9th channel is not proportional and it only works with PCM receivers. When mixing two channels, for Dual Elevators, there is a distinct Lag between Ch2 and Ch8. There are radios from other manufacturers that suffer from the same Lag problem, so it is not unique to Futaba. The other issue was that it is very difficult to put Flaps on a Switch, rather than a Knob. You only get 8 channels when using a 2.4 Module

The JR XP9303 came out when I still had my 9CAP. It has 9 proportional channels whether you use PPM, PCM, or even a 2.4 Module. It has Flaps on a Switch. It has 3 Flight Modes. It has the Mate function. I have two of these transmitters and I still use both today.

While Futaba has stepped up and brought a number of fine radios to the table, at the time, when Spektrum first released 2.4Ghz Modules, the XP9303 did and still does blow away the 9CAP.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM
rudder turns

Hi Rich, If I'm not mistaken you can put flaps on a switch,usually the 3 position switch,by using a p/mix for each flap position.No flap/half flap/full flap.In a p/mix position,under (Master),Look for offset, than (slave) flap,and set the amount of flap that you need for each position.
I also like the ailvator option for duel elevators,just 0 out,ail 3 and ail 4,and your set,YES there is a slight delay,but I haven't really noticed it allot in my Extra. Thanks Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The maximum delay when in PPM mode between elevator modes will be 12 MS. I highly doubt you will notice that.
When in PCM mode there will be quite a bit longer delay but you don't use PCM mode when you convert to 2.4ghz.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

The maximum delay when in PPM mode between elevator modes will be 12 MS. I highly doubt you will notice that.
When in PCM mode there will be quite a bit longer delay but you don't use PCM mode when you convert to 2.4ghz.
Dude, you can see it visually if you move the elevator stick up and down. Its more than the lag between channel updates, its the system speed of the processor.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
dirtybird

I am sorry but I don't see any lag on my 9C when in PPM mode.
In addition when I look at the frame on the 'scope I see a complete frame each time the processor puts one out.
PCM mode is different because it takes more than 1 frame to update the position information
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
pilotpete2

+1,
It's in the mixing that the delay is introduced, due to slow processing speed.
I did fly my old Goldberg Extra 300, modified for dual aileron servos for two seasons with the 9C, one season on 72Mhz and one season on FASST, before moving to the 8FG. I could see the lag on the second elevator on the bench with the 9C, but in the air it never seemed to be an issue.
Pete
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Bax

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As was mentioned above, older systems have slower processors, and so you can get some lag between a master and slave channel when using a mix. This is noticed mostly when you are working with the model on the bench and using large amounts of control movement with rapid stick movement. In the air, you don't usually slam the sticks around, but use smooth movementsthe lag won't be noticed. When you're doing flying where you do slam the sticks, the model is usually gyrating so much that the slight lag between the two channels won't be noticed, either.

The lag was noticed mostly in eCCPM helis when doing 3D-type maneuvers. The lag in the mixing does cause the swashplate to move unevenly, which the modeler must compensate for.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
dirtybird

I see now why I have no delay between channels. I linked the channels together in the XPS receiver. I did not use mixing.
You should try XPS. It solves problems.